Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 10th Feb 06, 6:02 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Internet Telephony: Completely Free Calls Worldwide Article Discussion Area
    • 10th Feb 06, 6:02 PM
    Internet Telephony: Completely Free Calls Worldwide Article Discussion Area 10th Feb 06 at 6:02 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Internet Telephony: Completely Free Calls Worldwide article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click the reply button.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 25-03-2014 at 9:29 PM.
Page 3
  • wlcnetwork
    Skype Charges
    I have just noticed my skype calls have gone up in cost, this seems to be due to a new connection charge that started sometime in January.

The connection charge is roughly the equivalent of 3 minutes call time.

I wasn't notified of this, was anyone else?
    by derx
    I don't think anyone was informed, specifically, about the new connection charge. It's one of those things we're supposed to find out by regularly checking the Skype web pages or by making a call!
  • bighassan

I told Orange that I wanted to transfer my (slow) Broadband connection to BT Internet and they immediately offered me a much faster service and a free "Livebox" which has a socket where you can plug in an ordinary telephone. They supply you with a new telephone number (additional to your normal phone number) and you can then call landlines in over 100 countries WITHOUT YOUR COMPUTER HAVING TO BE TURNED ON!

Here's some info from theirr website:

About Talk

Have you upgraded to Talk yet? You can make all your phone calls cheaper using our Talk service. All you need is the wireless Livebox modem.

Talk Anytime International
    Our Broadband Unlimited package lets you chat away to UK landline numbers starting with 01 and 02, landlines in 100 countries, and other Talk customers. Just plug a normal telephone into your Livebox and you can make calls through your broadband connection without your computer being on. Talk whenever you want, 24/7.

Talk Anytime price/minute
    UK landline numbers starting with 01 and 02 free
    calls to 100 countries overseas free
    other Talk customers free
    Orange mobile (if you're an Orange pay monthly mobile customer) free
    mobile 10p

Livebox FAQs
    'Make calls using broadband' - what does that mean?
    A new technology called VoIP (voice over Internet protocol) lets you make calls using broadband. It works by converting calls into data sent through your broadband connection.

Can I use Talk and get rid of my home phone line?
    No. You need your home phone line to get broadband. Use Talk as a cheaper alternative or as a second line.

Do I need another phone to use the service?
    Yes. You need a normal touch-tone phone to plug into your Livebox. You can also use a cordless phone.

What if I need to call the emergency services?
    If you need to call emergency services, it's better to use your landline or a mobile. You can make the call via the Livebox but it will be made via your normal landline.

What if I need to make a phone call that lasts more than two hours?
    There's a maximum call length of two hours. If you need to talk for more than two hours, simply hang up and redial the same number.

Why do I need a Livebox to use the service?
    The phone calls made using the Talk service use your home broadband connection. The Livebox is our unique broadband modem that lets you link your computer without wires and connect a phone to it so you can make calls using your broadband connection rather than your usual phone line.

Can people call me on Talk?
    Of course. We'll give you a phone number so people can call you. You'll also get voicemail for messages.

What do I need to get wireless?
    You need a computer with Windows 98 or later, a CD-Rom drive and an Ethernet port. If you havent got a wireless-enabled computer, youll need a wireless adaptor. You can buy one from our online shop.

How do I know if my computer is wireless enabled?
    To check if your computer is wireless enabled go to Start, then Control Panel and double-click on Network Connections. If your computer is wireless enabled youll see available wireless connections in your area.

Will any wireless adaptor work?
    The Livebox works with all adaptors that carry the Wi-Fi industry standard mark.

How far can my computer be from my modem to get wireless?
    You can use broadband from anywhere in your home and garden, up to 100m away from your Livebox. Concrete walls may affect your signal.

Does the Livebox work with Apple Macs?
    Our wireless adaptor isnt compatible with Apple Macs but you should be able to connect to the Livebox using your AirPort. Were sorry, we dont provide technical support if you're using your Livebox with an Apple computer.
  • Gurrier
    I don't think anyone was informed, specifically, about the new connection charge. It's one of those things we're supposed to find out by regularly checking the Skype web pages or by making a call!
    by wlcnetwork
    Wait, it gets even better. Skype seem to have been charging double connection charges since January 18th (when they introduced the connection fee). There is absolute mayhem on their forum - and of course Skype have said nothing!
  • computerwoman
    Hi I used to use skype all the time until I discovered googletalk which is to me far better and completely free google-google but no google-landline, and I find the reception alot better.
    cw

Pls be nice to all MSer's
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's
  • KTMcD
    Bt?
    has anyone got any experience or views to share about the BT 'Total Broadband' system with 'home hub'? Knowing virtually nothing about the whole computer phone thing, I signed up for BT's Home Hub phone (2.99 a month) when i upgraded my BT Broadband with them (to 5.5Mb). It hasn't actually arrived yet, so I could still cancel it, but apparently I get free evening and weekend calls. It attached to the modem (hub) which must be on, although the PC itself does not need to be on. I'm never very sure of BT - so am looking for some thumbs up or down?
    thanks
  • wlcnetwork
    I've only just logged into this forum and just seen your post, KTMcD. Did you ever get the info you wanted. If not, let me know and I'll happily share my experience. After persevering, I must say I'm now happy with the BT Total Broadband package.
    Regards
    Bill

has anyone got any experience or views to share about the BT 'Total Broadband' system with 'home hub'? Knowing virtually nothing about the whole computer phone thing, I signed up for BT's Home Hub phone (2.99 a month) when i upgraded my BT Broadband with them (to 5.5Mb). It hasn't actually arrived yet, so I could still cancel it, but apparently I get free evening and weekend calls. It attached to the modem (hub) which must be on, although the PC itself does not need to be on. I'm never very sure of BT - so am looking for some thumbs up or down?
    thanks
    Originally posted by KTMcD
  • jawa1
    Can I do voip with virgin cable broadband?
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 3rd Oct 07, 4:32 PM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Whats Skype Mobile and is it any good?
  • wlcnetwork
    Skype Mobile
    As far as I can tell it appears to be Skype via a Pocket PC or Windows Mobile device which relies on the 3G mobile network or WiFi. Not something I can make use of and so I can't offer any more info. HTH.
    Regards
    Bill
    Whats Skype Mobile and is it any good?
    Originally posted by stphnstevey
  • BexTech
    Can I do voip with virgin cable broadband?
    Originally posted by jawa1
    You sure can.

I was VoIP only (no landline) for 2 years. a PAP2 ATA connected to my cable router and using Sipgate on one line and VoIPStunt on another.

The only reason I know have a phone line again (now Virgin Media) is Virgin offered me it for free with free evening and weekend calls and free install. So use Virgin Media for the free evening and weekend calls and VoIP for the others.

The sister services to VoIPStunt such as JustVoIP and VoIPDiscount may now offer slightly better prices to some destinations.

Most your free days last for 120 days, some 90 days, either way your credit isn't lost on the free days, it's yours to use on other calls and even after the 120 / 90 days you don't lose the credit, you can use it up, you just don't have anymore free days until you top up again.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • shumon_70
    wrong information
    www.myvoipprovider.com, i went to this website to see the lowest rate to call Bangladesh. It shown me www.tpad.com providing call to bangladesh for US$0.056/min. But when i went to the actual site it is saying US$0.08/min.
  • lorac
    Cheap calls
    I have read your emials with interest . I make regular calls to Southern Ireland and it is costing me a fortune. What you talk about sounds really good. How best can I save money through PC to mobile or pc to pc it all sounds very complicated to a novice like me.:confused:
  • irrelevant
    I don't know how mnay of you know, but betamax is a voip provider that run approximately 24 different brands, each with their own unique pricing. Some kind person maintains a comparison site at http://backsla.sh/betamax which I've found very useful.

For the poster above, this shows that you can get calls to Bangladesh (landlines only) completely FREE via their 'lowratevoip.com' brand.

Most of their brands offer calls to Ireland free.

(Free calls are usually granted after you top up some credit, and last for 90 days or so. For me, with voipcheap.com, it costs me 10 every three or four months, and that easilly covers all my chargeable calls too, eg to mobiles, 08*, etc. too!)

You don't need to use a PC, although most of their brands provide custom software if you want to be tied to your desk. You can use an adapter that connects your normal phone direct to your router. Some routers have one built in!

Alternatively, some brands' websites allow you to specify your phone number and any other number, and they'll call you both and connect you together - nothing special needed at all!

Rob
  • BexTech
    I don't know how mnay of you know, but betamax is a voip provider that run approximately 24 different brands, each with their own unique pricing. Some kind person maintains a comparison site at http://backsla.sh/betamax which I've found very useful.
    Originally posted by irrelevant

Yeah, gets mentioned on here quite often, however I'm sure newer posters don't go back through previous threads, so it's always good to see it pop up again.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 5th Apr 08, 10:03 AM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    I make regular calls to Southern Ireland and it is costing me a fortune.
    Originally posted by lorac
    Even using a normal phone, it shouldn't be costing you more than 0.5p or 1p per minute to call Ireland - see HERE.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • mousehole1
    MOBIVOX - VOIP for mobiles and landlines without pc etc
    Has anyone out there tried this? It looks like Jajah (which Ive just registered for and looks great) but seems that it can be used also from mobiles (which you currently cant use on Jajah in UK or Europe) at great rates!!

Ill be checking it out but wondered if anyone else has any experience of it. I cant find mention of it anywhere on the MSE site.

Thanks!!
    • jhp
    • By jhp 10th Apr 08, 1:59 AM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    jhp
    Has anyone out there tried this? It looks like Jajah (which Ive just registered for and looks great) but seems that it can be used also from mobiles (which you currently cant use on Jajah in UK or Europe) at great rates!!

Ill be checking it out but wondered if anyone else has any experience of it. I cant find mention of it anywhere on the MSE site.

Thanks!!
    Originally posted by mousehole1
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=449975&highlight=mobivox
  • scotleag
    Skype Pro - the 'hidden' charges
    Some time ago I took out a Skype Pro subscription which promised 'free' calls to landlines (except for a 3p connection charge). I thought this looked like a bargain. However I soon found that my calls were still being charged by the minute so all calls were in effect 3p + x per min.

When I challenged Skype over this their explanation was that I wasn't using a static IP address and in such instances their normal rates applied. Since virtually no individual has a fixed IP address this means the vast majority of non-corporate Skype users will be affected by this.

Skype refunded three months Skype Pro subscription but refused to backdate the refunds to when I signed up. I pointed out to them that it's next to impossible for individuals to have static IP addresses and that surely they should be aware of this. I also pointed out that there is no mention anywhere in their t&c of this extra charge on usage.

I thought it might be useful to post on this site to let people know about these charges if considering subscribing to Skype Pro.
    Last edited by scotleag; 10-04-2008 at 11:52 AM.
    • XXXX
    • By XXXX 14th Apr 08, 5:01 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    XXXX

Thanks!!
    Originally posted by mousehole1
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=224679&highlight=jajah
    • robot1000
    • By robot1000 30th Apr 08, 2:26 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    robot1000
    Nonoh.net
    www.nonoh.net

Is cheaper then Jajah
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

204Posts Today

2,438Users online

Martin's Twitter