Bankruptcy Newbie

2»

Comments

• wandablake
    wandablake Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2019 at 12:13PM
    I suggest you cut your hours before your bankruptcy and reflect the reduction in income on your bankruptcy form. It sounds like you cannot continue with the long hours for the sake of your well being. Cutting your hours may mean that you fall behind on debt repayments leading up to bankruptcy approval, but if you go bankrupt shortly after reducing your hours, and put the debts on your form, your creditors cannot chase you once your bankruptcy has been approved. (Caveat -some debts e.g. student loans and fines are debts that cannot be written off by bankruptcy). Bankruptcy is usually approved 48 hours after submitting the form, excluding weekends.
  • mitchen83 wrote: »
    Great thanks so much for that. Do you think I should maybe sell the car before I declare?. Rather than them just taking it away.

If you did this the car would have to be sold as its current market value and you'd have to keep all receipts etc...if you sold the car for way under its value the OR can and will pursue for any monies they see fit
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • While the car, and money invested in it, is completely at your disposal, I'd sell it and live on the money for a while before going bankrupt when it runs out. That way, you could reduce your hours and see how things look in a few months' time.
  • Will they be more harsh on me, because they'll see if purposively sold my assets and used them before going bankrupt?
  • Currently your money/assets are yours to do whatever you like with! However, if you were to sell the car at less than market value, the OR would be suspicious you were giving it to a mate and could legally repossess it from the new owner. If you sell the car at a fair rate and use it for genuine living costs, no problem. People in debt will often sell assets to try and stave off the inevitable, so don't worry!

If the car is hire/on credit in anyway, you'd be in trouble for selling it without paying it off, of course.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure