Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 36
    • steven07968
    • By steven07968 18th Sep 17, 7:11 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    steven07968
    Mine now leaks after using the chilled water facility, with the water taking some time to chill afterwards. Is this also a known issue, and easy fix?
    • arthur fowler
    • By arthur fowler 24th Feb 19, 6:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    arthur fowler
    Newcomer to the thread. Had the FF from new. Had problems with it 8 years ago with it frosting up. Got the repair kit from appliancediyrepairs. Instructions were excellent and it has been running fine since. Until last month when it started frosting up again.
    Defrosted it, but it only lasted a few weeks before ice on the inside of the fridge. Appliancediyrepairs seem to have gone, so got a new kit on ebay. Instructions were not great but thankfully still had the old ones!

Fitted the kit yesterday, now have my fingers crossed that 100GBP will save having to spend nearly a grand on a replacement for a few more years.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 15th Mar 19, 11:21 AM
    • 39,563 Posts
    • 163,709 Thanks
    silvercar
    My F/F has frozen up (again). There was a noise when the fan was going but its now silent and the fridge is warm. I tried to take the cover off the fan, managed to unscrew it but the cover won't budge. Phoned an engineer who said I should leave it switched off for 24 hours. This is a pain as the freezer will need to be emptied. Anyone know (a) if this will work (b) a quicker way.

Complicated by the plug being behind the appliance so will need to wait until OH comes home.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 15th Mar 19, 2:05 PM
    • 4,005 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    EssexExile
    My F/F has frozen up (again). There was a noise when the fan was going but its now silent and the fridge is warm. I tried to take the cover off the fan, managed to unscrew it but the cover won't budge. Phoned an engineer who said I should leave it switched off for 24 hours. This is a pain as the freezer will need to be emptied. Anyone know (a) if this will work (b) a quicker way.

Complicated by the plug being behind the appliance so will need to wait until OH comes home.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    The problem is often a build up of ice in the workings. Switching it off for a day lets the ice melt & everything will be hunkydory until next time.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 15th Mar 19, 2:45 PM
    • 39,563 Posts
    • 163,709 Thanks
    silvercar
    The problem is often a build up of ice in the workings. Switching it off for a day lets the ice melt & everything will be hunkydory until next time.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Makes sense. Where does the ice go?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 15th Mar 19, 4:55 PM
    • 4,005 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Makes sense. Where does the ice go?
    It melts, runs down into the receptacle on top of the compressor then overflows onto the floor. Put towels down!
    • arthur fowler
    • By arthur fowler 15th Mar 19, 9:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    arthur fowler

If you havent got the cover off yet, you can defrost it with a hairdryer.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Mar 19, 10:47 AM
    • 39,563 Posts
    • 163,709 Thanks
    silvercar
    It melts, runs down into the receptacle on top of the compressor then overflows onto the floor. Put towels down!
    If you havent got the cover off yet, you can defrost it with a hairdryer.
    Originally posted by arthur fowler
    Thanks all.

Itís switched off now and will leave it off for 48 hours.

Hopefully that will be long enough for everything to defrost.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 7th Jun 19, 4:02 PM
    • 39,563 Posts
    • 163,709 Thanks
    silvercar
    Just reporting back.

Managed to defrost it for 48 hours. At which point everything seemed ok.

Switched back on and everything ok, reflled fridge and freezer. Within a couple of days the wiirrring sound came back. Called a repair man out. With the freezer still full and closed, he took the back off the fridge and found a whole panel totally iced up. He took it apart and defrosted it completely (lots of hot water etc) put it all back together and everything was fine.

Wind forward 6 weeks to today and the fan is making a noise again, pull out the bottom two fridge draws and its covered in ice. My engineer said its really strange for it to happen again after 6 weeks, but the answer is to defrost everything!

Now it is unplugged and ice melting. Interestingly I can see ice through the holes at the back of the freezer. I'm wondering if the freezer side (behind the panel) has gradually frozen up again?

Any ideas?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 7th Jun 19, 6:30 PM
    • 4,005 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    EssexExile

Any ideas?

Time for a new one?
    • returnofghandi
    • By returnofghandi 7th Jun 19, 8:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    returnofghandi
    /gds/samsung-rs21-fridge-defrost-repair-problems/10000000005678075/g.html

Try this. Put ebay's website in place of *.
    Sorry! Did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours!
    • arthur fowler
    • By arthur fowler 7th Jun 19, 10:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    arthur fowler
    Yes, get a repair kit from ebay <£100 and fix it. I've done ours twice about 6 years apart. Let me know if you want me to dig out the one we bought.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,909Posts Today

7,852Users online

Martin's Twitter