Pension rules back in 1992?

Options
What would the pensiom rules regarding taking cash back in 1992 have been, same as today 25%
My pension would be due to repay a £50k mortgage but I'm wondering if it ever could have?

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes it was. Trouble is future investment performance is unknown at the point of inception of the plan.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What would the pensiom rules regarding taking cash back in 1992 have been, same as today 25%

No. Back then you had plans that could pay different amounts to 25%. Such as no tax free cash at all, or 3 times the annual annuity. Or hybrid plans that could be as high as 100% tax free lump sum.

2006 saw a lot of standardisation but plans from before then could get transitional relief that allowed them to keep any amount more than 25%. Whilst plans with less or no tax free cash got uprated to 25%.
    My pension would be due to repay a £50k mortgage but I'm wondering if it ever could have?

If a personal pension was used, then it would have been 25%. If an EPP was used, it could have been different.

Pension mortgages did need the premiums to continue and be increased over the years to keep on track. A lot of them failed to see the people increase the premiums in later years.
  • Tight_Fart
    Options
    Thanks, I’ve never seen the policy document as it went direct to Barclays as security.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    Tight_Fart wrote: »
    Thanks, I’ve never seen the policy document as it went direct to Barclays as security.

Who was the provider? Different fee charging structure back then.
  • Tight_Fart
    Options
    No idea, I think it would have been before the days that that was even spoken about.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    Tight_Fart wrote: »
    No idea, I think it would have been before the days that that was even spoken about.

Aliied Dunbar (aka Crowbar) were notorious even back then. Though one had to financially literate to be in the know so to speak. Many people were ill informed and therefore gullible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure