Asian/Indian Supermarkets in Edinburgh/Lothian/Borders (lol)

As a recent blow-in to southern Scotland (I previously lived in Northumberland) I'm looking for an Asian supermarket in Edinburgh or the Lothians (ideally in the Borders - but I'm a realist).... I'm familiar with the best of them around Newcastle, but not Edinburgh....

Anyone got any they'd like to share ? (They're next to impossible to spot in the yellow pages etc).
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice

Comments

• damo101
    damo101 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There's 2 on leith walk in edinburgh - 1 is about half down on the left hand (if you're heading away from town) adn the second is 3/4 way down on the right. They#re good but the futher down one is the best - bigger and more stuff, no idea what half of it is tho!!!
    03022242 Posts: 350 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    maybe you should take a flight down to soho road or wilmslow road once a month...
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • Having lived in Fallowfield before, and been back a few times and having been the victim of attempted muggings there 3 times over the years (I'm 6'5" and built like a second row forward - why do radgie little mancs think they have a chance ? :confused:) - no thanks.

Anyway - I know I can get what I want in Newcastle, just hoping to be able to get it in Edinburgh too - but not knowing where to go - until now of course :D

Damo - ever looked along Albert Street at Raja Supermarket ? That was one of the few I turned up by surfing.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • damo101
    never even knew it existed - probably be over that part of town at the weekend so i'll have a look tho (having only eaten my first Indian meal approx 6 month ago, i wouldn't be able to tell if its good or not!!!). Albert street tho is just off leith walk so if you did make a trip up you'd be able visit them all fairly easily.

Damo
  • Thanks - it's not like I'm never in the area (usually in or near Edinburgh at least once a month, same for Newcastle), just rarely in central Edinburgh to have a nose around - always there with a purpose :D

• damo101
    leith walk and albert st are a 15min walk from princes st and loads of buses go down there so it's fairly easy to get to. Leith walk is definitely worth a trip - a bit odd but very interesting people!!!
  • AIHUA CHINESE SUPERMARKET
    36 West Crosscauseway, Edinburgh EH8 9JP
    Tel : 0131 662 8888

HING SING CHINESE SUPERMARKET LTD
    310 Leith Walk, Edinburgh EH6 5BU
    Tel : 0131 554 4333

PAT’S CHUNG YING CHINESE SUPERMARKET
    199 Leith Walk, Edinburgh EH6 8NX

Nittiya Thai Market. (near Haymarket station)
    39 Dalry Road, Edinburgh, EH11 2BU.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • The cheapest place I have found for Indian spices is

Polypack (Edinburgh) Ltd
    1a, Norton Park, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH7 5RS
    Tel: 0131 661 4966

They are a cash and carry but they do have a small shop inside for selling small amounts of things
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • damo101 wrote:
    leith walk and albert st are a 15min walk from princes st and loads of buses go down there so it's fairly easy to get to. Leith walk is definitely worth a trip - a bit odd but very interesting people!!!

I know where it is - it's just never registered that there were any Chinese/Indian supermarkets there - but I suppose it's one of those things that you don't "see" unless you're looking :confused:

• Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    damo101 wrote:
    There's 2 on leith walk in edinburgh - 1 is about half down on the left hand (if you're heading away from town) adn the second is 3/4 way down on the right. They#re good but the futher down one is the best - bigger and more stuff, no idea what half of it is tho!!!

One is called Hing Sing and the other is Pat Chung. Pat Chung's is the one on the right - I find this one has a much wider range of stock but is slightly more expensive than Hing Sing.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure