Pension query, please!

Options

Comments

• DAKOTA45
    DAKOTA45 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    DairyQueen wrote: »
    Good advice.

This forum is great at providing sign-posts and detailed information on specific retirement/investments issues but, from the info. provided, the scope of your problem appears too wide for us to suggest anything specific that could substantially help you. You require a detailed financial review and support from a personal advisor, and the best source of free advice is CAB.

You indicate that things were OK until OH retired and that he only retired two years ago. You have since sold a nice home in which is invested (for most in their 60s, and even if mortgaged) a sizeable chunk of equity. Yet, within this two-year period you have used-up all of your savings. Presumably this includes all of the house equity. In such a short period that would require a lot of spending.

It suggests there were sizeable debts that were settled from the house proceedings and/or you were living substantially above your means for a long period prior to OH's retirement. The former could be the result of the latter.

The situation you describe couldn't happen so quickly unless the financial foundations were already rocky. OH may have been in denial for some time prior to retirement and, after a lifetime of financial dependence, you may have been too detached from financial issues to realise what was happening.

Until your husband accepts reality you will be hard-pressed to begin solving the consequences of the lack of planning but at some point he will have to face the facts and address them. Seeking information independently in the meantime will ensure that you are prepared for his reality check.

If the over-spending has been going on for years then there may be unsecured debts - credit cards/personal loans/overdraft. You may not be aware of these. If there are (and you are) then head over to the debt forum. The people there will be able to point you in the right direction. This site is anonymous so don't be afraid to reveal all of the painful stuff. Yes, you may be judged negatively from some members but many more will be helpful.

If you can find a job it will be as beneficial mentally as financially. Even a low-paying, part-time position will make a big difference to your finances and confidence. Are there any small stores near you? Places like the Co-op are enthusiastic employers of retirees. OH has financially supported your household for decades and now you have an opportunity to help return the favour. You are only 67. That's no age.

Malthusian is correct that the Pension Reforms would not have been the solution for your situation, although they may have provided more flexibility in resolving specific issues. The reforms would not have increased your pension pot and it's the size of that relative to OH's former earnings that has triggered the extreme drop in lifestyle.

The bottom line is that you both failed to plan and save for retirement. You have both overspent/undersaved during most of your productive lives. I am not lambasting you but It may help you engage with OH if you accept that you are also responsible for this situation and that you want to be part of the solution.

Also, thank you for sharing your story. It will be helpful to younger readers to understand why retirement saving throughout life isn't a discretionary expense. I am just sorry that others may learn at the expense of those who, like you, suffer real hardship.

Spookily accurate... there was all sorts going on... especially when he was with the other woman... he was applying for massive loans & forging my signature...( I found out when one agreement turned up at our address... he was using his company address for some stuff)... I'll never know the extent of it all, but this woman took him for thousands, then scarpered when he was made redundant... He had an incredibly expensive hobby involving fast cars... Yes, I shoud have done more... but we stupidly lived for the day... there wasn't an awful lot of equity left-we settled our debts... there was not enough left to buy a house... then our rent was £1,300 a month... what with council tax, etc... Easy to look back and see where we went wrong... we thought he had a well paid job for life..then the financial crash came along, & it all went downhill very fast... if I could get back the last 30 years, I'd know what to do... I hope someone will see this and be in a position to turn things around before it's too late.
  • capital0ne
    Options
    DAKOTA45 wrote: »
    I just assumed my husband's pension would be shared once we retired!
    Joint bank account needed!
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hope someone will see this and be in a position to turn things around before it's too late.

https://filmtvcharity.org.uk/your-situation/debt-issues/ Might be of interest.

Do investigate whether there is any LA /HA/Almshouse accommodation available.

https://www.almshouses.org/resident-vacancies/

Investigate job prospects.

Good Luck.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DAKOTA45 wrote: »
    I hope someone will see this and be in a position to turn things around before it's too late.
    Your circumstances require both you and OH to be very proactive. Nobody can wave a magic wand but there are agencies that can help you to help yourselves.

I also wish you well.
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    Thank you all once again... feeling more optimistic now... lots to think about...
    Will try & report back here in a while... x
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    ...Oh... just one more thing that somebody mentioned- and they may have a point;
    What is the definition of living as part of a couple who are in a relationship, whether married or not...
    Married in name only, and in a platonic relationship, (many older married couples have this kind of relationship, where they live as siblings might - not sharing a bedroom, let alone a bed, for many years. Some are estranged but share a property because they can't afford to separate, etc... it's a bit of a grey area).
    So, given the scenario that we are staying with our respective relatives in separate houses, for the time being at least, and given that the afore-mentioned applies as well....well, might I possibly be eligible for pension credit... ?
    Not everything is black and white where 'couples' are concerned... which complicates matters when you are filling in forms, because there are just 2 options... are you in a relationship or single?... Would one need to reveal personal details... many are too embarrassed, I think... but I'll have a read through the notes here...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/773712/pc10s-a-detailed-guide-to-pension-credit-for-advisers.pdf
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The above does seem to be something where an in-confidence chat with Citizen's Advice could help - they have plenty of experience with benefits.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/
    Or try contacting the gov.uk pension centre for your area
    https://www.gov.uk/find-pension-centre
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    LHW99 wrote: »
    The above does seem to be something where an in-confidence chat with Citizen's Advice could help - they have plenty of experience with benefits.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/
    Or try contacting the gov.uk pension centre for your area
    https://www.gov.uk/find-pension-centre

Thank you... have been in touch with age concern... they seem very friendly. Will post later...:)
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    Ahhh... this is what she wrote back... I'm not sure if that is correct though... I think I saw something about pension credits being allowed as long as you have an address for correspondence... certainly the DWP has no problem using my sister's address when they write to me about my state pension... I will try and find out more...

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately you cannot apply for any benefits unless you have a permanent address so staying at your sisters would not be classed as your address and until you have a fixed abode you will not be able to apply for pension credit. I hope someone is helping with your housing issue. Once you have a permanent address you can email me back and i can then arrange for the pension service to visit or one of the volunteers to help you with the application.
  • DAKOTA45
    edited 23 October 2019 at 6:42PM
    Options
    I found this re: couples who are together but are no longer considered to be in a relationship...... very interesting as most of this applies in my case...

Claiming (benefits) separately even if still living under the same roof:

In addition, there are rules (albeit rarely used) for dividing claims should the couple have split up but continue to reside under the same roof. In this situation one or both of the former couple should make a new claim in their name only. They will need to prove that they are no longer living as a couple. This means that, although they are both still living in the same property, they:

no longer sleep in the same room,

no longer have meals together and/or buy food together,

no longer do each other’s washing or ironing,

no longer pay for things as a couple (including the whole rent – even if one pays their share to the other),

should close joint accounts, and

family and friends should be told that they are no longer a couple.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure