Leaving VM and email

As I will shortly be moving house, I do not want to use VM at my new address, even though its available there. (become too expensive for my needs) .
I realise this means I have the annoyance of losing my VM email accounts after 90 days. I wondered if I could buy a Virgin mobile SIM for a 4G hub, and , as virgin mobile customer, keep my email account ? anybody tried this with a virgin mobile ?
can you get a virgin email account with just a mobile ?

thanks for any thoughts on this.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Similar thoughts - I'm with AOL/TalkTalk - and have fixed line and a separate mobile SIM. I don't want to lose my email as I have a good many contacts.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Doug_J wrote: »
    As I will shortly be moving house, I do not want to use VM at my new address, even though its available there. (become too expensive for my needs) .
    I realise this means I have the annoyance of losing my VM email accounts after 90 days. I wondered if I could buy a Virgin mobile SIM for a 4G hub, and , as virgin mobile customer, keep my email account ? anybody tried this with a virgin mobile ?
    can you get a virgin email account with just a mobile ?

thanks for any thoughts on this.
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Similar thoughts - I'm with AOL/TalkTalk - and have fixed line and a separate mobile SIM. I don't want to lose my email as I have a good many contacts.

Bite the bullet and just move everything to a Gmail,Yahoo or Hotmail account and never have to ask this question again.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Group cc email to your entire address book takes maybe 5 minutes to send?
    Then 30 mins to change the email address on your online accounts?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have also been with Virgin for a number of years and have a virginmedia.com account. I cut the tv package out a few years ago when I retired but the b/band and phone package has continued, mainly because I never had the landline connected here when I moved in, and I thought it would be too expensive in both time and money to change providers. However, the other week one of my daughters moved house and was shopping around for b/band deals. When I saw how much (or how little) she was paying I realised that even with paying to get the landline sorted I could recoup that in a few months with the savings I could make. So to that end I have just set up a new Gmail account and will start to use that. It does say you can import contacts from another account so will work out how to do that (where's a handy 7year old when you need them?). I just need to see when I can get out of the Virgin contract and start checking those deals. I can't believe I haven't sorted this out before as I am usually pretty quick to change other utilities.
  • Never use ISP provided email addresses.

Not only for the reasons you list, but also because they tend to be on antiquated platforms or they use Gmail/Yahoo/Outlook platforms anyway.
  • japitts
    japitts Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    macman wrote: »
    Group cc email to your entire address book takes maybe 5 minutes to send?
    Then 30 mins to change the email address on your online accounts?

An open-CC to multiple people like that, isn't great netiqutte, a BCC much better practice.

But I'd agree with other posters - at the very least use a throwaway freebie account like hotmail/outlook/gmail etc, or for the sake of £15 or so a year and maybe 30minutes setting it up... buying a domain is a much better solution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure