Let through automated ticket barriers with expired tickets then charged for new tickets on train?!

Options
Bucko
Bucko Posts: 10 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 13 May 2019 at 12:16PM in Public transport & cycling
Morning all,

As the title suggests, I was recently able to pass through an automated ticket barrier to board an intercity train with a ticket which had expired 24 hours previously. I did not realise my mistake until my ticket was checked midway through the journey, and I was subsquently required to purchase an additional ticket (to the tune of £100).

I am considering contesting this on the basis that I would not have boarded the train had I been made aware that the ticket had already expired at the automated ticket barrier. Do you think I have a case?

Thanks folks!

Contest? 39 votes

Yes
7% 3 votes
No
92% 36 votes

Comments

• Spelunthus
    Spelunthus Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Can't believe you have a case. There are many ways, at every station, to bypass an automated barrier - e.g., side gate, guy at barrier badges you in, gate jammed open.... How coud you prove you even put the expired ticket in the gate? I think the "offense" was getting on the train with a duff ticket, not going througgh the barrier.
  • marmite1979
    marmite1979 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's your responsibility to check, the barriers do not know which train you're catching so can let you through.
    I could buy a £1 ticket to let me through and then board a train it's then pot luck if I'm checked.
    I've had the opposite I unknowingly bought a return ticket online that preceded the date I travelled it was the barrier that realised It was wrong, two guards didn't clock the date. Luckily the Gate Line staff let me off by paying only for the remainder of my journey.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It is your job to check your tickets are valid, not an automated barrier
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Bucko
    Options
    Not disputing the fact that I made a mistake by any means...but what is the point of the automated barriers being there in the first place if they can't tell the difference between expired and in-date tickets?!
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    So because a barrier never told you you weren't entitled to a free rail journey, you think you should be entitled to a free rail journey?

Nobody's told me that I can't have a free Macbook, if I PM you my details will you send me one?
  • Bucko
    edited 13 May 2019 at 1:15PM
    Options
    To be clear, I had purchased an advance ticket for the same price on the service exactly 24 hours beforehand and I did not use or attempt to use the ticket in question on the date for which it was valid.
  • charlotte1994
    charlotte1994 Posts: 854 Forumite
    Options
    The barriers are usually pretty good, though not perfect. I don't think you have a case as they will throw it back to you about how it's your responsibility to check you have the right ticket. £100 is steep though, but you would have paid a similar amount in the station as it was same day travel.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bucko wrote: »
    To be clear, I had purchased an advance ticket for the same price on the service exactly 24 hours beforehand and I did not use or attempt to use the ticket in question on the date for which it was valid.

If you didn't have a valid ticket for your journey then you'll end up paying a penalty fare or even getting prosecuted. It's a strict liability offence so you basically have no way of getting out of it. Whether the barrier let you through or not is irrelevant.

I'm confused anyway. If you inadvertently presented the wrong ticket at the barrier, why didn't you present the correct ticket on the train? If you ended up having to buy another ticket on the train that must mean that you didn't have a valid ticket when boarding the train - offence proven. Or are you saying you bought an advance ticket for the wrong day?
  • Bucko
    Options
    Or are you saying you bought an advance ticket for the wrong day?

Correct, advance ticket erroneously purchased for the day before I actually travelled. Got through the barrier with it and only realised my mistake when my ticket was checked on the train.

Oh well, won't make that mistake again!
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bucko wrote: »
    Correct, advance ticket erroneously purchased for the day before I actually travelled. Got through the barrier with it and only realised my mistake when my ticket was checked on the train.

Oh well, won't make that mistake again!

OK. When travelling by train I always check, double-check and triple-check I've got the right tickets.

Most people don't appreciate how costly (and serious) not having a valid ticket for their journey is. It's not even enough to have bought (and have proof of purchase) a valid ticket - you have to be able to produce it on demand too. A £50 train ticket is the same as a £50 note - if you lose it, it's gone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure