Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means

Options

Comments

• Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Sorry to hear about DH's work issues Purp. I hope he finds a new job soon.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Sorry to hear about dh work stuff. Hope it all sorts itself out...
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the kind wishes folks and for popping by :hello: time will tell what happens but I have been browsing the job boards, nothing yet but there's time. He has been down this week and I can tell it's playing on his mind. Must keep moving forward.

In other news, it was payday :T moved all the money round and updated my sheets. Savings target hit as had some spare cash from one of my pots :T

Have also started another pot where I started on 1st Jan with £3.65, reducing this by 1p a day to see how far through the year I get. If I get to the end I'll have about £665. So far so good and about £20 in a separate account.

I used a gift card my DD had for Christmas for some massively reduced stationary. One will be my shiny new book (£1,49 instead of £6.99) and the rest will be gifts :T I'll buy DD some felts tips in lieu of card soon.

I've started my new book and straight away feel more organised :T need to think how I'm going to journal in it, but as a dump of to do items over the next few months it's a great start. Lots of food in so little spend required there other than fresh items.

Have only managed 1 lot of exercise so far this week. Must do better but work has been torrid. Will do some tomorrow. Food intake has been good so at least that is something.

Washing up to date and DH seems to have fixed annoying heating issue for no spend :T

Returned a load of sale items that I didn't like/fit/need which was good news. Some have already been credited :)

Will do some more knitting, need to press on with that.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Pf, started reading your diary due to your extension plans. We are mid extension but unfortunately had additional borrowing. Scarily we borrowed more than we paid for our first house! Hope your building plans are progressing well.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    CathT wrote: »
    Hi Pf, started reading your diary due to your extension plans. We are mid extension but unfortunately had additional borrowing. Scarily we borrowed more than we paid for our first house! Hope your building plans are progressing well.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope it's not too stressful. We're just about to kick things off and have been doing lots of background stuff. Have you a diary? If so I'll swing by.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The actual build has been mostly stress free. I found the prep work most time consuming, mortgage application (those phonecalls were mammoth!), Collecting builders quotes and the planning side. Once you start building it's actually ok! Our builder is managing the project for us.

I do have a diary over on the mortgage free board :)
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    WFH today so was productive. Hoped to get to gym in my imaginary lunch hour but no chance. Did have leftovers for lunch and used last of some Christmas Brie for tea in a gratin. Liberated 6 boxes with various little bits in from fridge. :D also used some wonky veg to cut up ready for sc tomorrow. Also 3 tomatoes on the turn can go on the sc. fridge looking better. Definitely inspired by bob and luckylady on their (supreme lack of) good wastage. Was going to pop to sm tonight for a few bits but a) cba b) don't want to spend anything and c) surprising what you can stretch when you can

Picked my mint sprig and froze leaves and did the same with coriander including stalks.

Savings less a penny fund up at £25 all ready. Surveys lights at the moment, got all excited when I went on one site and had been given 825 points as part of their loyalty programme. Was surprised as I didn't think I was due any but wasn't complaining. Only 50 points from payout. Next day they had been reduced off. Boo!

DH sanded and stained the door in lounge today and first run or skirting :T looks fab. Hopefully rest will be done by the weekend and we can spend the weekend painting girls room.

Have booked DD party at local cinema (very reasonable as price war on with new build down the road ;)) followed by a surprisingly good value make your own pizza party. Also only a handful going. Must do invites tonight. Need to try and find container about the size of a large soft drink paper cup that I can decant the popcorn in when I buy a big one. Any ideas anyone? Might look in £ shop

Some knitting tonight. Just downloading new episode of Endeavour on the tv so will watch that. Added bonus knitting now so long as it's all in one piece it keeps my legs warm at the same time :A
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I love these boards because we are all getting inspiration along the way PF :)
    Re Cups for popcorn, if not £shops then maybe b&m or Homebargains?
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks PF lovely compliment :)
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • PurpleFairy26
    edited 10 January 2017 at 10:45PM
    Options
    Frugal food use up continues. Did need to shop this evening as fridge was bare and I don't want to buy lunch at work (a pastime I stopped just over a year ago - think only bought one lunch last year :A and I have no intention of restarting) I have use the rind off a Gorgonzola chopped up on top of my salad as mr PF seems to have finished the roulade cheese on some crackers for snack today :eek: I was going to crack open my new block of cheddar or take one for the team and have the Wensleydale with cranberries that no one really seemed to like from Christmas (will look for recipe for this to use up instead) but decided to refrain.

Got some part baked rolls ys that have gone in freezer, as have the 24p mini cooked sausages that were ys tonight. Chopped an apple that came back (uneaten) several times in lunch box and froze. Was a little bruised and worse for wear but wasn't going to waste it.

Having a bad mummy week... yesterday got odd boots out for DD and didn't notice (in my defence nor did she or DH at home) DH noticed when outside nursery. Too late, spent day in odd boot. Not even same colour :eek:

Then tooth fairy failed to turn up. In TF defence, tooth feel out months ago and DD only put it out last night in her special cushion, which had fallen off the bed. Luckily was other DD or they both may have thought someone had it in for them yesterday. Tonight TF did turn up but purse was empty so had to raid DD piggy bank for shiny coin to swap for tooth. Oops :rotfl: hope DD doesn't want to count her money box when coin gets reinstated tomorrow am :o

Managed to submit my tax return last night (won't pay until 26th though) :o) and put all the figures in DH. Will check cold and then submit. No money to pay for him :T

I bought 10 invites for £1 for DD party. 11 invited, but 2 sisters so only 10 invites required. Wrote them last night when I realised I was writing the wrong phone number. I don't even know whose it was :rotfl: cue me having to open all the others to see if the phone number was correct. Another one was wrong. 4 were right but the envelopes were ruined. Cue having to buy some more today :o will concentrate shortly when I finish writing them.

Another £3 something to 1p saving pot. Over £30 already. As I'm a spreadsheet lover (or sad ;)) I'm tracking the % to target and the % of the year gone to keep me motivated at being ahead whilst it stays at over £3 a day.

90p TT. Last of the big spenders. Window fund at 1.17% :rotfl:

Considering starting to overpay mortgage even by a small amount to start with. We're now saving a decent amount (which I hope can continue) each month but could divert some to mortgage, maybe when EF reaches 4 figures. Something to ponder.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback