This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Childcare Vouchers: cut childcare costs by £1,000/year Article

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

For the old thread click here

Comments

• mike3000
    mike3000 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Both myself and my wife are self employed and are thinking about childcare for or 18 month old daughter. Only a couple mornings a week to give the wife a break.

My question is, can we claim the vouchers as neither of us have an employer as such?
  • djheath
    djheath Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There is also Sodexho Pass who offer childcare vouchers.

http://www.sodexhopass.co.uk/Childcare/Childcare.asp

http://www.childcarechoice.co.uk
  • We have a toddler and we want to send him to the nursery in about 6 months. Is it possible to start collecting the vouchers now and then use the lot to pay for full time care? I suppose that the electronic vouchrers would not work this way. Do any of them have an expiration date? Also, as far as I understand, you have to stay with the scheme to the end of tax year, but is it possible to join in the middle of the tax year?
    Thanks a lot for your comments,
    Daddy2005
  • Daddy

Our company uses busybees, and found there electronic system good. From memory i think the vouchers had a 6 month 'shelf life' - so guess you would be ok to start saving now (you would probably have to book and pay a month in advance in the nursery anyway)

Just ensure your intended nursery is happy to accept vouchers/e vouchers. My nursery didnt know about the scheme - but were happy to set it up for me

Cheers

LA
  • Daddy2005 wrote:
    We have a toddler and we want to send him to the nursery in about 6 months. Is it possible to start collecting the vouchers now and then use the lot to pay for full time care? I suppose that the electronic vouchrers would not work this way. Do any of them have an expiration date? Also, as far as I understand, you have to stay with the scheme to the end of tax year, but is it possible to join in the middle of the tax year?
    Thanks a lot for your comments,
    Daddy2005

It is possible to join in the middle of the tax year.

My employers deal with Accor, and I just joined up this month.
    Wha's like us - damn few, an' they're a' deid
    :footie:

Competition wins:-
    July - Magic mince cookbook (first win)
  • You can join mid-year but you usually have to supply the nursery info on the application form for the voucher provider so you'd have to be certain of the nursery you were going to stockpile credit/vouchers.

I use Accor online and there is no expiry date on the amounts, it just looks like a bank account with deposits and withdrawls.

I send my little one to an independent school which starts from age 3 and I am able to use the vouchers against fees for the pre-nursery, nursery and reception years there. The school counts it as childcare until they reach year1 (age 6).

You can also leave the scheme mid-year as a result of a lifestyle event - child stopping nursery to start school would count here.
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does anybody have a draft template I could use to put the case to my employers in writing.

Thanks
  • I work for an NHS Trust which has an on-site nursery. They provide childcare vouchers only to those whose child goes to this nursery. My daughter used to attend but I wasn't happy with the service they provided and she now goes to a different one. As a result, I no longer get the vouchers and I am told that they won't be considering providing them for anyone whose child goes to another nursery. This doesn't seem right. Surely we should be able to choose where our child goes to nursery and not miss out on this Government scheme. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience/information on this?
  • I have been looking in to this but am wondering if it is the best thing to do. You can claim back child care costs anyway and get back up to 80% in tax credits. This would make the voucher scheme a bit poor as if yolu spent £1000 in theory you can claim back £800. Can anyone confirm my theory?
  • I was so pleased when my employers took up the Salary Sacrifice Scheme in August.

I spend between £200 & £300 a month on childcare, depending if school hols or not, and was looking forward to making some well needed savings.

However, I gave my Registered Childminder the info to read and she says she can't accept vouchers as she isn't Approved. She didn't sound very keen at all - even though it would mean she would get paid quicker as I was going to do the e-voucher option. I currently pay her cash as I haven't got a cheque account due to being on a Debt Management Plan with the CCCS.

I'm gutted- £70 a month saving is not to be sniffed at.

Does anyone have any advice? Is she right - do Childminders need to be Approved-and what does this involve?

My girls have been going to her for nearly three years, but I must admit I'm tempted to try and find another carer who will accept the vouchers.

Any thoughts/advice would be welcome.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure