Brexit discussions

Comments

• ben501
    ben501 Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hence why just insulting someone on its own often doesn't strengthen your case.

I hope that's just poorly phrased, otherwise you're suggesting that insults on their own sometimes do strengthen your case. :eek:
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    ben501 wrote: »
    I hope that's just poorly phrased, otherwise you're suggesting that insults on their own sometimes do strengthen your case. :eek:

They sometimes do in politics. And this is not a flippant comment about one or more current politicians, but a long-standing feature of politics in many countries, political leanings and forms of government.

They certainly shouldn't, but sometimes do.
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi folks

We're considering placing a ban on all discussion about Brexit.

Did you come to a final decision on this? :whistle:

It would be a shame to do this. We feel many of you are able to discuss the topic in a friendly manner.

However, my team is receiving too many reports about posts that are

a) rude about another forum member
    b) argumentative
    c) disagreement
    d) opinionated
    e) don't break our rules.

Please help my team out by being considerate of other forum members and not reporting posts simply because you disagree with what's being said.

Thank you

Presumably this is exactly what continued to happen?

Unfortunately, we have reached a point now at which it seems impossible to discuss anything of any importance here, not just Brexit, without it being shut down. Can somebody who helps run the site please give us an update on what is happening and at what point (if at all) the reins will be loosened again. As it stands you are likely to lose people as it hardly seems worth coming on here at present, to be frank.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • Spidernick wrote: »
    Did you come to a final decision on this? :whistle:

Presumably this is exactly what continued to happen?

Unfortunately, we have reached a point now at which it seems impossible to discuss anything of any importance here, not just Brexit, without it being shut down. Can somebody who helps run the site please give us an update on what is happening and at what point (if at all) the reins will be loosened again. As it stands you are likely to lose people as it hardly seems worth coming on here at present, to be frank.

Apart from anything else, the post you quoted was grammatically incoherent....

e.g.

"However, my team is receiving too many reports about posts that are

a) ........
    b) ........
    c) disagreement
    d)
    e) don't break our rules."

Point c) is hilarious... "discussion" WITHOUT "disagreement"? :rotfl:

Point e) says in so many words that they are receiving reports about too many posts that DON'T break their rules. :rotfl:

However as the folk at MSE Towers are beyond question or criticism, no clarification or apology for inaccuracies is ever forthcoming.

As an example, I posted a perfectly reasonable question on "The Forum Policy & Rules Discussion Board" on the 8th of July and have not even has the courtesy of a response from MSE Admin.

Post a factual comment in response to an idea and they'll come down in you like a ton of bricks; ask a fair question and you get ignored.

Maybe MSE Towers could do a survey of all forum members to see what members think of the rules and see if there is some wriggle room before even more folk leave or just end up posting the sort of drivel that permeates the place at rhe moment?

I suspect that :money: woukd take a pretty grim view of an organisation that routinely ignored questions or criticism.

What do other members think? :)

WR
  • walesrob
    walesrob Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    I'm a forum admin myself, and we've also had many problems with politics being discussed. In the end, we decided to move any discussions about politics into a hidden part of the forum, and members would request access. It's worked well, a private area where bickering old ladies can have it out with each other, without spilling over on to the main forum, and potentially putting off new members.

Maybe MSE should consider the same.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    walesrob wrote: »
    I'm a forum admin myself, and we've also had many problems with politics being discussed. In the end, we decided to move any discussions about politics into a hidden part of the forum, and members would request access. It's worked well, a private area where bickering old ladies can have it out with each other, without spilling over on to the main forum, and potentially putting off new members.

Perhaps MSE doesn't want to encourage ageist and sexist ideas?
  • ben501
    ben501 Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Spidernick wrote: »
    Unfortunately, we have reached a point now at which it seems impossible to discuss anything of any importance here, not just Brexit, without it being shut down.

As it stands you are likely to lose people as it hardly seems worth coming on here at present, to be frank.

The cynic in me says that the whole 'Arms area is little more than a fly in the ointment for MSE, at least from the viewpoint of running the site.

So what if a few members decide to abandon ship. If all you use the forum for is DT, then your only use to the site is the +1 to the total membership count, and whether you leave or get banned your account remains. Your job is done, goodbye.
    If you do use other parts of the site for money saving, even better. You'll maybe spend more time on parts of the site that do actually help people financially, hopefully sharing a few pearls of wisdom with others.

There have been plenty of 'official' comments on the subject before, and I thought Martin himself had made at least one but couldn't find it. Maybe it was in a thread later deleted.:think:
    This one sums up up well enough.
    Being completely blunt with you we just don't have the time or resource to wade through a lot of "he said/she said" on a part of the forum that has nothing to do with saving money. It's just as simple as that.

you guys who only spend your time there and not on other parts of the forum are in a bit of a bubble and it appears to you as though lots of people are getting infractions.

We'd much rather you all just get on with each other and, if you don't use the ignore button.

That will help us spend more time saving people money.
  • Mum_of_1
    Mum_of_1 Posts: 28 Forumite
    walesrob wrote: »

I thought they had?
    In a way at least.
    You can't see either Discussion Time or the other one, Debate House Prices & The Economy without signing up.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'd like to formally ask the team to consider vivatifosi's proposal to set a minimum number of posts or a minimum length of membership before new users can see/post on DT.

It makes a complete farce of the work of the mods for someone to be PPR'd then immediately make a new account for the purposes of continuing to break the forum rules.

Making it so users have to have been members of the site for - say - a month and have made 100 posts or have gained 100 thanks before being able to access the discussion forums would mean it would be much more difficult for 'professional agitators' to cause trouble.

The functionality exists - as demonstrated by MSE Labs - and I think it would decrease the work required by the team on these fora.

Additionally, one of the issues raised in the OP is the number of reports which are made which are not in breach of the forum rules - therefore I would also like mods to consider if there would be benefit to punishing false/vexatious reporting with the same three strike system as for other rule breaches.

If a user habitually reports other users who are not in violation of the rules of the site they are either doing it maliciously or do not understand the site rules - two warnings give ample opportunity to read the rules or to seek clarity via the site feedback area and a third strike to ban the user shows the team do not appreciate it's time being wasted.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • It would help if the mythical Ignore Button existed.

It's not hard to do, it could be on a dropdown from the user name, accessible when clicking on their profile or really obvious on the sidebar with their user name and post count or next to the Report Post/Spam buttons.

I've done it twice and promptly forgotten how to do it again, which is annoying when you're at the point of being irritated or bored enough with a poster to want to blank as much of them as possible - and likely adds to the report tally.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family