PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Potential fraud issue with previous owner?

Comments

• Doozergirl wrote: »
    Have you looked to see who the directors are if these new companies?

It sounds like they set up companies and then sell them on to people 'ready made'. There are companies that do that. The new owner then changes the address to their own legitimately.

It's weird using your address, but it's not fraudulent unless they do something fraudulent. I wonder why they use your address?!

It's always the same director - the person who I've been told used to rent my house.

That's what I was thinking about the selling them on to people, but as Slinky says I can't understand who would pay for this or why? And surely they would need some of the documentation that gets sent to me in order to sell the companies on?
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 April 2018 at 6:55PM
    Although you are not personally involved or liable. Your address is almost certainly being being used to facilitate fraud in some shape or form. I would suggest that you do not follow the advice some have given for you do nothing other than return mail.

Addresses do get linked if a succession of "dodgy companies" have that address in common so I'd report it sooner rather than later. There are credit reports available that show which businesses are registered at X address. They may not be reports that are available to the pubic but they exist.

Also debt or legal proceedings against these companies will involve correspondence to the registered office and possible visits from bailiffs or worst case scenario and hopefully a remote one of aggrieved people who may have been ripped off by one of these companies. If the only address showing is yours that is where they will turn up.

It is a legal requirement under the Companies Act for every Ltd Co to have a registered office to which all communications and notices may be addressed.

It is also a criminal offence for someone to deliberately provide misleading information to Companies House register, which the person setting up those companies is.

Legitimate company formation businesses do not use random addresses when forming new companies.

I would report this to Companies House 0303 123 4500

enquiries@companies-house.gov.uk

in the first instance and see what they suggest. Make it clear that companies are still being formed using your address long after you have moved in and give them examples.

I believe Companies House can replace your address with their own address in Cardiff as a default in cases where people's addresses have been hijacked.
  • dharm999
    dharm999 Posts: 559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Completely agree with Mystery Me. If it were me, I would check Companies House website for each company, and see who the directors are. They will be paperwork filed that may give you an address for the Director or other people involved in the companies. You can get the info for free from Companies House, just google Companies House beta service, that will allow you to search for info on the companies for free.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Out of interest, how does any fraud work? People aren't giving credit to these unknown shelf companies, are they?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Out of interest, how does any fraud work? People aren't giving credit to these unknown shelf companies, are they?

Wait until the debt collectors start turning up!

Or disgruntled customers who turn up after paying for goods they never receive.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/reporting-fraud-about-a-company-to-companies-house/reporting-fraud-to-companies-house#address-used-without-consent

It looks as though there is a specific way to report if your address is being used without your authority - it may be worth asking them if there is any way of doing it in bulk if there are multiple companies being registered inappropriately.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2018 at 9:35PM
    silvercar wrote: »
    Wait until the debt collectors start turning up!

Or disgruntled customers who turn up after paying for goods they never receive.

Yes, but the registered office isn't (necessarily) where the directors or any company assets are located, as it's often just e.g. the company's accountants. And the company may have zero assets anyway. So I'm not sure what the advantage is of using a completely unconnected address.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Yes, but the registered office isn't (necessarily) where the directors or any company assets are located, as it's often just e.g. the company's accountants. And the company may have zero assets anyway. So I'm not sure what the advantage is of using a completely unconnected address.

Just saying as it is. We bought off people whose business went bankrupt. They had their registered address as their home and we had all sorts of people turning up - debt collectors, people who had bought stuff in good faith from them and never received goods, charities who were promised donations......was an absolute pain.

Companies house said there was nothing they could do.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Why go to the post box every other day, why not once a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure