PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Threatening letter from council

Comments

• Ignores letter 1.
    Writes a message on an internet forum complaining that letter 2 is more strongly worded.

:T
  • So many judgement people on here. maybe somedays, weeks, months, depression is really bad and I don't care about opening letters. The council made no attempt to phone me to ask if I have acknowledged the letter or letters.

They have accused me of refusing to allow the council access to undertake the works. Correct me if I am wrong, but is not responding, refusing?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jon8871 wrote: »
    The council made no attempt to phone me to ask if I have acknowledged the letter or letters.
    But you (or somebody similar) might also complain about getting phone calls or knocks at the door which they don't want. The council can't predict what's going to get your attention, but they've obviously succeeded with their letter. And it's much cheaper for them to write to you than send someone round to possibly fruitlessly knock on your door (yes, they could also put a card through your door, but why would you pay attention to that if you ignored their original letter?).
    They have accused me of refusing to allow the council access to undertake the works. Correct me if I am wrong, but is not responding, refusing?
    If you don't respond, for whatever reason, then they're not being allowed access.
  • jon8871 wrote: »
    So many judgement people on here. maybe somedays, weeks, months, depression is really bad and I don't care about opening letters. The council made no attempt to phone me to ask if I have acknowledged the letter or letters.

Practically, yes, it is. The result is the same, ie the work doesn't get done. Especially if you've not responded to multiple letters, can you see why they might get a bit more serious?

They won't phone people as standard. It would take a lot of time, there is no guarantee that they get the right person on the phone, many people don't answer to unfamiliar numbers etc. As I suggested, talk to whomever you normally talk to about managing your depression to find a solution to deal with your post - they'll know more than us about what might be helpful.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You didn't say if you think it is ok, to threaten with eviction and a criminal record for not responding to a letter.

No, I don't think it is OK, but as I said in my previous post it is not worth the battle with all that entails, because you will only make the situation worse.
  • I have calmed down now, will ring the council Monday and let them come round and do the work. Even though I know they cause absolute mayhem, from what friends have told me who have had the rewiring done. Guess it's just another flaw of being poor, you have to do what the council tell you.

Will be putting in a complaint though for the threating letter and false accusations
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Apologise for what? I will be wanting an apology from them. They have made false accusations. Do you not think being threatned with eviction and a criminal record is too much for not responding to a letter?
    No. I don't think it is too much. Not if they have been sending you letters asking you to get in touch to arrange access and you have been bunging them in a pile unopened.

Each letter sent out costs the council money, and if you aren't responding then all they have left is to use the legal routes open to them to deal with the problem.

Eviction and a criminal record are the ultimate sanction, but sometimes making the threat is necessary in order to prompt a response. In this case it seems to have worked.
    Hi, the council have mine and my partner's phone number, they have not called or left any voicemails

Does no one think it is unreasonable to threaten with eviction and a criminal record over not respondiing to a letter?
    The formal method of communication about tenancy matters is by post. Unless you've specifically asked them to contact you by phone instead (e.g. for health reasons, might be appropriate in your case) then they will write to you - not least because a written letter is proof that notification has been given, whereas a phone conversation can be denied.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I have calmed down now, will ring the council Monday and let them come round and do the work. Even though I know they cause absolute mayhem, from what friends have told me who have had the rewiring done. Guess it's just another flaw of being poor, you have to do what the council tell you.
    On the plus side you are not having to fork out for the cost of having electrical work done on your home. :money:
    Will be putting in a complaint though for the threating letter and false accusations
    You are entitled to do this, but you will be wasting your time.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • anselld wrote: »
    No, I don't think it is OK, but as I said in my previous post it is not worth the battle with all that entails, because you will only make the situation worse.

Yeah, it's not worth the battle. Just not a nice way to be treated after giving the council many thousands in rent over the years. If my property is that unsafe they should of phoned or knocked to try and get hold of me, and not assume that I have read the letter, acknowledged it, and decided not to respond
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    [QUOTEYeah, it's not worth the battle. Just not a nice way to be treated after giving the council many thousands in rent over the years. If my property is that unsafe they should of phoned or knocked to try and get hold of me, and not assume that I have read the letter, acknowledged it, and decided not to respond][/QUOTE]

You haven't done them any favours by paying thousands in rent.

They gave you a home in return
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport