Taking it slowly, but doing it well.

Comments

• Lovely day today, party for a friend's little girl this morning. Pickle had a fab time and then a trip to the park this afternoon. Brisk walk in the cold, winter sun, coffee in the nice coffee shop and a play on the swings.
    Stopped off at mr T's on the way home, milk (told hubby we'd need more) a new toastie machine (£23 - been on hubby's wish list for a while) and 100 A3 laminating pouches for £9.50 - 100 A4 ones were £10, so the A3 were a bargain, and I won't go through them as quickly as I'm not teaching anymore. I need to make the labels for Pickle's toy boxes which is why I need more pouches.

Tomorrow is a baby group meet up at soft play. Thankfully I've managed to persuade them to change venue. The one initially chosen would have cost us £17 entry. The one we are now going to is only £6.
    I always feel very poor and subsequently 'cheap' around this group. The rest are all high flying, very well paid professionals. We could keep up with their spending (one some things) if we wanted to, but I don't want to. And it feels like I come across as tight fisted when I say I don't want to spend the money they would happily do without thinking. I know it's all about priorities, but I sometimes feel judged. I'm sure we'll have a good time tomorrow, but urgh I hate feeling this way. I'm actually happy with the way we do things, but it's hard to explain to people who don't see things the same way as we do sometimes.

Enough from me. I need to crack on with my knitting now my chores are all done.

Updates below.

Wish.
    MSE January Goals
    1) £210 Mop pot
    Target 1 - overpay interest amount: £12.36/£72.25
    Target 2 - next brick on the count down house: 0/£52.11
    Target 3 - £210 total overpayment: 0/£85.64

2) EF to £2000
    £35/£150 for January.

3) £2 coin challenge - will report at the end of the year.

4) NSD challenge
    3/15

5) jean challenge, will document monthly not daily.

6) Bullet journal tasks completed.
    7/7 ✅ It seems reporting my progress means I set a realistic to do list.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Fab diary Wish! And Thank you, I'd never heard of bullet journals before. I'm going to dig a pretty notebook out of my unpacked boxes tomorrow. What sort of pages do you keep in yours?
    "Why not now, OK so when and how," ElephantChunks.
    Electrics re-wire savings Oct 18 - March 2020 WE GOT ELECTRIC!
    Heating Loan Sept 0/£5000
    SPC14 #65
  • Fab diary Wish! And Thank you, I'd never heard of bullet journals before. I'm going to dig a pretty notebook out of my unpacked boxes tomorrow. What sort of pages do you keep in yours?

Thank you for coming to visit. I only started bullet journaling after reading about it here. So, I'm still on my first notebook and still refining my technique.

I've got the index page at the front.
    Then I've also used:

The 6 monthly/annual overview. Here (for 2018) I've recorded by targets for my mortgage overpayments, emergency fund additions. Rooms to deep clean & declutter, one off things I want/need to do (e.g. A car boot sale in April), I've also added things so I prep for Christmas in a sensible fashion next year (cake in October, mincemeat November, jam in September, ice the cake in December.

Monthly overview (so 1 line for each day in the month) are mostly used for meal planning, but down the right hand side I have a little code for my working days (w - hardly imaginative) and hubby's days when he's not around for tea (again very uninspiring T) this stops me planning highly fiddly time consuming meals when I have no time.
    The day per line takes up about 1.5 sides in a double spread, so I have my monthly to do list on the last half of the page. I copy over the tasks from the annual overview and add any extras that I know need to happen in the month.
    Next comes my daily 'to do lists' if I don't get something done on the day, I don't rewrite it on the next day's list, it just sits in its original list until it's done (and if I don't actually do it, the. It obviously doesn't really need doing)
    Somebody on the flylady thread yesterday said about having a page for
    Birthdays/events, which is a brilliant idea, because I'm rubbish, so I'm currently working on this - basically and annual overview page and writing the person's name in on each page. Working from the back of the journal I have a section where I write my (food) shopping lists- I know this isn't how the journal advocates say it should work, but it works for me.

I only write in the index for the 1 off pages, for the current annual, monthly, daily & food shop pages I have a post it note page marker so I can find the pages easily.

1 off pages, which are indexed in the contents page, have included
    Christmas present list
    Blue and yellow pleasure palace shopping & aisle location list
    Project planning for work (only work thing that I have used it for)
    Lots of other things too.

I didn't number all my pages at the start, I did about 100 pages to start, then did the rest over a couple of long car journeys.

Looking forward to taking inspiration from your pages Elephant Chunks.

Hope this helps.
    (Little one finally back to sleep now, so snooze time for me too - night all)
  • Thank you so much for the detailed reply! It's definitely given me food for thought. You're right about doing it the way that works for you if the 'correct' way doesn't. This should help me as I can be very forgetful and my many handbag lists just get written and not re-read. Excited!
    "Why not now, OK so when and how," ElephantChunks.
    Electrics re-wire savings Oct 18 - March 2020 WE GOT ELECTRIC!
    Heating Loan Sept 0/£5000
    SPC14 #65
  • Thank you so much for the detailed reply! It's definitely given me food for thought. You're right about doing it the way that works for you if the 'correct' way doesn't. This should help me as I can be very forgetful and my many handbag lists just get written and not re-read. Excited!

You are welcome ElephantChunks. It definitely keeps me on track with my life and is constantly evolving to keep up with my changing life.
  • So today is nearly over and so is week one of 2018 and no disasters so far. We're back to 'normal' this week, not that our family life is normal due to both hubby and my working lives. But Pickle returns to his swimming lesson tomorrow and the Childminder's on Tuesday.

This morning we met up with some of our baby group friends at the soft play. £5 spent (rather than the £17 it would have cost us at the soft play centre originally suggested) Pickle had a fab time - and so did Daddy on the quiet. It was good to catch up with all the little ones and their families too.

We had another terrible night with Pickle. He finally went back to sleep at 5am and then didn't wake until 9, this meant he didn't nap this afternoon. He's in bed and asleep now, let's see what tonight is like.

I'm onto my last ball of wool for the baby blanket I'm making, so I'm hoping I'll get that finished this week then return to a previous project that needs finishing for February. So, I'm off now, to knit. I'll read diaries when I'm in bed later.

MSE January Goals
    1) £210 Mop pot
    Target 1 - overpay interest amount: £12.36/£72.25

2) EF to £2000
    £35/£150 for January.

4) NSD challenge
    3/15

7/7 ✅ 3/3 days I've completed all of my journal jobs.
  • i am shattered tonight. I've not done that much today really. All the washing (4 loads I think) done and hung on the airers in the bathroom. Taken Pickle swimming. Finished the baby blanket I was making for a friend (will get it wrapped up and ready to post by the end of the week) made tea. Played with Pickle, swapped the car seat back into my car and cleared the rubbish out of it.
    All cleared up from tea, nappy bin emptied and Pickle currently in the bath with hubby supervising.
    I think I may just veg out once he's in bed. I think we are sorted for 'back to work' tomorrow. Back packed for the child minder's. Nappies & wipes ready to top up her supply, clothes for Pickle out.
    Hubby is being picked up at 5am for a London trip, so I can't imagine we'll oversleep (although I going to set an alarm just in case).

In mse news. A nsd, but my mobile bill has been generated, so a small Tilly tidy to the mop pot. Cleaner didn't come today, I'll not move that money over as she may come later in the week. If she doesn't come, I'll have hit my £150 target to pay for a commercial deep clean come the summer (I should have this money by the end of Feb anyway as Feb is a 4 Monday month, not a 5 Monday one. ) once this is achieved, any 'spare'
    Cleaning money gets diverted to the EF.

Right. Bath time over... updates

MSE January Goals
    1) £210 Mop pot
    Target 1 - overpay interest amount: £13.12/£72.25

2) EF to £2000
    £35/£150 for January.

4) NSD challenge
    4/15

11/11✅ 4/4 days I've completed all of my journal jobs.
  • Well the flylady thread is definitely spurring me on, by the time I got back from dropping Pickle at the Childminder's I only had the living room to hoover and my living room was spotless. I am so happy sat in here tonight. Just the rest of the house to go now, but at least I can come back to this space and feel calm.

Pickle's wardrobe has been delivered, so as long as I don't get a call for work tomorrow, my focus is on sorting his room out, putting all his clothes away and removing things he's grown out of.

Today has been a nsd which I'm happy with. And tea was lots of veg roasted with paprika and a tiny amount of chicken. It was actually really nice.

I'm not going to get any knitting done tonight, but that's ok, tomorrow is a new day. I wonder what it holds?

MSE January Goals
    1) £210 Mop pot

2) EF to £2000
    £35/£150 for January.

4) NSD challenge
    5/15

19/21 tasks
    4/5 days all tasks completed.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    wishingthemortgaheaway Posts: 2,536
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 10 January 2018 at 10:11PM
    Well today was a day for flying (flylady style...) so now, not only is my living beautiful, clean and decluttered, so is Pickle's bedroom and our bedroom is clean and clutter free (on the surface, that gets its deep clean an declutter another month)

Today hasn't been a nsd-
    The man came to measure and quote for a new track for the living room blinds. One of the bay window tracks is bust £57 is a bit more than I hoped it would be (hoping for £40 ish) but not unmanageable. I've paid a £30 deposit and the rest of the money is sorted, in cash ready to give them when they come back in a couple of weeks.
    I then had to pop to mr T's. Thanks to my incompetence in the blue and yellow pleasure palace a few weeks ago, I had a brand new, single sheet to go on our double bed. Oops. So bought a new one - paid £3 extra to have 100%cotton though. I also picked up 2 lots of 5% mincemeat and a pack of stewing steak (3 for £10 deal). I lot of mince in the freezer, 1 for tomorrow's lasagne and the stewing steak for a moo pie for the weekend.

I will need to go food shopping friday or Saturday, but I've put off having to go tomorrow now, so planning for a nsd.

Sounds like Pickle is now asleep, so I can crack on with my evening jobs.

Night all...

MSE January Goals
    1) £210 Mop pot

2) EF to £2000
    £35/£150 for January.

4) NSD challenge
    5/15

21/21
    5/6 days all tasks completed.
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Well done on all your flyladying, I must check it out. My daily sweep and wipe keeps everything neat and manageable but I hardly ever deep clean and usually feel a bit ashamed of what I find when I do:o

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback