What do you use for budgeting apps?

I'm trying to get on top of my finances, and i'be been looking into various different apps.

Does anyone use:

Mint?
You Need a Budget?
or bank related things, like Monzo targets?
or Cleo?

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on these, as they all seem to approach how you track and budget slightly differently. You Need a Budget looks slightly interesting, but i'm not sure if it's worth paying for.

Comments

• With YNAB, you are buying into a method (zero-based budgeting). It has helped me to eradicate my debt, transitioning into a regular saver instead. I wholeheartedly recommend! :) (Well worth every penny)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Thanks, it definitely seems like the best in terms of methodology, but 6.99 a month does add up, so I was concerned to see whether that is worth it compared to other free options, and see what peoples experiences are using the free options who have also tried You Need a Budget.

Have you used any of the others?
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,775
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    TomPucci85 wrote: »
    I'm trying to get on top of my finances, and i'be been looking into various different apps.

Does anyone use:

Mint?
    You Need a Budget?
    or bank related things, like Monzo targets?
    or Cleo?

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on these, as they all seem to approach how you track and budget slightly differently. You Need a Budget looks slightly interesting, but i'm not sure if it's worth paying for.
    I have been using Ynab for 4 years and have really benefited from it. My savings now are 5 x what I had in 2014. However I used the older version which didn't require a regular subscription.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I have used MS Money for over a decade but since it is no longer supported, I have switched to AceMoney for a one-off payment of $24.99. MS Money is also still in use by many forumites and is still available for free download - search the forum if you want the link.

Neither have apps versions. You need a Windows PC for them.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,023
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I use MS Money for all my individual accounts as well as an overall budget account. I have duplicated the budget account as an Excel spreadsheet so I can have it on my phone as an excel document and PDF.
  • I'm also a massive fan of YNAB, but I am still on the old version that was a one-off payment to buy. I love the app and particularly that my husband and I can share the same budget via Dropbox so we both log our expenditure to the same running totals.

The version I'm using is no longer supported and may well fail at some point in the future, probably if there's ever an update to Dropbox which means YNAB doesn't work with it any more. At that point I will probably pay for it, although it is a bit steep.
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    M.S Money is no longer supported
    BUT it still works fine ….if you enter DATA
    manually
    i.e. you spend,,,, then enter data

loads or more data,,,,, you can then get for THE future
    you then know what you ARE spending !
  • I'm also a massive fan of YNAB, but I am still on the old version that was a one-off payment to buy. I love the app and particularly that my husband and I can share the same budget via Dropbox so we both log our expenditure to the same running totals.

The version I'm using is no longer supported and may well fail at some point in the future, probably if there's ever an update to Dropbox which means YNAB doesn't work with it any more. At that point I will probably pay for it, although it is a bit steep.
    This is one of the reasons I went for the new version, because as an early subscriber I get it for around £3 a month, which is very manageable indeed.

To the OP, I have tried other apps but none of them quite do it like YNAB, which just works perfectly for us.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • I use KMyMoney. It's totally free and does not send your info to other companies.
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Question to YNAB fans. Last time I looked at YNAB is several years ago. Has it improved on the shortfalls I identified back then?

My assessment then was: YNAB might be fine if you have just one or two accounts. If you have dozens, including investment accounts, it's totally useless. Investment accounts aren't supported at all. It also doesn't offer import from MS Money or AceMoney, so migrating your existing data would be a nightmare.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure