PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    TamsinC wrote: »
    Don't shoot yourself in the foot too quickly - we sold with Purple Bricks - refused to use their conveyancers and the house sale completed in 6 weeks. It's their conveyancing service that is complete cr*p.

Thanks. To be fair PB are much better now at responding to us, it doesnt help matters that the vendors are useless too!
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    SG27 wrote: »
    Thanks. To be fair PB are much better now at responding to us, it doesnt help matters that the vendors are useless too!
    Beginning to get annoyed by our vendors - seems to always be pushing for an exchange date (you remember the saga of the end of June only 5 weeks after offer and before our survey?) Beginning of last week they wanted 2nd week in July - well I've been trying to contact them for the last 9 days via the EA and they just aren't responding. So mid July isn't going to happen either, Their solicitor is being very slow too. Why give these ultimatums if you aren't willing to move forward yourself? We are bending over backwards to do everything they ask and they just keep sending us stress. I have to try hard to separate their behaviour from the house itself! Grrrrr.
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    TamsinC wrote: »
    Beginning to get annoyed by our vendors - seems to always be pushing for an exchange date (you remember the saga of the end of June only 5 weeks after offer and before our survey?) Beginning of last week they wanted 2nd week in July - well I've been trying to contact them for the last 9 days via the EA and they just aren't responding. So mid July isn't going to happen either, Their solicitor is being very slow too. Why give these ultimatums if you aren't willing to move forward yourself? We are bending over backwards to do everything they ask and they just keep sending us stress. I have to try hard to separate their behaviour from the house itself! Grrrrr.

Yes it does make you start to feel bad about the house itself when you have difficult vendors I think thats partly what is making us think to keep our optiins open!

Hopefully you get your survey back on Monday. Have you spoken to the surveyor at all about the results? Our survey took 9 days to come back but I wasn't too fussed as I've not been worrying about it. Im less worried about the purchase than I was about the sale.
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    SG27 wrote: »
    Yes it does make you start to feel bad about the house itself when you have difficult vendors I think thats partly what is making us think to keep our optiins open!

Hopefully you get your survey back on Monday. Have you spoken to the surveyor at all about the results? Our survey took 9 days to come back but I wasn't too fussed as I've not been worrying about it. Im less worried about the purchase than I was about the sale.
    Not spoken to him yet, I wanted to wait to see what it said first. We did ask that he address particular issues which I am interested to see what he says. I doubt there is anything much on there. But I'm just impatient. If they had said at the outset - it will take 2 weeks to get the survey that would have been fine but they didn't and so I didn't know. I feel like I'm trying hard to get things done quickly but getting thwarted all the time.
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • juliang
    juliang Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My purchase has moved a lot faster than my sale. Everything is now 'done' with the purchase (bar exchange), but we're waiting on the person buying mine.

Buyer wants to move by 27th July as tenancy ends then... Really pushed my solicitors, and my vendor pushed too, to try and make sure we could accomodate that.

Obviously, it's now my "super eager" buyer that we're waiting for...

My timeline:
    Estate Agents Instructed: 1st May
    First meeting with broker: 1st May
    House on Rightmove: 4th May
    Acceptable offer on mine: 8th May - quicker than I expected so was not prepared.
    Viewed new houses: 12th May
    Second meeting with broker: 14th May
    AIP: 14th May
    Offer accepted on house: 16th May - Chain complete
    Full 'proper' mortgage application: 21st May
    Mortgage offer: 13th June
    Full Survery on Purchase: 18th June
    Searches Returned on Purchase: 19th June
    Buyers Survey: 21st June
    Replies to All Enquiries on Purchase: 4th July
    Ready to exchange on purchase: Now... but not because haven't exchanged on sale yet. Buyer's solcitor has raised more enquiries.
  • Roo89
    Roo89 Posts: 69 Forumite
    I am so tired of waiting. We've been ready to exchange since April, but issues further up the chain meant our vendors vendor had to pull out of their original purchase, and we're now waiting for them to go through all the steps on their new purchase.

Our offer was accepted 12th Feb, the chain finally completed on the 12th June for the top of the chain to pull out of that purchase, and then had an offer accepted again on 2nd July.

I swear once we're in this house I will never move again. If it wasn't for the fact we've got a brilliant house which needs no major work and only a coat of paint, I'd have been looking at other properties.

I really wanted to be in this week at the latest, so we could unpack and get settled before my birthday, then have a combined birthday house warming party on the 28th - but that's not gonna happen now.

I'm guessing we've got 6 - 8 weeks of waiting still to go
  • devildolly5
    devildolly5 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Joining this thread as we have a buyer for our house and an offer accepted on a property, so onwards to exchange.

Timelines so far
    15/5 Our house goes up for sale
    1/6 Accept offer on our house
    20/6 Offer accepted on a house, and our buyers have their mortgage offered
    21/6 All documents to our solicitor for both sale and purchase
    21/6 Buyers tell estate agent they want to complete by end of July!!! Dream on.
    22/6 Mortgage applied for new house
    26/6 Contacted solicitor to check they received the money on account - radio silence
    27/6 Mortgage offer received (super quick!)
    28/6 Waiting for something to happen.......

I know our buyers are super keen to get in the house to be in the area for when school starts I suspect, but they cant surely expect this to all be wrapped up in 5 weeks! It has me a little worried that they may not have the most realistic expectations and will pull out. They are not FTB either, so know the process surely.

First time buying and selling, eek!

So it turns out that despite them telling me they prefer to communicate via email, my solicitors are sending every minute update by post! Grrrr.....but contracts have been issued to my buyer. Just waiting for survey results and contracts from our vendors solicitor.
  • Chanlf91
    Chanlf91 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Not getting our hopes up as we haven't exchanged yet, but completion still set for the 13th. Solicitors called this morning to say they've requested mortgage funds. Panic mode setting in so I'm trying to occupy myself by scrubbing this house clean. 1 less job to do when we move!
  • jennhg88
    jennhg88 Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Solicitors: "Not much to do now, will be back in touch when ready to exchange on sale and purchase"

Estate agent: "Well things are moving, but bottom of the chain is waiting on local search and to raise enquiries, and your buyer's solicitor is still waiting on the management pack from your solicitor...."

So the management pack we paid £192 for and immediately sent on to our buyer's solicitor (via email) on the 3rd July hasn't been received yet? Hmmmmmm
  • BladeY_2
    BladeY_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    6th June - Full application made with Nationwide
    7th June - Valuation booked for 14th of June
    14th June - Valuation took place
    18th June - Valuation accepted
    20th June - requested bank statements
    20th June - Instructed a solicitor
    26th June - Mortage offer issued.
    29th June - Solicitor receives the draft contract, Searches begins
    9th July - Still waiting for Searches. Solicitor said should be 13th at the latest.

Vender and I really want to move the start of next month.. Just can't see it happing... Can anyone tell me how far we are away? :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback