Munchin's Marvellous Debt Busting Diary

Munchin
Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
edited 17 May 2019 at 4:07PM in Debt free diaries
Morning :wave:

I've decided to start a new diary as the old one was about trying to stay debt free when I had finally cleared my debt in January this year. Over the course of 3 diaries I have paid off £26,000 (approx) debt but unfortunately I'm back in debt...again :o. I know there probably doesn't seem to be any positives to debt but the difference now is that I have things to show for it. I've roughly calculated that I have (or will have) £6,300 worth of debt which is due to my credit card debt and I am in the process of getting a new bathroom in my Mum's house. I know the debt wont be more than the above figure but it will be close to it. I will update my signature with the total amount once I see the bathroom people on Saturday to confirm.

In my last diary I wanted to focus on my savings and I still want to do that but realistically they will be curtailed as I want to be debt free by the end of 2019. I do have a savings policy maturing in 2019 which will be just over £3000 but I would like to keep that to really boost my savings pot. For those that know me ..I am such a fritterer...oh shiny bauble ...must buy BUT no more!!!!!

This diary is going to be my attempt at a spending fast and to change the bad habits that keep dragging me back into debt.

I still have the following aims for 18/19 -

• Debt free by end of [STRIKE]2019[/STRIKE] 2020
  • An Emergency fund for a rainy day - target £6,000.
  • A dream trip ...I had hoped for the Maldives but it is now looking like Sri Lanka as I have friends there.
As I said in previous diaries in the months ahead my diary will continue to be about penny pinching….probably giving off to myself about frittering and mainly about getting my debt cleared.

In the words of so many MSE'rs please pull up a chair, bring the Jaffa cakes and offer helpful advice (tell me off please :)).

Comments

• Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hey! Just stopping by with some support on your new journey :)

Your holiday sounds fantastic!! Great goal to work towards!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • I've subscribed Munchin.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Munchin
    Hi HG & HHD :)

So I had a funny strange start to the day. I was putting on my make up and my nose just started to bleed. I've never had a proper nosebleed in my life. Typically it happened when I only had 5 mins to spare. Cleaned up and out the door with seconds to spare but my sinus feels sore.

So no frittering today but I did spend £15 on vets fees ….I thought I got off very lightly last week when I took the pup to the vets. Thank goodness he got a clean bill of health and it was money well spent. I paid £30 for diesel and £1.39 for washing up liquid. I knew that liquid was all I needed so that's all I got....go me :).

I was at yoga tonight so tired and ready for bed now (5.30 comes very early in the morning). I will have to pay out £40 next week for the next block (6 weeks) but so worth it for mental health.

Weekly spends - w/c 30th Sept

Sun 30th - NSD
    Mon 01st - NSD (1)
    Tues 02nd -£30 diesel, £1.39 washing liquid & £15 vet.
    Wed 03rd -
    Thurs 04th -
    Fri 05th -
    Sat 06th -

Total - £46.39.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hey, found you and subbed :D
  • Munchin
    Hi Lilith - glad you found me :D.

Today I finally got back into doing surveys and managed to do 1 Prolific survey - 65p :). I'm still not a fan of Swagbucks but needs must.

I had an NSD today but I'm out to dinner with ex colleagues tomorrow night which is a 6 monthly thing and will probably cost about £20.

Sun 30th - NSD
    Mon 01st - NSD (1)
    Wed 03rd - NSD (2)
    Thurs 04th -
    Fri 05th -
    Sat 06th -

Total - £46.39.
  • Happy new diary!
  • Munchin
    edited 6 October 2018 at 12:42PM
    Surveys @ 05 Oct

Swagbucks - 361 SB (800 SB = £5 paypal)
    Receipt Hog - 275 coins (1500 coins = £5/ 2850 coins = £10/ 5300 coins = £20/12000 coins = £50)
    Topcashback - £0.10 payable
    Prolific - £3.23

Budgets- w/c Sun 30th Sept 18

Grocery/Food - £80pm/£22.24 spent
    Eating Out - £30/£22 spent
    Fuel -£80pm/£30 spent
    Household -£20/£14.99 spent

Sun 30th - NSD
    Mon 01st - NSD (1)
    Wed 03rd - NSD (2)
    Thurs 04th - £22 dinner out & £11 M&S groceries
    Fri 05th - NSD (3)
    Sat 06th - £9.10 groceries

Total - £88.49.
  • Munchin
    Morning

Last night I was out for dinner with my ex work colleagues and it was such a good night with lots of chat and it was kind of a cathartic experience. I was able to relate some of the work issues I have currently and I knew this small group totally understood. I don't normally go for desert as I never have any room but I had a gorgeous chocolate brownie which came with, custard, chocolate sauce, ice cream and cream ......hung for a sheep as a lamb:D.

OH & I are going to see Joanna Lumley tomorrow night as part of her tour. In my previous diary I was attending therapy for eating disorder issues although I have been in recovery for about 8 years but I do have the odd wobble now and again. The reason I'm mention this is that the therapist asked where the 'fun' was in my life....funny you don't notice when you start to insulate yourself and not venture out SO the upshot is that I meet friends more ...I book wee nights out with OH. Tomorrow night is Joanna Lumley and next week is LUSH in the SSE arena :D. LUSH classical is dance music performed by an orchestra, should be fun. I try and say yes more when my instinctive reaction is to pull the duvet over my head...though sometimes that is the necessary and enjoyable action.

Tomorrow Mum, my sister and I are heading to see the bathroom people to finalise the tile choices etc for the bathroom and work out the final cost. They would like 50% up front and the rest once the job is done which seems reasonable. I used to live in London many moons ago and the one thing I appreciate about being home ( N Ireland) is that I know the reputation of the local tradesmen and I don't worry so much about being ripped off or shoddy work.

Sister (in England) texted last night to let me know she will be home with wains for Halloween. Hopefully the bathroom gods will be smiling on me tomorrow and the work at Mums could be done before she comes to visit.

Plans tomorrow - volunteer, bathroom & tidy.

Money front - £2.74 earned on Prolific this morning and 1 of the surveys was about consumerism and spending habits.. right up my street.

• Munchin
    Morning

Volunteer thing done and bathroom ordered....go me :). Deposit of £2,000 paid and the rest will be paid at the end of the job. The bathroom gods were only semi smiling as no mission of getting bathroom before Halloween but we should have it by Xmas :D

I went to my volunteer thing and it was over a lot sooner than I had thought and then popped into Asda.

I have an interview for a job on Monday which I found out about yesterday so need to spend part of today preparing for an interview. I'm not sure if it is what I want but at least it will get me away from my current work situation which is quite stressful, no harm in trying.

I have an ironing mountain to tackle today but I'm doing a great job of procrastinating.

I'm out tonight but hopefully OH will pay for parking and will drive as I bought the tickets. Tomorrow we will hopefully be heading to the beach for a nice dander.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure