PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Comments

• tattycath wrote: »
    Thanks for this. My kettle needs rescaling. I shall use vinegar-never thought of saving and reusing. Thanks for the tip. :)

Me too!Thanks.
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you have an old hand sprayer like this

m7JHoXnb_CdNFQQPSPdKHWw.jpg
    Then you could also fill it with white vinegar and use for general cleaning. It is great for cleaning glass and mirrors and greasy ceilings above an extractor fan. I also use it on any work surface as well.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Now is the best time to scour the supermarkets and large high street shops for that last of the christmas clear outs. Once valentine's is out of the way supermarkets need the space for easter and gardening items.

I managed to get slippers and a 4 pack of socks in Boots for £2 each (although I used points).

2 pack of large roll of clear selloptape (in a Christmas style cellophane wrapper) in Tesco for 50p.

3metres of Turkey foil (brand Bacofoil) in Asda for 10p (yes, 10p!!!!).

So keep your eyes peeled.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • I always love valentines day and all the chocolate hearts.
    They are great for my Wedding Anniversary, on the 28th February!
  • Also, while I am in the grove, we goes to the Pub where lots of thirst daters meet. It makes BoPsie giggle at them, expecially the 6ft Blonde who always gets carpetted! I no, not saving the extra penny, but well worth the 6 pints of ale just to watch!
  • Frugalsod
    Forumite
    Many of you might know this one. I occasionally buy SM value coke. If it is drinkable then you can drink it. If not it becomes "Toilet Cleaner Coke"!
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I make a full pot of tea in the morning, using 1 tea bag (I like it light), fill a flask and then my breakfast cup. So when I come back home after errands etc I can have another cuppa without having to boil the kettle again.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Frugalsod
    Forumite
    Caterina wrote: »
    I make a full pot of tea in the morning, using 1 tea bag (I like it light), fill a flask and then my breakfast cup. So when I come back home after errands etc I can have another cuppa without having to boil the kettle again.

I do that as well, but I even reheat the water so that the flask will stay hot all day. Boil the water put into the flask. Leave for 10 to 15 minutes and then reboil. It will boil very quickly and then refill the flask. The water in the flask should stay hot all day, and even boiling twice will still save money because it was not that cold to start with ion the second boil, plus by doing it this way you eliminate all the extra wasted hot water that you would get boiling the water each time.
  • Caterina wrote: »

I do that as well when I make my coffee in the mornings, I make it in a French Press,I have one cup with my Brekie, and then I fill my Flask with the rest, so I have coffee for the rest of the day:T
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I love porridge and with porridge oats being cheaper than the instant stuff instead of making it in a pot in the morning I'll soak one part oats to 2 parts water in a bowl overnight then microwave it on high in the morning. It takes about 90 seconds (depending on the power of the microwave) but this uses less energy than cooking on the hob without soaking.

I never waste the dregs of a cereal, I mix this with others and add maybe a handful of dried fruit to get something different.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback