Scammed from TSB

Options

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 May 2018 at 6:46PM
    Options
    Sounds pretty run of the mill. OPs son likely replied to a phishing email. From there the fraudsters got his DOB, name and bank account info. They used that to do a username reminder, SIM swap with Vodaphone and then a password/ memorable word reset with a SMS or phone call to the new SIM card.

Straight forward refund from TSB then.

Only option I see as the cause for it.
  • deadendwaterfall
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    Have you read post 36 above?
    Regan55 wrote: »
    It was a store in London. They won’t release cctv to me.
    The vagueness and ambiguity of the location of the store makes me further still doubt your situation.
    :o
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 May 2018 at 9:05AM
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    It all seems too convenient.

They knew he was on Vodafone.
    They knew his phone number.
    They knew who he banked with.
    They knew senstive and secure login details for said bank.
    They knew he had money in his accounts.

Get the picture now?

All these details are sold every day on undergroung websites - they are called "fullz"
    They are collected by hackers , bin divers and phishers who sell them on in job lots to criminals who will put them to use - as the hard bit is extracting the money from the account.

Chances are that these details were bought, in say a "pack" of ten for around $20-$50 each
    It is then down to the buyer to extract money from the account (if there is any there)

That is the hard part.

In this case the sim swap technique has been used

Other techniques include transferring the contents of the account to a payee that is already verified
    (victims friend for example)
    And then spoofing a text message to that friend saying "!!!! iv just transferred you 5k by mistake - be a love and transfer it back to this account number xxxxxxx ..

This stuff happens every day - Im not sure why so many of you find all this so hard to believe :huh:
  • Regan55
    Regan55 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    The vagueness and ambiguity of the location of the store makes me further still doubt your situation.

That is all I was told by Vodafone...........done in London. They are not going to tell me which store. I’m surprised they even told me that.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have the police asked for the cctv ?
  • Regan55
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    All these details are sold every day on undergroung websites - they are called "fullz"
    They are collected by hackers , bin divers and phishers who sell them on in job lots to criminals who will put them to use - as the hard bit is extracting the money from the account.

Chances are that these details were bought, in say a "pack" of ten for around $20-$50 each
    It is then down to the buyer to extract money from the account (if there is any there)

That is the hard part.

In this case the sim swap technique has been used

Other techniques include transferring the contents of the account to a payee that is already verified
    (victims friend for example)
    And then spoofing a text message to that friend saying "!!!! iv just transferred you 5k by mistake - be a love and transfer it back to this account number xxxxxxx ..

This stuff happens every day - Im not sure why so many of you find all this so hard to believe :huh:

Like I said earlier, I really don’t understand any of this tech stuff. I find it unbelievable myself........also find it unbelievable that some in here think I am making this sh it up......or suspecting me of “priming for a future scam”

Keyboard warriors everywhere :(
  • Regan55
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Have the police asked for the cctv ?

I was told to contact Action fraud, which is part of the police. Spoke to my local police station, and that’s what they advised. They are the only ones who can request the CCTV.

Action fraud told me the average time is 3 months before I could possibly hear anything. :(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Not really.

Not falling for phishing scams and properly shredding/destroying any post etc. are key here as well.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The sim swap was most likely the last step to put to use all the information they had already gathered.
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Yorkshire_Pud Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Like I said earlier, I really don’t understand any of this tech stuff. I find it unbelievable myself........also find it unbelievable that some in here think I am making this sh it up......or suspecting me of “priming for a future scam”

The key thing here is what your son did or didn't do.

Keyboard warriors, on mse:)

There is a lot of bleating by 'victims' of Internet bank fraud in the media who always think its the banks fault. So in this story there is not too much sympathy because the keyboard warriors, i.e. anyone who doesn't agree with you, think the fault lies closer to home. That should give you a reasonable idea of the kind of reaction you will get from the bank, authorities etc. so if genuine you need a more cohesive presentation of the facts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure