PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Are we classed as a first time buyer?

Hi all, my partner and I are looking to buy a house this year. I have never bought/owned a property, but he owned a house with his ex partner. When they separated over three years ago they sold the house, so he no longer has a mortgage. My partner and I currently rent. I'm not sure if we would qualify for not paying stamp duty either... any advice is much appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Unfortunately to be a first time buyer, it has to be your first time buying a house.

You will not get stamp duty relief on your purchase. Sorry.
  • SammyN
    SammyN Posts: 5 Forumite
    jonnygee2 wrote: »
    Unfortunately to be a first time buyer, it has to be your first time buying a house.

You will not get stamp duty relief on your purchase. Sorry.

Thank you for your reply. I've heard different things by looking through forums so it's a bit puzzling! I appreciate your response, thanks
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    SammyN wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. I've heard different things by looking through forums so it's a bit puzzling! I appreciate your response, thanks

You could always go straight to the horse's mouth...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/661728/8274_guidance_note_SDLT_relief_for_first_time_buyers.pdf

jonnygee2 is correct though, your partner is not a FTB in terms of the SDLT relief therefore if you jointly purchase a property with your partner you will not qualify for the SDLT relief.
  • SammyN
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    You could always go straight to the horse's mouth...

jonnygee2 is correct though, your partner is not a FTB in terms of the SDLT relief therefore if you jointly purchase a property with your partner you will not qualify for the SDLT relief.

Thank you. The link doesn't work but I'll find it via Google :)
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You will find some lenders will offer you a FTB mortgage product but you do not qualify for SDLT FTB exemption unless neither purchaser has never previously owned a dwelling.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • SammyN
    kingstreet wrote: »
    You will find some lenders will offer you a FTB mortgage product but you do not qualify for SDLT FTB exemption unless neither purchaser has never previously owned a dwelling.

This is really helpful, thank you:T
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    kingstreet wrote: »
    You will find some lenders will offer you a FTB mortgage product but you do not qualify for SDLT FTB exemption unless neither purchaser has ever previously owned a dwelling

(just to clarify........:T)
  • SammyN
    G_M wrote: »
    You will find some lenders will offer you a FTB mortgage product but you do not qualify for SDLT FTB exemption unless neither purchaser has ever previously owned a dwelling

(just to clarify........:T)

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family