PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help me decide - Rear garden facing

dippa
dippa Posts: 30 Forumite
edited 20 January 2019 at 9:30AM in House buying, renting & selling
I'm currently stuck trying to decide which property to go for out of these two new builds, that are yet to be built.

The 113 is roughly 26ft wide (including garage) and 20ft long. The 112 (yellow) is a similar size minus the corner behind the garage.

The one one (113 in blue) is a north east facing garden, but offers a slightly bigger garden with the corner behind the garage. It also has nothing over looking it from behind the back of the garden either. Also, the 4 houses with HAD on them are bungalows.

The other (112 in yellow) is a south west garden I believe, has a slightly smaller garden with the corner behind the garage not being there. The garden is surrounded by other gardens.

What's the better house position for me to go for ? Both properties are not yet built btw.

50436392-2296760430376838-2719600878402142208-n.jpg

Comments

• quirkydeptless
    quirkydeptless Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 January 2019 at 8:28AM
    When I was house hunting, I found this useful:

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/types-of-garden-shade/

South or South-West facing gardens seemed to be the most sought after.
    Retired 1st July 2021.
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
  • Gwendo40
    Gwendo40 Posts: 349 Forumite
    Assuming that's to scale, the NE one looks like it's big enough that it would still get a fair bit of sun, especially during the months when you actually want to use it.
    Although it looks like it still abuts just as many other gardens as the SW one, apart from along it's back border.

I'm a real sun worshipper but I found my previous SW rear garden was actually too hot and un-shady on the hottest of days
  • dippa
    edited 20 January 2019 at 9:49AM
    Cheers both.

@Gwendo40- The 113 is roughly 26ft wide (including garage) and 20ft long. The 112 (yellow) is a similar size minus the corner behind the garage.

If the garden is shorter than the length of the house then I assume it won't get any sun due to the shadow
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Easy enough to work out where this is

What is wrong with plot 93?
  • getmore4less
    When considering an aspect

You can build structures to provide shade.
    You can't put up a different Sun.
  • dippa
    Easy enough to work out where this is

What is wrong with plot 93?

Haha I thought someone might recognise it. I did consider 93 but believe someone has already reserved it.

Yeah you're right, a garden that faces the sun will always be more appealing. Like you mentioned, you can also create your own shade. Thank you for your input and help :)
  • Alan2020
    Alan2020 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Generally a south facing garden will have a lot more value. Will you spend time in a cold mossy secluded garden doing a bbq?

Developers do this as they try to keep house prices roughly the same.

Advantages of a bigger north facing garden is room to extend house. Disadvantage is easy to slip on moss on any hard surface, not much except weeds and dead grass due to constant moss.

South facing garden is suntrap and usable, not much potential to expand.

Our garden ( in London) is roughly 10m deep, but south facing, houses opposite 15m or so, all sell for roughly the same price.

Food for thought, usability or expand ability
  • Esie
    Esie Posts: 12 Forumite
    112, no more over looked and cut corner not an issue. The aspect is preferable. I’ve a corner cut off my garden and it’s not noticeable with planting. I’m north though and do notice lack of sun in agyernoon
  • Alan2020
    Alan2020 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 January 2019 at 10:34AM
    Wanted to add, 113 is most likely to be burgled from the back
    Oh both houses have a terrible disadvantage, what will you do if several people park on your access road and block you in or out. Happens a lot in new builds with insufficient parts
  • getmore4less
    dippa wrote: »
    Haha I thought someone might recognise it. I did consider 93 but believe someone has already reserved it.

Yeah you're right, a garden that faces the sun will always be more appealing. Like you mentioned, you can also create your own shade. Thank you for your input and help :)

They need to update their on-line info, it is not marked as sold.

Does it have to be new build there is a lot around there for 50k less upto that money they want

I do quite like the floor plan of that particular model.

I would also investigate the details of the shared access,

The advantage of the two plots at the end of that little road is there may be more parking options than 93 can offer but you could find other people parking on that access if wide enough for 2 cars.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure