Can 50/50 collision make an injury claim?

Hi i need advise please.
I had an accident with a cyclist, i was turning right into a one way road from a give way and she (third party) was coming down from my right (cyclist lane) and i looked and was safe and clear for me to maneuver, I turned my car and was in middle of the road and she (third prty) was hit from the passenger side bumper. Ambulance and police came at the scene, they checked her and police took her statement also mine, he said that he will report it as a collision but also 50/50. Also on the corner of the road there was tables and a plant, he said he will write as well this was a distraction. He said she (third party) is ok just minor and she (third party) walked home and the bike looks ok. Police said there is nothing else to do and no Reference/case number as he is happy for me to go.

Now she contacted my insurance for an injury claim.

What is my situation? Can she (third party) make this claim? Shall I fight for it? Police told he it’s 50/50

Please advise me.

Comments

• Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,177
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Police don't apportion liability in civil cases so the fact that the officer said it was 50:50 is fairlu irrelevant. Probably what he meant is that they won't be prosecuting you for any driving offence over the accident. From a civil perspective if you pulled out from a give way junction and collided with a cyclist or car who had right of way then the starting point will be that you were to blame.

But even if it is 50:50 (which would mean that the cyclist was equally to blame) the cyclist can still make a claim for injury and damage to her bike - she will just get half the amount he would have got had you been 100% to blame.
  • Yes they can and will make a successful claim. Even if liability is 50% they will still get damages. As you should have or should be telling your insurance, whatever they award to the cyclist won’t affect your premium. The fact you had an accident will.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure