Refused credit by Apple/Barclays

Comments

• Look on the bright side. It probably saved you from buying something that is overpriced anyway, as most Apple products are.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Exodi wrote: »
    Thank yourself lucky, this demographic you speak of would appear to be the DFW forum as it seems every single one of them has an iPhone Z 2019 MAX XL impulse purchased and think paying £70+ a month for it is reasonable (spoiler alert: this is what I pay in a YEAR on PAYG).

You say you've just finished paying an EE contract so you presumably already have an iPhone 7 or something of that calibre? Do you really need one that operates 0.001s faster and has six extra cameras? The fact you mention a mortgage and multiple car finances worries me.

Of course you could be loaded and not care, but then I don't see why you would be bother with credit on anything or be declined in the first place.

What happened to the good ol' days where if people wanted something, they'd save for it?

EDIT:

Exactly my thoughts!!

What good old days is that?... before credit cards and bank loans and people saved up to buy cars and homes outright.

There is nothing wrong with buying stuff on credit and the fact that Apple give the opportunity for people who can afford it a way to get a new iPhone without paying any apr% is a good thing. If you don’t think so then you must be one of those people who want all credit cards and bank loans outlawed.
  • System
    Community Admin
    Look on the bright side. It probably saved you from buying something that is overpriced anyway, as most Apple products are.

Oh come on can you not come up with something original than “overpriced”

That same old tripe has been trotted out for decades. By your logic everyone would be buying the cheapest products and you would not have expensive watches, clothes, cars, holidays, houses, perfume.... need I go on!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,626
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    john22 wrote: »

That same old tripe has been trotted out for decades. By your logic everyone would be buying the cheapest products and you would not have expensive watches, clothes, cars, holidays, houses, perfume.... need I go on!

Apple products are overpriced for their spec though, hardly tripe when a comparable phone from one of the numerous other phone manufacturers can be 25-50% cheaper. The Xs 5.8" is £999 and Rs Max 6.5" is £1099

As this is an MSE site and OP has some issues with affordability, maybe they need to be looking for a cheaper option. Watches, cars, holidays, houses etc are not comparable to a phone which is out of spec in 2 years, maybe even 1. OP would be better looking at iPhone 8 4.7" which at least is £599 or £699 for the 5.5".
  • john22 wrote: »

You've come onto the wrong site. This is "Moneysavingexpert" not "Flash the Cash!"
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Apple products are overpriced for their spec though, hardly tripe when a comparable phone from one of the numerous other phone manufacturers can be 25-50% cheaper. The Xs 5.8" is £999 and Rs Max 6.5" is £1099

As this is an MSE site and OP has some issues with affordability, maybe they need to be looking for a cheaper option. Watches, cars, holidays, houses etc are not comparable to a phone which is out of spec in 2 years, maybe even 1. OP would be better looking at iPhone 8 4.7" which at least is £599 or £699 for the 5.5".

Precisely. :T
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • System
    Community Admin
    Nasqueron wrote: »

Then base the response to what the OP is saying and find out exactly what they want and if they are willing to look at something else.

Just throwing out that Apple products are overpriced is lazy at best or resentful at worst.

Value comes in many ways and is not just equated to the cheapest price. This has been proven for the past 12 years of the iPhone because that same tripe of overpriced apple products was labelled against the first iPhone.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    What good old days is that?... before credit cards and bank loans and people saved up to buy cars and homes outright.

There is nothing wrong with buying stuff on credit and the fact that Apple give the opportunity for people who can afford it a way to get a new iPhone without paying any apr% is a good thing. If you don’t think so then you must be one of those people who want all credit cards and bank loans outlawed.

What a skewed outlook on life. Get credit when you might lose your job, become ill, have an accident which leaves you no longer able to work, marriage breakdown which is going to cost thousands when you split the home up and have kids to provide for until they are 18, and have no chance of paying it back.

Why not be sensible and live within your means. If you have a mortgage you have an asset which will in time increase in value. Mine I bought for £39,000, now paid off.

Cars depreciate so it's stupid to saddle yourself with a debt just because it looks nice and shiny. Buy a cheap runabout then save up for an upgrade in a year or two's time.

Nothing wrong in buying something on credit, ha, what a laugh. That's the mentality of the 'got to have it now' brigade, only when you get on that band wagon, what you already have is never enough. The manufacturers know that, oooh, lets bring out a new model, there are lots of mugs out there who will fall for it, make plenty of money for us rich corporate people.

I do despair.
    ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • System
    Community Admin
    You've come onto the wrong site. This is "Moneysavingexpert" not "Flash the Cash!"

Precisely. :T

Yip defiantly a bitter and resentful person towards anyone who likes something that they find no value in.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,835
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 January 2019 at 12:30PM

No, before everyone became entitled to own the newest iPhone regardless of their income. I don't understand your loaded comment about the absurdity of buying cars without credit? I won't even acknowledge your exaggeration of buying houses outright.

Consumer borrowing is increasing over inflation, it's not as if this is secret information...

united-kingdom-consumer-credit.png?s=unitedkinconcre&v=201901041209a1&d1=20090101&d2=20191231

I don't have an issue around loans and credit cards, I have an issue with the modern day reliance on instant gratification and the availability of credit, it's completely acceptable nowadays to have £0 in the bank but to have no problem buying a £1000 phone on credit and to then spend your wages on interest repayments instead of savings.

EDIT:
    Ilona wrote: »
    Nothing wrong in buying something on credit, ha, what a laugh. That's the mentality of the 'got to have it now' brigade, only when you get on that band wagon, what you already have is never enough. The manufacturers know that, oooh, lets bring out a new model, there are lots of mugs out there who will fall for it, make plenty of money for us rich corporate people.

I keep posting before I see your response but we have the exact same views, are we even different people?! This is really making me question reality now.
    Know what you don't
  • System
    Community Admin
    Ilona wrote: »
    What a skewed outlook on life. Get credit when you might lose your job, become ill, have an accident which leaves you no longer able to work, marriage breakdown which is going to cost thousands when you split the home up and have kids to provide for until they are 18, and have no chance of paying it back.

Why not be sensible and live within your means. If you have a mortgage you have an asset which will in time increase in value. Mine I bought for £39,000, now paid off.

Cars depreciate so it's stupid to saddle yourself with a debt just because it looks nice and shiny. Buy a cheap runabout then save up for an upgrade in a year or two's time.

I do despair.
    ilona

erm we do live in a free democratic society that has decided to allow people to take out credit. So not skewed at all and is just a simple reflection that some of your fellow citizens freely choose to buy things in a different way to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure