I need help with universal credit claim - HRT (EEA national)

Comments

• If I ask my mum to write and sign a letter stating that she has been giving me money for rent, council tax, and sometimes money to live on, will this be sufficient evidence of her having supported me?

Unfortunately I can't prove that she's been giving me money because it was always cash, because I was worried that if she deposited it into my bank account it would complicate things further.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Felixstone wrote: »
    If I ask my mum to write and sign a letter stating that she has been giving me money for rent, council tax, and sometimes money to live on, will this be sufficient evidence of her having supported me?

Unfortunately I can't prove that she's been giving me money because it was always cash, because I was worried that if she deposited it into my bank account it would complicate things further.

I would have thought so.

More importantly - does your mum have a permanent right to reside?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Alice_Holt wrote: »
    I would have thought so.

More importantly - does your mum have a permanent right to reside?

Yes. And she has always worked while in this country. But they said that they checked her employment history and there were gaps, and therefore they don't consider her to have sufficient work history. But that is completely untrue, and I can't believe that her NI record doesn't show it. She has never worked cash in hand, it's always been taxed.

So in terms of proving her work history (in order to show that she's a qualified person), there's nothing I can do. If the NI record doesn't show it fully, I have no chance.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Yes. And she has always worked while in this country. But they said that they checked her employment history and there were gaps, and therefore they don't consider her to have sufficient work history. But that is completely untrue, and I can't believe that her NI record doesn't show it. She has never worked cash in hand, it's always been taxed.

So in terms of proving her work history (in order to show that she's a qualified person), there's nothing I can do. If the NI record doesn't show it fully, I have no chance.

I am confused by this, what did your actual letter state regarding why you failed the HRT? They are generic letters and don't go into that much detail.
  • tomtom256 wrote: »
    I am confused by this, what did your actual letter state regarding why you failed the HRT? They are generic letters and don't go into that much detail.

It was very longwinded and went on about this and that, but I think the gist of it is that they can't judge me based on my own status because I'm not a worker, jobseeker, self sufficient, student, or gainfully self employed (I don't earn much). I've been in this country a long time but I also have to be one of those things to qualify, and I don't.

So they decided to judge it based on me being a relative of an EEA national who is a qualified person.

But they said that I haven't provided a birth certificate to prove that my mum is my mum, and they seem to think that her work history is insufficient to make her a qualified person, which is untrue.

I emailed my local mp and she said that if I had permanent residence status or became a citizen, it would help a lot. But I am unable to do either.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As per earlier posts it should be possible for you to obtain a copy of your birth certificate (although there will undoubtedly be a cost involved).

It may be worth your mother requesting a copy of her NI record to see whether there are errors in it https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record. Bear in mind that even if mother was working she may not have been earning enough to pay NI or get NI credits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2019 at 11:46AM
    ..... I'm not a worker, jobseeker, self sufficient, student, or gainfully self employed (I don't earn much). I've been in this country a long time but I also have to be one of those things to qualify, and I don't.

So they decided to judge it based on me being a relative of an EEA national who is a qualified person.

But they said that I haven't provided a birth certificate to prove that my mum is my mum, and they seem to think that her work history is insufficient to make her a qualified person, which is untrue.

This is crucial information which would have been useful for us to have had at the onset of this thread.

It now becomes very clear what information you need to supply to the DWP / Tribunal Service:
    a) Copy of your birth certificate to prove the relationship with your mother;
    b) Proof of 5 years continuous working by your mother to show she has attained permanent R to R;
    c) Proof that your mother has been supporting you.

For b) Copies of P60's, P45's, wage slips, write to previous employers to get confirmation of employment dates, bank statements showing salary received, letters from colleagues, SAR to HMRC to get tax records, etc, etc. (See my earlier post 10).

If you wish to receive UC and pass the R t R test, then this is what you (and your mother) need to do.
    If it's too much bother to obtain a copy of your birth certificate and your mum's employment history - then the easiest way to pass the UC R t R test is to find yourself gainful employment.

Have you completed the SSCS1 form to lodge the appeal with the Tribunal Service (TS)?
    You can follow up with documentation / proof by submitting this to the TS, once the appeal is lodged.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • OhWow
    OhWow Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 January 2019 at 2:33PM

I came to the UK from Spain when I was 2 years old. I've been here for over 40 years.

Based on everything I've read, I believe I have permanent residence (correct me if I'm wrong).

Only if EU rules have been followed continuously for at least 5 years. We are only allowed to be in another EEA country for 3 months and after that we must follow EU rules of continuously being a "qualified person" to have a right to reside there.

As you are in your 40s, the easiest way is to just show any 5 years of you working full time continuously, to prove you have automatically obtained PR.
  • OhWow
    OhWow Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 January 2019 at 3:25PM
    calcotti wrote: »
    Bear in mind that even if mother was working she may not have been earning enough to pay NI or get NI credits.

Then she might have a problem as the EU says to work in another EEA country, the work must be "genuine and effective" and not "marginal or ancillary", for a right to reside in that EEA country. As a rough guide for that, the UK now uses whether they have earned enough each week to pay NICs. If they haven't, then they can still try to prove that their work was genuine and effective. What the rules were when she arrived, will be in the gov.uk link below.

Sometimes back then, if an EEA citizen said they were coming to the UK to work, they might have been stamped in with "ILR" (UK immigration rules) at the border. Or if they were in work, they could apply for ILR. That all ended in 2000. It might be worth his mother checking her old passports to see if it has an ILR stamp in the original passport she showed to enter the UK, or ask her if she applied and was granted ILR years ago. ILR expires if the holder has resided outside the UK for more than 2 years. I don't know how this would help the OP and he would need legal advice.

Failing that, the OP and his mother can use this Home Office document to see if they have both obtained the EU's PR and therefore a right to reside in the UK and claim UK benefits. PR is lost if they resdie outside the UK for more than 2 years.
    "This document explains how UK Visas and Immigration assesses if an European Economic Area (EEA) national is a qualified person."
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/european-economic-area-nationals-qualified-persons

If his mother holds a DCPR from UKVI and the letter that came with that showed she had PR when the OP was still a child, he can use that as part of a DCPR for himself and add the other relevant required documents.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-a-permanent-residence-document-or-permanent-residence-card-form-eea-pr

As somebody has already said, if he applies to UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) for a DCPR with his proof, and they agree he has PR, he can use his UKVI issued DCPR for UK benefits.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is your mother in receipt of state pension/other pension/benefits?

Are you living with your mother?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport