Vanguard Investors - Anyone Using It?

Hi,

Does anyone use Vanguard Investors? Any tips on how to maximise you're investments? I've spread some money into the life strategy 40,60,80 funds.

Thanks,
Javed
Save £12k in 2019 #154 - £14,826.60/£12k
Save £12k in 2020 #128 - £4,155.62/£10k

Comments

• Any particular reason for the three-way spread ?
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,490
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    webjaved wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone use Vanguard Investors? Any tips on how to maximise you're investments? I've spread some money into the life strategy 40,60,80 funds.

Thanks,
    Javed

If you have equal amounts in each of those funds you may as well have just put it all into the 60 fund because the average of 40, 60 and 80 is 60!
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've spread some money into the life strategy 40,60,80 funds.

And what objective did that achieve? Mixing and matching those funds is pointless.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • webjaved
    webjaved Posts: 618
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Alistair31 wrote: »
    Any particular reason for the three-way spread ?
    Bravepants wrote: »
    If you have equal amounts in each of those funds you may as well have just put it all into the 60 fund because the average of 40, 60 and 80 is 60!
    dunstonh wrote: »
    And what objective did that achieve? Mixing and matching those funds is pointless.

I've spread it out to see which Life Strategy fund would perform best. I'm new to this. I could transfer the funds from 40, 60 and stick into 80, or stick all my funds into 60?

I want to know if anyone else is using Vanguard Investors & what they've invested in, what to look out for etc.

Thanks
    Javed
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I've spread it out to see which Life Strategy fund would perform best. I'm new to this. I could transfer the funds from 40, 60 and stick into 80, or stick all my funds into 60?

I want to know if anyone else is using Vanguard Investors & what they've invested in, what to look out for etc.

Thanks
    Javed

What's the point of knowing which is going to perform best? If you compare after 1 year and decide that 40 is pants, 60 is excellent, and 80 is average, then you've spread your money around and have a part-pants, part-excellent, and part-average portfolio, so won't benefit from taking the time now to work out which is best for you.

You could just look at past performance if you want to compare - but that may not be too much actual help, because the circumstances in which these funds performed in the last 2 years will not be the same circumstances in the next 2 years, so performance will be different.

The point of the 20,40,60,80,100 funds is that you have 1 of them and it acts as a diversified portfolio incorporating either 20,40,60,80, or 100% in equities. Or you can have 2 of them if you feel that you want 30% equities, so you have both 20 and 40 to create a 30% average.

As a rule of thumb, your 40 will perform the best in a declining shares market (fewest equities), and your 80 will perform the best in a rising shares market (highest amount of equities).
  • dont_use_vistaprint
    dont_use_vistaprint Posts: 600
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 10 January 2019 at 7:29PM
    I was in Vanguard from about 2-yrs ago until very recently , VLS60 , diddnt make enough money so I switched it to P2P. The platform seems nice though and the telephone support are good, petty it doesn't have an App. If things change with S&S outlook I would probably re-invest again. Probably a bit unlucky re timing and brexit in my case but p2p is working much better for me right now
    "It is not the critic who counts..." - Theodore Roosevelt
  • webjaved
    Forumite
    Herbalus wrote: »
    What's the point of knowing which is going to perform best? If you compare after 1 year and decide that 40 is pants, 60 is excellent, and 80 is average, then you've spread your money around and have a part-pants, part-excellent, and part-average portfolio, so won't benefit from taking the time now to work out which is best for you.

You could just look at past performance if you want to compare - but that may not be too much actual help, because the circumstances in which these funds performed in the last 2 years will not be the same circumstances in the next 2 years, so performance will be different.

The point of the 20,40,60,80,100 funds is that you have 1 of them and it acts as a diversified portfolio incorporating either 20,40,60,80, or 100% in equities. Or you can have 2 of them if you feel that you want 30% equities, so you have both 20 and 40 to create a 30% average.

As a rule of thumb, your 40 will perform the best in a declining shares market (fewest equities), and your 80 will perform the best in a rising shares market (highest amount of equities).

So would you recommend splitting my funds so half is in 40 & half is in 80? I think I'll probably end up transferring the funds in 60 to 80 then and have my funds split in 40,80. A three way split thinking about it sounds excessive? Would that be a good move?
    I was in Vanguard from about 2-yrs ago until very recently , VLS60 , diddnt make enough money so I switched it to P2P. The platform seems nice though and the telephone support are good, petty it doesn't have an App. If things change with S&S outlook I would probably re-invest again. Probably a bit unlucky re timing and brexit in my case but p2p is working much better for me right now

Got any links on P2P? I guess Brexit is making the stock markets swing up & down. :P
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,490
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

Got any links on P2P? I guess Brexit is making the stock markets swing up & down. :P

Don't forget that Brexit may make for difficult trading conditions for some of those companies to whom you lend money!

You can't really "hide" money away from Brexit in P2P.

On the other hand a globally diversified equity fund would see Brexit as a blip.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • webjaved
    Forumite
    You can probably tell I'm a newbie at all this, the more experienced people that know more about S&S, what's the best resources to read?
    On the other hand a globally diversified equity fund would see Brexit as a blip.

Which equity fund would I be looking at then on Vanguard Investors?

Thanks for the patience with me. 👍
  • I would just pick one, 40, 60 or 80 and forget about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure