Please can you advise me re my dads mortgage

Options
Jools222
Jools222 Posts: 18 Forumite
Hi there,

My dad took out his mortgage with Abbey National in 1984 and it was paid off when my mum died in 2000 (it was an endowment mortgage and part of the plan was for it to get paid automatically when one of them died). He’s now 76 and struggling to cope with all the outgoings and he has asked me to look into whether he could claim anything back with regards mortgage ppi. He’s seen adverts for it and wondered whether it was worth looking at as he remembers being told he has payment protection insurance.

Please can you let me know if he could possibly be entitled to claim for anything as he’s an old fart and could do with a little extra to help him through.

Thanks in advance. Julie (and her dad)!!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He can't claim, but he can put in a complaint, if he did have it.

He will need to send in his complaint reasons and probably also provide evidence of the account and his payments, as it's unlikely the records still exist.

He'll need compelling reasons, as MPPI was generally a very good idea.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He almost didn't have PPI, it isn't sold on endowment policies. Taken out in 1984 it was almost certainly MIG which you cannot complain abut. It was possible he could have taken out a separate policy but early 80s it's unlikely.

The part that paid off the mortgage was life insurance.

Most MPPI is not miss-sold and given the time frame since the mortgage ended, it would almost certainly be time barred.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jools222 wrote: »
    He’s now 76 and struggling to cope with all the outgoings

Have you gone through his outgoings with him to check he's not overpaying on things like utilities, insurance, etc?

Is he entitled to any benefits?
  • Jools222
    Options
    The PPI was on the mortgage with the Abbey National solely. The endowment was with the CIS. Apologies for the confusion. He just wants to know if he can claim from the Abbey National as he definitely had PPI from the Abbey National.

Sorry all. Dad isn’t the clearest man when explaining. If there’s nothing he can do or isn’t entitled to claim then that’s fine. At least I can tell him one way or another. Thanks again.
  • Jools222
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Have you gone through his outgoings with him to check he's not overpaying on things like utilities, insurance, etc?

Is he entitled to any benefits?

Hi there. He’s a silly old sod and pays too much for stuff like Sky and BT. He hates change but we are slowly going through things.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If his weekly income is less than £163, he may be able to claim Pension Credit.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi there. He’s a silly old sod and pays too much for stuff like Sky and BT. He hates change but we are slowly going through things.

Can I suggest you check that BT are not charging him for renting a house phone. When I went through my mums bills a few years ago I was horrified she had been paying this for thirty years.
  • Jools222
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    Can I suggest you check that BT are not charging him for renting a house phone. When I went through my mums bills a few years ago I was horrified she had been paying this for thirty years.

Thanks very much. I will definitely do that. I know he pays over £100 for the Sky. He has so many extras which he doesn’t need. Thanks again. This really helps.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The PPI was on the mortgage with the Abbey National solely. The endowment was with the CIS. Apologies for the confusion. He just wants to know if he can claim from the Abbey National as he definitely had PPI from the Abbey National.

Sorry all. Dad isn’t the clearest man when explaining. If there’s nothing he can do or isn’t entitled to claim then that’s fine. At least I can tell him one way or another. Thanks again.

He can complain if he has evidence he had PPI and has valid miss-selling reasons that he can back up with evidence. What reasons is he going to provide 35 years after the sale though that could be evidenced?

As I said though, it will almost certainly be time barred as it's more than 6 years after the product was taken out and 3 years from having (or should have had) reasonable knowledge that he could complain about the product which would have been when he cancelled the policy when the mortgage was paid off.

It sounds like really you need to sort out his other financials like the Sky deal, phone deal etc (get them combined into one with the same number for example) and look at his insurance products as I bet he hasn't moved them around for more competitive deals.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1984 predates the building societies act. Back then, the building societies typically used local agents or had their own agency rather than their own product.

You seem to believe that MPPI existed. If so, how much per month was it? (trying to see whether MIG is being mixed up with PPI here - as is so often the case. MIG would have been added to the mortgage as a lump sum. MPPI was only monthly premium).

If the endowment was with CIS, then its possible, indeed probable, that the mortgage was sold by CIS. And in those cases, Abbey would not cross sell their own insurance range at point of sale. And CIS wouldnt sell Abbey products.

So, are you really sure he had MPPI? (and not MIG)
    And if you do have evidence of it, was it sold by CIS or Abbey National staff in branch?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure