PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style as an escape from the world?

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    GQ. Loving the skivers charter.....I think I need to print it out and get it framed......:rotfl:
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No is my favourite word.. noone ever expects anything of me, people stop asking after a while and if I can be bothered to do something it is a bonus and much appreciated.. I have the will, what I do not have is the time or the money. I'm a giver of toiletries to the school fairs/tombolas/various other waste of time activities.

When I bring home something new.. for example a new pair of curtains... I fill the packaging with stuff to leave so in my head I have useless stuff leaving and useful stuff coming in, in the same volume. if I get a huge bag with a tiny thing in it.. I fill the huge bag.. that is always very gratifying.

Freecycle is your friend.. use it.. to get rid, not gather more.. there is always someone else who will love that stuff as much as you do and have somewhere nice to display it rather than it being hidden away in your drawer of doom.

Banish sentimental attachment.. memories are in you head not in a piece of 'art' your child made at nursery 47 years ago.. or in a hideous ornament or anything else.. these things mean nothing to anyone else.

if you have not worn or used it in 12 months get rid.. (6 months for everyday stuff.. but you might not wear some items often.. but after a year they are probably totally out of date anyway)

I store my tins upside down.. the contents slop out so much more easily when the juice is at the top.. no more scratting around for that last spaghetti hoop or bean!

practice doing nothing.. just sitting.. I absolutely cannot do this.. I get irritable and fidgetty and itchy.. but sit, do nothing and relax and shrug off the day..

I am currently flinging out so much stuff it is beyond incredible.. I will have some level of order in this hovel.. I cannot stand cooking, housework or gardening.. and I refuse to do anything after the children are in bed.. 7:30pm cut off for anything remotely houseworky. That has been helpful.. it gives time to wind down before bed.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Options
    The skiver's charter is the work of a genius, GQ! You had me PMSL :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

My philosophy is even more simple, all arguments can be successfully managed with the one sentence: "God did not put me on this earth to [insert least favourite task]".
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • bagpuss38
    bagpuss38 Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pigpen storing tins upside down, why have I never thought of this genius idea!
    SIMPLY BE-££577.11:eek:
    Very BNPL - £353.00:o
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    VfM4 my youngest DD always said she was not born attached to an iron and has seen no reason to use one.Luckily her OH is very useful in that department as he is slightly OCD.Her uses lie elsewhere ;) she has had five children after all;)
    :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    I think a key point is to distinguish between "clutter" and "your actual stuff". Clutter to me is temporary, menial, domestic tedium; paperwork, washing & mending piles, presents waiting to be wrapped etc. This stuff shouldn't be in sight, depressing you. It's necessary, but it can be stored in one designated cupboard/drawer where you can retrieve it and deal with it one item at a time.

I personally don't mind doing housework as it's my main chance of listening to music (can't be bothered upgrading to a digital portable device), so I turn a chore into something with a positive side.

One thing I have learned is having a job you hate AND coming home to somewhere you don't feel relaxed and comfortable is a terrible, toxic combination. Seriously reconsider the role/employer if it's making you exhausted and miserable.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Options
    I personally don't mind doing housework as it's my main chance of listening to music (can't be bothered upgrading to a digital portable device), so I turn a chore into something with a positive side.
    Yes, but there are limits.

Sometimes the task is so monumental and equally boring it can only be chipped away with in small doses. I often find that catching up on WH gives me 40-45 minutes and helps me speed up too. Getting starter is the main barrier, but from then on, Newton's first law of motion applies.

Human inertia is a powerful force after all ;)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    GQ. Loving the skivers charter.....I think I need to print it out and get it framed......:rotfl:
    :p Enjoy, enjoy.

Life is short, and the really great thing about not being a kid any more is that you can eat your dessert before/ instead of your main course and NO ONE CAN STOP YOU, mwah ha ha!

I regard life as a constant quest to cut out as much of the boring (boring to me - all things are subjective) bits to have the maximum amount of time to spend on what interests/ amuses/ entertains me.

It's amazing how you can cut corners in ways which many people will not even notice, and free up countless hours of bliss to do your own thing. Sometimes, you might wanna keep schtumn about some of these timesavers, as people can get a bit supercilious. Or downright jealous if they see someone else bunking off to play in the park when they could be doing something worthy like licking their skirting boards clean/ cutting the lawn with nail scissors/ fretting about cooking the latest recipe incorporating pan-fried chia seeds and houmous cous-cous enchilada lah-de-das.

:D I once presented a friend with a homemade birthday cake. Well, it was homemade by one of the church bazaar ladies and collided with some water icing and sprinkles whilst briefly in my custody. I think he might have accidentally been left with the impression it was all the work of my own fair hands.............:rotfl:

The Skiver's Charter continued.......

9. You can kondo if you like, but I ain't rolling knicks, I just chuck 'em in a basket. Ditto socks. Which are paired in balls, even if that makes them stressed and unhappy, according to MK. Rather them suffer that fate than me, which is what would happen if I couldn't find their mate.

10. If you can't pronounce it without effort, you've no business eating it. We're British - embrace the pies, you know it makes sense.

11. If it can't go in a washing machine at 40 c and drip dry, why are you even considering owning it?

12. Bed-making has been scientifically proven to be unhygenic. The covers should be thrown back at all times to allow the air to freshen the bed. OK, so it looks untidy, so shut the bedroom door. Only ladies of negotiable affection and 18th century french aristocrats need to receive guests in their bedrooms.

13. You could embrace a raw food diet and pretend to be a fashionable, health-conscious type. No one needs to hear your inner voice going; Yippee!! No saucepans to wash up, or stovetops or ovens to clean EVER AGAIN- I'm winning!

14. No household should have more than one mug, glass, plate, bowl or set of eating irons per permanant resident in circulation at any one time. Keep spares or guest items under lock and key. If your spouses or sprogs cannot eat because they've left their crocks under their beds growing penicillin, that's their problem not yours. I know a woman who did this and it worked really well.

15. You can cheat on your homework by not reading your book group book choice. Blag it and lie like an old rug. Or divorce your book group, I've consciously uncoupled from mine and feel great.

16. If someone is trying to manipulate you into doing something you don't want to do, smile sweetly and declare; I'd rather have a root canal filling than do XXXXX. They'll get the picture, trust me.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Options
    Ladies of negotiable affection......:rotfl::rotfl:

Can I steal that one please. Brilliant.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GC thank you, you've just made me spray my keyboard with wine belly laughing :rotfl::rotfl:(and as my top is going the wash tonight I've used the sleeve to wipe it.....)

My add to your list would be "if your dust is distressing you, take your specs off";)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure