PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Kittie I always read my kindle in bed as it is much lighter than a book. Sometimes I fall asleep and am wakened when it thumps on the floor. :D
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I wrote a long post this morning and then lost it. Still not got my laptop returned after it crashed when on the TSB website seemingly it did more damage to the inside than first thought.
    Am redesigning my front garden to get it easier to look after and the 'mums are ready to go in but not the dahlias yet. Have loads of new herbaceous plants to move once the daffs are over.
    Getting ready to downsize in 5years or less when OH will be 80 !
    He is still too keen on gardening tho not so fit .
    I was told to look up the exercises for my knee hip and back online. They don't refer you for physio up here as there is too long a wait so looking at most of the exercises they looked mighty like digging the garden so that is what I did. But very slow and easy bits to begin with. Lovely and warm here hope you all are enjoying the May weekend
    ps went shopping in Aberdeen to day looking for 1 item a dark purple camisole and I think I was in every shop. No luck was thinking of buying some dye when I remember kettlewell colours and they had one so I have joined the happy band of looking round the shops buying nothing then buying online.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Evening all.

Back from the lottie this evening and have deposited some freshly-washed and dried plastic bottles into the recycling bank and thumped around with digging fork and mattock.

Had a fun few hours in the juntique shop, playing with various things. Squinted at one piece in a box which may or may not have been gen-u-whine jewellery and brandished it as the pal.

It's mother-of-plastic, he joked. This is somewhat akin to mother-of-pearl but less valuable, apparently.:rotfl:I also peered at some possibly-amethyst whilst remembering a tip from a jeweller - if it has tiny bubbles in it under the magnifier, it's glass not gem.

There's a surprisingly lively market for costume jewellery, if the price is right (low). The hipsters are particularly fond of it.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    I have finally reached the end of trying to sell the stuff that was removed from the in-laws.

Unfortunately the remaining things are worth money - but only to someone who wants them. They mostly don't have general appeal. I have tried Facebook, Ebay, boot sales, but 2 boxes of stuff remain.

The rest is going on freecycle. A man came yesterday to collect the glass, and a lady is coming today for the jigsaw. I will put one thing up at a time to try and minimise the number to too-ing and fro-ing at the house.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    WeeMidgie wrote: »

Unbelievably, the solicitors' account details were sent to me by email. :eek: :eek: Of course, I phoned the office to make sure they were kosher, checked over the phone digit by digit.

I'm glad you did check. A friend of mine was defrauded out of all her money when hackers managed to catch the email and change the bank details. She basically transferred all the money to the crooks and they may never get it back.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    maryb wrote: »
    I am undecided about whether recycling or incineration is a better choice in terms of complete lifecycle. It starts as oil so burning plastic is effectively burning oil. Recycling sounds good but from what I can gather it can't currently be REcycled, it's DOWNcycled as lower grade plastic and much of it ends up in synthetic fibres which are polluting the oceans with microplastics and from there getting into the food chain:eek: I think incineration with appropriate filters to ensure dioxins aren't released into the atmosphere might be preferable to contaminating our food with endocrine disrupting chemicals

But it seems to me the only indisputably environmentally sound approach is to use less stuff generally
    This was from ages ago, sorry, I've been away ... in the Stone Age, I worked in the export department of a big packaging factory, and when I toured it as I joined, I remember seeing a machine that used plastic blobs (which presumably could be made from recycled plastic, though I have no scientific basis for that presumption :p) being used to make a clingfilm-type wrap. I've always thought more could be done like that.

There's lots going on otherwise too! Happy to see the continuing tales from all over, though mine has mostly paused. One new acquisition is a really sore throat :( with attendant tiredness, so I can't do much. The only thing has been to look at the foot-high stack of genealogy papers from my mum's house - preliminary sorting done while watching tv last night, that was something. Right now, its a victory just to catch up on the washing :o
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sounds as if everyone is doing well both indoors and outdoors - I've just spent two days away with friends enjoying the weather and being glad that I didn't have to think about the garden. I've been trying to do 30 mins a day just to keep on top, but I am out all day tomorrow. Too hot for me anyway unless it's early or late in the day.

GQ did you mention builders' bags above? Great as 'raised beds' for growing potatoes or similar; or fill one with compost, let it rot down and next year plant your squash or pumpkin in there.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,966 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 May 2018 at 8:30PM
    Karmacat wrote: »
    This was from ages ago, sorry, I've been away ... in the Stone Age, I worked in the export department of a big packaging factory, and when I toured it as I joined, I remember seeing a machine that used plastic blobs (which presumably could be made from recycled plastic, though I have no scientific basis for that presumption :p) being used to make a clingfilm-type wrap. I've always thought more could be done like that.

Karma unless things have changed massively in the past 10-15 years, that was unlikely to be recycled plastic. My darling Dad used to work for a company that made things like plastic bottles and housewares. They used to have lots of scrap plastic from when the machine runs first started and things come out the wrong shape whilst everything warmed up and adjustments were made. This plastic was listed on the books at the original cost value. They tried making things like thin plastic flower pots out of it, but it didn't work too well as it had been contaminated with grit and bits off the floor when it was cleared off the machinery when the machines first started up. Anyway they eventually worked out that making black plastic dustbins was the way to go - everything could be dyed black and it didn't matter if there was contamination in the plastic as the mouldings were so thick.

I would think that it's unlikely even now that recycled plastics are used for high grade thin stuff as similar issues would occur.

Unless someone knows differently of course.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I read recently that Ecover and Method have been sold to the US company that makes Glade and Airwick. When I saw the new packaging in store recently I was suspicious because old Ecover always had cloudy plastic bottles which apparently was because they used at least 50% recycled plastic. The new bottles are completely clear. However according to the label they are made from 100% recycled plastic Technology must be evolving
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks slinky, thanks maryb - I agree plastic tech must be evolving, but I bet slinky's right about what I actually saw - um, it was longer ago than 10-15 years :o in fact it was in the very late 1970s :p

The most I can do is more composting, and burning more of my own woody garden rubbish. But plastic seems inevitable - my feta cheese, my dried peas and beans, my toilet paper, my cleaning products, they're all packed in plastic :(
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport