We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    So glad for you that it's happening with the house, at last, choille!:beer::T:A:cool:

Still grumpy here, but at least the radiators that went in yesterday seem to be in the right places......

We are deliberately winding the kitchen company up now, by not responding to their urgent email yesterday, nor returning the contract, till we get more info about their price. It won't end in tears, I'm sure, but I agree with you choille, shoulda gone to Howdens! :(

Rosemoor was nice, but I did do a bit of weeding for them in the kitchen garden. :rotfl:

Went out for a meal last night to a well-recommended hostelry, which was very quiet when we arrived. Then, just after we'd asked to eat, a whole party of blokes arrived and took all the tables, which we'd not noticed were reserved. We were given a table hurriedly set up dead centre in the room, like a Swindon roundabout.

The blokes were loud, but well-behaved and their pre-ordered meal arrived first. We were still waiting, 75minutes after sitting down, at which point I knew it was another 'dreckly' situation!
    We got the meal after exactly 90 minutes. It was good and more than anyone could eat, but as I'd gone all day on a pitta bread and a couple of prawn sandwiches, I wasn't pleased. :mad:

Why can't people just say "No, sorry, can't do it" around here? We could have got to any one of half a dozen decent pubs in 15 minutes from there. That's a Trip Advisor fairly unblemished record which is going to take a kicking.....:p

Miserable s o d just now. :o Sorry! :rotfl:
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well the loo that ex plumber was throwing a temper at - damaged the top of the cistern covering- is continuously running, so I've phoned up the supplier & they've kindly sent out a new inlet valve- I don't know if that's what it is wrong with it - suspect plumber actually damaged something. So hopefully that will solve that.

Dave hope you get somewhere with kitchen co = it is a load of nonsense not giving out the prices - they just want the whole job - don't want you going cheaper for other bits - like cooker hoods, taps etc. I think trading standards should stop that practice.

Lovely & sunny here - clear blue sky even. Still shovelling out the caravan for BIL. Hairy cat brought in to shrews this morning. Don't know how he'll deal with the pressies as he's veggie & a bit.......squeamish!
  • Davesnave
    We've finally screwed all the data ot of the kitchen co. It's nothing dramatic, now everything's revealed, so why they didn't give it willingly is a mystery. :undecided

OK they charge more for fitting than another company in the same town, but they have also got us a very good deal on appliances, which cancels that out.

All in all, it's going to come in like a top end Howden's job, but without any of Howdens notorious appliances. ;):eek:
  • choille
    Sounds like the jobs sorted as you say.

Will you go for tiles or splash backs?

Must get on - I'm lazing - must be the shower - water on the brain.....
  • Davesnave
    We have paid £600 for glass splashbacks in cooker & main prep areas to match wood panelling colour in the dining bit of the room.....:o:o:o

Upstands elsewhere.
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    We have paid £600 for glass splashbacks in cooker & main prep areas to match wood panelling colour in the dining bit of the room.....:o:o:o

Upstands elsewhere.

Oh Dave I'm too late :eek: I was thinking I could have done you a deal ;) seeing as I'm still just starting out I'm after a few [STRIKE]guinea pigs[/STRIKE] I mean thrifty bargain seeking volunteers to let me make a splash back at cost price, to build up my portfolio.

I've got lots of samples and a few full size splash backs made up but nothing like showing the real thing in a paying customers kitchen...plus the excellent references I'll have :rotfl:

Choille So glad to see your progress, I watch a lot of the self build progs on TV and some of them think they're hard done by seeing through one winter. What wimps, compared to you, you've got real stamina and commitment :T Then they say they've fallen out of love with the place and won't want to live there, or the woman bu gge€$ off and leaves the poor bloke to do everything, as if that's going to help! Honestly :mad:

I've been working in my studio extension (I've taken over half the garage as well as the old workshop!) and putting in left over kitchen units and shelves, and basically using up all the carp we have been saving up in case they come in handy. Guess what, it does come in handy eventually :T I know I'm preaching to the converted here ;)

I've been doing boring indoors stuff this morning, waiting for the rain that should have been here hours ago, I didn't want to start anything I couldn't finish but annoyingly it's only just getting more overcast now, oh well. It looked worse for the South, esp for you Dave but I think we'll get it here eventually.

Right better go, can see smoke signals coming from hubbys bonfire, need to take a few more bits out before it really does pee on his bonfire !
  • choille
    FK - good to hear from you.

I posted a wee while ago asking if you ring your Hebredians or not & when you dispatch them?

Your splash backs are a really goo idea - hope you do well with them.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Fay wrote: »
    Oh Choille what an achievement! So pleased for you. Your kitchen also sounds divine! You deserve it so much.

I agree with all of this.

Kind of hoping we get a sneak peek at the kitchen, but can understand why we might not, But it does sound very gorgeous, and very choille. its lovely to feel so happy for someone, isn't it?

I also cannot wait for your bath choille. I almost feel it will be like choille day, and we should ALL bath. ( probably just as well you have the shower first, get that good hair wash and used to water on tap, before having the luxury of a soaky, relaxing bath. I hope you have something scented to put in it.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Afternoon all,

Well no rain here at mo, but very overcast and humid...

Just had a LOAD of sand and cement delivered ready for the builder to do the floor next week, need to finish digging out the old ash underfloor etc.

Choille I bet that was the best shower you ever had, I bet it felt wonderfull !!!!

Next week I will be going back to ebaying for our main income... With the tumoile that is happening in our trade at the moment, and markets crashing due to fly by nights, and change in the global markets. It is totally unviable to carry one...so scary times ahead...
    This will also ( fingers crossed) give us the time to start concentrating on the small business venture on the smallholding...

Luceille I don't envy you will all that washing lol

Hope everyone is OK..

Catch you all laters
    Work to live= not live to work
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 13 August 2015 at 6:04PM
    We have paid £600 for glass splashbacks

:eek: How much! The is MSE, not Country Life:D

I was snooting in the bargain-bin at Dobbies today, picked up 3 zonal pelargoniums for 50p each, bromeliads for £2 down from £10 and a large but 'over' astilbe at 50% off.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback