Jazee's Diary

Comments

• Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ok, so dreaded MOT went ok, cost less than I budgeted for, so am pleased with that.

With a bit of juggling, my 'overspend' in the budget this month is now down to £72 from £100. I am still determined not to use the savings, even though that's what it's for!

Oh and a first for me, I used a self service till in the supermarket. Thought it would save time as I don't buy alcohol now, but still we had to wait for the assistant to check we were over 25 before we could buy the non-alcoholic beer.

Going to log off soon, but when I have a bit more time, will list my plans, short and long term.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Jazee
    Plans:

Short term, have to be done, find money for:

DDs birthday
    Book rail tickets for DDs graduation
    Save money for car servicing, due in 4500 miles

Medium term, to do when money is available:

Get eyes checked and new glasses
    Have hair cut
    Try to clear debt sooner than March 2015

Long term:

Save for a deposit for a mortgage

Have done some more juggling with the budget this morning and with the savings I'm making on groceries, overspend this month now down to £22 but I think I will recover that too. Who knows, I may even be able to save something!

Readers of flylady will know that I've been posting updates on DH giving up drink. Well its been seven weeks today and two other positives to note are:

He's less gassy (probably TMI)
    He has lost over a stone in weight

Can't tell you how please and proud I am.

Hoping today will finally be a NSD. Catch you later.
  • Jazee
    So today has not been a NSD as I have ordered a rug which is an essential for when we get the new floor down, if we're not going to destroy it with the table and chairs.

Used savings, but amazingly I didn't mind spending them on the rug, but still trying to avoid spending them on anything else! Even I don't understand me.
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,423 Forumite
    Jazee wrote: »

Short term, have to be done, find money for:
    Book rail tickets for DDs graduation

I presume that you will be going to the graduation before the fares hike announced today takes effect!
    Do start researching the best route and train times asap and buy your tickets *early*. It really can make a big difference. ;)

Jazee wrote: »
    Readers of flylady will know that I've been posting updates on DH giving up drink. Well its been seven weeks today and two other positives to note are:

He's less gassy (probably TMI)
    He has lost over a stone in weight

Can't tell you how please and proud I am.

Really pleased for you both.:j
  • Jazee
    Thanks for the rail advice Ionafan. I will take a look, graduation is in October.

I've been thinking about why I didn't mind spending savings on the rug and have decided its because I will have something nice to show for it. With the floor fitting, well I already have paid for the floor so the fitting doesn't really give me anything else, and the MOT, well my car drove all right before and drives alright now, so again, nothing except a piece of paper to show for it.

But I can look at the rug, and say look what I saved up for (even though I saved up initially for the other things too).

A frustrating day yesterday waiting in for the rescheduled gas man who didn't arrive. I will phone later to find out why, apparently DH says I'm not to get mad as he may have died on route. Likely story!

Anyway, today will not be a NSD as I have a few fresh essentials to buy and DH and I are having our one night out a week tonight.
  • Jazee
    Grocery spends today came to £8.04, I've updated my siggie with the total amount and the coppers which went in the pot (my replacement for £1 a day pot).

The rug I ordered yesterday is not in stock so back to the drawing board on that one.
  • Jazee
    Well not a lot has happened over the last couple of days, the usual paid stuff and routine, but the gas man did finally arrive to do the service on Thursday, and I had a lovely meal out with DH on Thursday evening. We spent slightly less than budget so currently overspend is at £21. If I keep to a £60 shop today, that should be £0.

And as I lay in bed last night I realised that yesterday had been a NSD so have updated my siggy.

Waste this week has been one naan bread which seemed a bit iffy when I took it out of the pack. I was going to do jacket spuds tonight for tea but am now making homemade vegetable soup with this weeks leftover veg. Feeling very MSE!
  • Jazee
    Back from lovely dog walk (didn't get wet today) and have done the weekly shop which came in at £50.49. Just done a recalculation of monthly budget and 'overspend' is currently at £9. However, I still have cash in my purse which should cover this week's fresh essentials so that should soon be £0.

This diary is really keeping me focussed. Just realised that Wednesday was actually a NSD as the rug was out of stock so will update siggy now.
  • Jazee
    I'm going to try to persuade DH that we should go out somewhere today for a picnic. It's his only day off this week and he'll probably just want to laze at home but I spend nearly all my time here, so fancy a change of scenery.

Also, I thought I was being very MSE earlier in the year when I was quite easily persuaded to get a yearly pass for NT. However, we've only used it once so far (twice if you count the day we got it), so very expensive. So if we go out today, at least that will be three times. Never again will I be so easily distracted from my debt free mission.

Only spends today should be petrol (and some bits for the picnic if we go).
  • Jazee
    Couldn't persuade DH to go out, so went to shops to get bread and pick up a paper to read instead. Now, he's thinking he may change his mind! Men!!

Anyway, picked up £5 lottery winnings and used that to pay, but have still listed it under GC spends. Having seen the £2 pot challenge on the forums earlier, have decided to add any rare £2 coins I get to my coppers pot to give it the occasional boost. Had one in my change from the £5 today.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure