Sort of debt-free but hope to be a super-scrimper in 2019

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 20 January 2019 at 1:06AM
    Thank you, everyone, who has commented on and offered advice on the shed-clearing situation. Much appreciated:beer:

I feel bad that I appear to have painted OH as a bit of an unfeeling ogre:o. He can be curmudgeonly but is kind hearted in his own way and knows better than to try to browbeat me. I might be small and very patient but I fight my corner;)

I often help him with lifting and carrying things, I'm very strong for my size and he wouldn't ask me and I wouldn't do it if it was likely to be too much for me. In this case it's the cold that I'm objecting to more than anything but also I'm cross that he let things get to this stage by storing so much useless junk:mad:. He maintains it's all useful and we'll never agree about that:(

He has tried everything to be able to use his left hand and has managed to drive although I don't feel he should. When I fractured my wrist many years ago I was advised not to drive because the wrist support that I had to wear meant I didn't have full control of the vehicle and my motor insurance would be nullified in case of an accident:eek:

He has a sort of plastic splint to keep his thumb rigid and then tight strapping/bandage to keep his thumb and his adjacent fingers bound together. It's getting rather grubby, despite his best efforts but he's been told not to remove it yet. I haven't described it too well but the result is that he has very little flexibility of his hand currently apart from the ends of his fingers. The GP's Practice Nurse is supposed to be re-dressing it on Monday and I expect he'll be pestering her to leave it off altogether. She's a real tartar though so I don't fancy his chances. In the meantime he can't get a glove on but I've given him an old sheepskin mitten I no longer wear which he says is about as flexible as a boxing glove:rotfl:. He has to put a poly bag over the bandage when he has a shower.

He went into our small local town this afternoon with a friend (who drove:T). When he arrived home he apologised for being so bad-tempered recently and making such a fuss about the shed. He also said I was right about his asking (and paying) the handyman to help with the shed clearing:j:j:j. Then the funny bit, to me anyway. He said he wanted to treat me for putting up with him:rotfl:. He didn't know what to buy, happened to spot something by accident that I'd like and said it was in the carrier bag if I'd care to get it out. I don't know what I expected but all that was in there was a football-sized cauliflower:rotfl:. I must have looked surprised because he said he knows how much I like cauliflower and that he's sorry for letting me down every year by never having any success in growing them. Yes, I love cauliflower but guess who else does, has a bigger appetite than me and will be eating the lion's share of it?;)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,445
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    :rotfl::rotfl:Cauliflower?!! Not normally what you would come up with for a treat

Another politics fan here. I visited Houses of Parliament a few years back and did the House of Commons and House of Lords tour. Really interesting and nice to see inside the chambers where all the speeches we see on TV are made. I agree Cameron was a good speaker and seemed to be able to respond effortlessly in PM questions. I have tuned out a bit though with the whole Brexit debacle. I think we need an Obama but cannot see one among our politicians. I loved West Wing too. Best speech was definitely Jed in the Cathedral. Such a moving episode.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Well a cauliflower is a flower so I think it was lovely of your OH to bring you flowers. Made me laugh though!
    Sally x
    Tilly Tidying and
    PADing in 2024 £250.62
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________

RIP Mum & Dad - thanks for helping me on my journey to be
    Debt and Mortgage free from 2018

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,094
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Cauliflower :rotfl: At least it's a healthy treat not chocs.

Mr SA's shed is a tip and I keep on at him to clear it, apparently it's on his to do list (of things that never get done). I won't hold my breath.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £227.29/£600 March NSD:9 March Surveys £
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    That's such a great story about your OH, CBC :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,805
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Cauliflower :eek:
    Oh well at least he thought about you!!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • I love cauliflower too - but not quite what you might have expected (or perhaps exactly the sort of thing you'd expect !
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You can freeze cauliflower cheese in individual portions, as it IS yours !
  • I love the stories about your husband. You have a talent for storytelling.

Redo has stories about her cats that are equally compelling to me.

Honestly, both read like short stories.

Have a good day and enjoy your cauliflower :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Cauliflower :rotfl: At least it's a healthy treat not chocs.

Mr SA's shed is a tip and I keep on at him to clear it, apparently it's on his to do list (of things that never get done). I won't hold my breath.

Yes, what is it with men and their sheds?:rotfl:
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: at your cauli tale! Especially as OH really likes cauli too!

But he may be on to something - a rather trendy, upmarket local restaurant has a plant/flower trough outside and guess what's one of the things planted in it.............?:D
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts