How do you prove the owner of car

Hi all
This is my first ever post - been reading loads of things last couple.of days and some say one thing and another something else can anyone help.
My parents bought me a little car to help me get to work for me and my son, we all went to the garage.. My name and address is on the v5, car is with me I insure the car, pay for payments towards services etc..my dad is a named driver on my insurance .. But my parents paid for the car, they will have it on their bank statements. Now my problem is that I am currently I'm the process of going bankrupt, I have £300 left to pay - will they take my car? When I have checked on we buy site it said it was worth £4,500 but I did not pay any of the money to purchase the car.
Can anyone help?
Totally scared about this whole process
Thanks
cannot wait until this hell is over with :o:o

Comments

• Who has their name on the invoice? That tends to be the best evidence.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In the absence of an invoice from the garage, which is the best proof, your next best option is a copy of your parents bank statement showing they paid for the car, and a copy of yours showing that you insured the car at the same time it was purchased. The only question then is whether your parents gave you the car as a gift. I would suggest that you parents write a letter confirming that they are loaning you the car indefinitely, that they expect it to be insured at all times, and that they expect you to pay to insure your dad as a named driver on your policy at all times, and that you are responsible for maintaining it correctly. If they date this letter as of the day after they purchased the car, this should clarify the basis on which you use the car.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Dory2k
    Dory2k Posts: 11 Forumite
    Thank you for your replies .. it's the one thing ( well that and the lack of money to pay the rest of the bankruptcy��) that's holding this all up so scared they will take the car when I didn't pay for it think I will get my parents to write a letter like you suggest and get their bank statement also .. just wish this was all over with
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your parents should also state in their letter they require you to inform the DVLA that you are the registered keeper, pay any road fund license due, and inform the DLVA if you move. All of these stipulations are reasonable if you are being loaned the car, and unreasonable if you have been given it as a gift.

Make sure both parents are aware of what the letter says, even if only one of them signs it.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Dory2k wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies .. it's the one thing ( well that and the lack of money to pay the rest of the bankruptcy��) that's holding this all up so scared they will take the car when I didn't pay for it think I will get my parents to write a letter like you suggest and get their bank statement also .. just wish this was all over with
    Just so you’re clear, backdating a letter and passing it off as being front that date is fraud.

Will you get caught? Who can tell, but is that the road that you want to go down?
  • broaps
    broaps Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Just so you’re clear, backdating a letter and passing it off as being front that date is fraud.

Will you get caught? Who can tell, but is that the road that you want to go down?

Surely Dory2K would only be asking her parents to put into writing the verbal agreement that they had when the car was bought. Hardly fraud.
  • Mouse007
    Mouse007 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Just so you’re clear, backdating a letter and passing it off as being [STRIKE]front[/STRIKE] from that date is fraud.

Agree totally, better that they write a letter of today's date, in light of your potential BR news, reminding you of the agreement. But if that is also untrue it would also be fraud. Tread carefully, and chose your words even more carefully. Car loan or Gift ?

BBC WatchDog “if you are struggling with an unfair parking charge do get in touch”

Please email your PCN story to watchdog@bbc.co.uk they want to hear about it.
    Please then tell us here that you have done so.

• Dory2k
    Hi yes I would ask my parents to write a letter dated the day I click submit! to explain that they purchased the car to allow me access to it, for me to tax, insure and maintain it also my dad is a named driver of the car if he needs to use it , I will also get the bank statement which will prove the purchase I also have the card receipt which shows my parents bank details
    Thanks for your replies
    Literally had heart failure at the thought of it looking like fraud I am in such a panic the slightest thing has me up a height about it all
  • broaps wrote: »
    Surely Dory2K would only be asking her parents to put into writing the verbal agreement that they had when the car was bought. Hardly fraud.
    Yes, it’s precisely fraud.

Come on, it’s not complicated. The right way to do this is to have them write a letter now, correctly dated, explaining the situation truthfully.

Pretending that you have a letter written at the time is absolutely clearly fraud; it is lying to gain an advantage.
  • Dory2k
    John G Jones
    Thanks for your reply.. just to clarify I would not do that.. I will be getting my parents to write the letter from the day I declare bankruptcy not when the car was bought
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport