Car insurance hike - moving house

Options
I moved house in March 2018, temporarily, to my parents house after we had sold ours. Car insurance database reported more crimes (more affluent area) therefore my insurance increased by £40.
I moved out of my parents house into my own in October 2018 (400m away from my original house). Again, car insurance database showed more crimes in this area and car insurance went up again £60.

Is there anyway of asking to see where car insurance companies get their statistics from? It just feels like it’s an excuse to get more money out of their customers and I felt a bit trapped because you have to have car insurance.

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    Options
    No is the short answer. The insurer has no obligation to share with you either their rating algorithm or the data on which the rating is then set.

Most likely included within both of those additional premiums were admin fees for doing those changes, if there were any fees these will be outlined in the wording you signed up to when you took out the policy.

You can consider if it's cheaper to cancel and move insurer mid term, but you'll need to factor in any cancellation fees and also you won't earn this years NCD year if the policy is cancelled mid term.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure