Welcome Finance/Coast

Hi,

Around 12/13 years ago my wife and I were looking to take out a non secure loan via welcome finance for £5000. However when we got the paperwork I noticed they had doubled the amount of years it was for and it showed a total amount due of over 12k although monthly was the same.

Back then they had a local office we went straight in and were told that they would sort the paperwork and it was an error by the salesmen, We took the loan and I paid the payments over the agreed period and that was that. Not heard a peep from them since and that was around 9/10 years ago.

Today I got a letter from Coast Finance saying I had a mortgage with them for over 12k the amount orignally on my loan paperwork! and it had never had a payment. not threatening any action, Just an Annual statement. After doing some research I found out this was a debt bought from welcome finance!!!!!
it says opening balance £0, payments due £0, debit £0, credit £0, Balance £12433.39!!!
£0 added for late missed payments, etc

I quickly checked the land registry and I only have 1 mortgage.charge against our home and nothing about any other debt charge.

My questions are this.
1/ If its not showing on the land registry does that mean 100% there is not a secured debt/charge against it? if there was it would be on there.

2/ best course of action to go back to coast finance with to put this to bed.

3/ Should I go to the police?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Go back to them with the information you've given here to clarify the situation.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why involve the police, they will only tell you to resolve it.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    stat barred I would go back with
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Thanks . My main worry is around the part where they recon this is a secured loan and this question. I want to be fully educated on this before i go at them.

1/ If its not showing on the land registry does that mean 100% there is not a secured debt/charge against it? if there was it would be on there?

Also what’s Stat barred?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport