Heat Logs, Bricks, Briquettes 2018

Options
MrWebDesign
MrWebDesign Posts: 23 Forumite
Just wanted to get the views and thoughts of the supermarkets and similar stores offerings this winter. On the weekend I stocked up with some KINGS Heat logs from Home Bargains for £2.99 for a pack of 6.

My view on these are they seem similar to the Aldi heat logs sold last winter, the six logs in a pack are too big for my burner so half a log goes on and lasts for a good 90mins before going to a small glowing ember. Note these leave a mound of grey sand type ash and one other thing I’ve found is they don’t like to be one of the first logs on...they are more of a feeder log once the fire is already very hot and established. If you put them on too early they smoke terribly, blacken the glass slightly and can give off like a sap. If the fire is piping hot they are perfectly fine and burn completely different.

I’m interested in other experiences of what’s on offer at the Aldi, Lidl and other supermarkets this winter and in particular your own experiences in burning with them.

Comments

• smallblueplanet
    Options
    Seems a reasonable price, now that Verdo appear to have disappeared!?

Can't see Kings Heat logs listed online for HB, but B&M are listing Blazers Fuel Logs £3.99 (approx. 10kg) - has anyone tried them?
  • Skulls
    Skulls Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've use the HB heatlogs and they leave a lot of ash. The Blazers from B&M are a much better heatlog, a lot hotter and virtually no ash.The Blazers are a £1 dearer but I think they are worth the extra cost.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 25 December 2018 at 2:54PM
    Options
    Got a few of the "logs" from Lidl - Made from recycled wood, and I've found all sorts in there. Bits of foam, plywood chips complete with paint... They burn well, but do smoke up the glass.

The logs from B&M feel much denser and burn better in my stove - Quite a bit harder to break in half compared to the Aldi offerings. Made from sawdust, it is difficult to tell if they are made from contaminated timber, but it looks like virgin wood is used.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 December 2018 at 3:02PM
    Options
    I have used Verdo for a few years now but like all wood briquettes and wood its gone up a lot in recent years far more than inflation. Definitely not economical these days if you have to buy in.

When I first started 9 years ago I could get a full transit pick-up truck of seasoned logs for £110 delivered.

I tend to buy off season when they are cheaper. I use to pay £200 but last time it was £280 for a full load and thats cheap compared with what they would charge if you can get Verdo.

I buy wood briquettes because you get more heat last longer and take up a lot less space. Only downside is the storage needs to be dry otherwise they spoil and fall apart if water gets any where near then. It can be stored somewhere where its damp say inside wall of a garage as long as it doesn't touch the wall.

I noticed there doing a new product Heatabix in Jan made from recycled wood.
  • Tyna
    Tyna Posts: 6 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Since Verdos are no more I have started to burn Hotties. I only buy them when they have an offer on, as standard price is an eye watering £449 a pallet. However I have just discovered Fox's Blox. They are not quite as good as the Hotties but at £240 for a full pallet including delivery they are well worth a punt (96 packs, 12 blocks to a pack). They are a RUF style brick but unlike some RUF bricks they are compressed to a very high level so expansion on burning is minimal. They light easy and last a long time. In storage they do produce more waste as bits do seem to flake off, again for the price I can live with that.
    I tend to use a combination of wood, Hotties and Fox.
    I have no connection to this company.
    As a first time poster I cannot provide a link to Fox Timber
  • smallblueplanet
    Options
    Tyna wrote: »
    I have no connection to this company.
    As a first time poster I cannot provide a link to Fox Timber

https://www.foxtimber.co.uk/fox-blox-briquettes/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories