Get a grip !

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well done on sorting the fridge and also all the great dog walking. I still cant believe that you spend only £50 in a month on fun.

I seem to spend that every weekend when I meet up with friends. Right from now on I am going to stop meeting for meals which end up costing me too much. It is a waste of money. I always say this and then end up spending on the same things. Now is the right time to change.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Hi SW. Some of my friends are in a similar situation to me with not much money so we tend to go for cheaper pubs with deals like 2 for £8.99 or toby carvery where you can get a meal and refillable coke and just keep topping up your glass, or wetherspoons when they do meal deals including a drink, or we use vouchers and I often drink tap water which is free. It would be a shame if you had to stop going out with friends altogether when a few changes could be made to include you.

My friends are going to ikea today on the train and then going for drinks. I didn't fancy going. I would rather wait till next weekend when we are going to local shopping centre where parking is free and I can start looking for xmas presents. We will probably have a cheap meal somewhere local.

Its been raining in the night and is mild this morning so the heating is off. DS stayed at his girlfriends last night. Dog has been fed and is snoozing so I am back in bed, thank goodness its the weekend.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Your plan for meals out is fab. I will suggest it to my friends too. I am so glad it is the weekend too. It is pouring with rain by me.
  • savingwannabe - I also like meeting up with friends for lunch or coffee rather than dinner. The food is cheaper but we also get to spend more time together as there's no rush to get back home at a reasonable time. Double win :D
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • Am glad it's Friday. The weeks seem a bit if a blur at the moment.

Had a good night out last night with friends. We went to wetherspoons for curry night £7.95 with a drink. One of the girls also bought me a diet coke and a cup of tea as I was designated driver. I had naughty carrot cake £1.99 so total cost under a tenner :D chatted the night away got in just past midnight !

I was tired today so had a snooze after work :o Am now getting ready to go to another friends house for a few drinks and snacks. She lives nearby so no taxi or driving and some other friends are going so should be a good night. I got a bottle of Rose in aldi £2.49 and some nibbles £1.10 and £1.29 so total under a fiver. It's typical all the invites come at once though and quiet for the rest of the month !
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Hello I am glad you are having fun. I am having a restful weekend. The temperature is likely to drop and become colder so I am staying in. lol.
  • It was a nice sunny day yesterday. I had a bit of a hangover :o but managed to take the dog to the park for a run around and then home to hang out washing and a big fry up :D I did some tidying and snoozing and watching TV before walking the dog again around 4.30 before it got fully dark. I don't like these dark nights drawing in !

The washing was mostly dry apart from my jeans which finished off over airers by the radiators. I had the heating on at 6pm and 10pm for 15 minutes to take the chill off. Apart from that it wasn't too cold. May be different today there is a chill in the air when I let the dog out. She now snoozing after her breakfast so I'm back in bed :p

I paid £62 off my 0% credit card yesterday so once the payment has cleared I will amend my signature. That should take the balance to below £1000 :j

I don't think I will have much left at the end of the month to put in the emergency fund. I need to pay £18 for the balance of my Christmas meal out with the girls so I might take that out of the Christmas fund. I also need to set aside at least £30 for taxi and drinks.

I've also been sent a voucher for 50% off mains at toby carvery or harvester, valid next week Monday to Thursday. Am trying to find someone to go with :rotfl:

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    I am so sorry you are not feeling well. I hope the pills start working soon.

I am glad the credit card bill is going down. I hope you enjoy your Christmas meal. I have no spare money at all and applaud you for paying things off. This might end up being my cheapest xmas ever!!!!
  • I am so sorry you are not feeling well. I hope the pills start working soon.

?? I think you must have mixed me up with someone else SW... for once I am ok :D Lots of colds going round at work at the moment.

Two puppy walks done today, bathroom cleaned and one load of towels washed and dried outside. Had a snooze on the sofa this afternoon and for once the dog curled up and slept next to me ... she usually gets all silly when we sit on the sofa with her and starts jumping on us and pulling at our clothes so it was lovely to snuggle up with her. Then she went back to biting again so we went back to sitting in separate chairs :rotfl:

Gas & electric are increasing from December and union fees are going up too, so it will be back to £50 a month off the 0% credit card. I was looking at my loan payments this afternoon and I will have paid off my car by 1/1/2020 (14 months) so I will be £160 a month better off then.

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    OMG:o:o:o:o I must have mixed you up. Someone is on antibiotics but I am so confuzzled with who it is as I have been marking over the weekend and this morning and am now seeing stars.

You cant be ill as you have been walking the puppy. It is cold so wrap up warm.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure