-£99,152 net worth - scary figure

Options

Comments

• charliedavis
    Options
    Hi,

Just want to say welcome. Looking at your SOA, it looks like there are definitely some areas you can cut which is good. Good luck on your journey :)

Thanks! So badly want to get that number down fast but I know that slow and steady will win the race here
  • charliedavis
    Options
    First NSD yesterday - this was a big achievement. Feeling super motivated

Other major changes:
    Teenager took a packed lunch rather than the £4 per day we used to give him. He actually enjoyed it - yay!
    Cooked a syrup pudding and ate for pudding yesterday
    Didn’t drink any wine - worked out 3.5 bottles per week is costing us around £24 per week so that’s a big saving
    Been reading lots of other diaries -loving how many there are to read through

To do today:
    Update OH invoices
    Small shop - toad in the hole this evening and need dishwasher salt and some squash. Aim to keep the shop below £10
    Talk to DS’ driving instructor about the cheapest way to book lessons - I suspect it will be block booking 10 or so at a time
    OH will be cooking rolls this evening
  • adg89
    adg89 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    Hi charliedavis
    Been catching up on your diary - regarding DS' driving - do you pay for all his lessons or is the first block you are looking at paying for?
    If it's the first, I would let him organise and find a driving instructor who is reputable among his social circle so you can ensure you are paying for someone who will be effective.

Also, this is a solution to help you with your funds, but when I started to learn how to drive (and my siblings - my youngest sibling having just passed this year at 18), my parents only paid for the first block of lessons, first theory and first practical, with any extra being paid for by ourselves by part-time work. Would this be an option for you? Then you would have a fixed expenditure on DS' driving, but will also be helping him out to start, and also helping him to learn how to manage his own finances in terms of raising funds for the things he wants.

You don't need to do this if you feel it isn't right for you, but it is another option for you.
  • charliedavis
    Options
    adg89 wrote: »
    Hi charliedavis
    Been catching up on your diary - regarding DS' driving - do you pay for all his lessons or is the first block you are looking at paying for?
    If it's the first, I would let him organise and find a driving instructor who is reputable among his social circle so you can ensure you are paying for someone who will be effective.

Also, this is a solution to help you with your funds, but when I started to learn how to drive (and my siblings - my youngest sibling having just passed this year at 18), my parents only paid for the first block of lessons, first theory and first practical, with any extra being paid for by ourselves by part-time work. Would this be an option for you? Then you would have a fixed expenditure on DS' driving, but will also be helping him out to start, and also helping him to learn how to manage his own finances in terms of raising funds for the things he wants.

You don't need to do this if you feel it isn't right for you, but it is another option for you.

He just turned 17 so paying to get him through is his joint birthday and Xmas pressie.

Definitely want him to get a part time job to pay for his insurance though - showed him how to use indeed and helped him apply for a few on there so far. I do so badly want to teach him good financial lessons and have done a crap job these past few years. Sometimes I worry my crazy overspending will scar him for life :-(
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    It looks like you base your spending on your best months income which is of course variable. You also make the common mistake of not putting money away in the good income earning months to cover the bad months.

Firstly you need emergency savings to stop you relying on credit when you don't have enough income coming in so I don't think you should be throwing all available money towards repaying the debt or you will have a boom and bust situation. The best way to reduce debt is to live within budget and stop spending on credit cold turkey so get rid of the credit cards and definitely don't consolidate. Was the Zopa loan a consolidation? It makes your situation so much worse.

Your rent is way way too high and consequently the council tax and presumably your utilities so presumably you have over guestimated your income and rented way above your financial capabilities. There are other areas for savings like groceries, entertainment, holidays, gifts, mobiles, cable tv, electricity and oil. They could all be halved for a family of your size. I am puzzled how you have such high HP but no assets for it to be secured on as presumably it is not the £6000 cars?

While I think overpaying the debt is certainly a priority especially as you have fairly high interest rates being charged and presumably no option to move to 0% I think saving an emergency fund is every bit as important. I also don't think you are sending a particularly good lesson to your DS in paying for all his driving lessons when you obviously cannot afford it. We paid for the first block of lessons for our two daughters and then they paid their own by getting jobs to fit around school/university. Made them appreciate money and they learnt how to budget. They are now fiscally responsible adults with no debts apart from mortgages simply because we drummed into them that credit was not an option, living within a budget was crucial and saving for things was paramount. Learning to say no, I cannot afford that is the first lesson but it will be a good one for your DS to learn so he does not follow the same path.

If I were you I would be tackling this by using the spare income to initially save £1000 emergency fund then direct it all to the debt. Stop using credit full stop.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • adg89
    adg89 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    It's never too late to remedy that though and to start teaching him how to budget - especially with a part-time income - talk to him about the dangers of overspending and not living within your means - maybe talk about other people's diaries on here? Use them as a cautionary tale.
    I don't think enough people are open about their finances with their family, and sometimes, that can make things worse.
    It looks like you're off to a great start with paying back your debts though, so congrats :-)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I have just read the posts above and see you have already answered about the Zopa loan. Putting money aside for tax/NI is also critical when you are self employed. Do you have an accountant? Good to see you have already put some economy measures in place.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • charliedavis
    Options
    It looks like you base your spending on your best months income which is of course variable. You also make the common mistake of not putting money away in the good income earning months to cover the bad months.

Firstly you need emergency savings to stop you relying on credit when you don't have enough income coming in so I don't think you should be throwing all available money towards repaying the debt or you will have a boom and bust situation. The best way to reduce debt is to live within budget and stop spending on credit cold turkey so get rid of the credit cards and definitely don't consolidate. Was the Zopa loan a consolidation? It makes your situation so much worse.

Your rent is way way too high and consequently the council tax and presumably your utilities so presumably you have over guestimated your income and rented way above your financial capabilities. There are other areas for savings like groceries, entertainment, holidays, gifts, mobiles, cable tv, electricity and oil. They could all be halved for a family of your size. I am puzzled how you have such high HP but no assets for it to be secured on as presumably it is not the £6000 cars?

While I think overpaying the debt is certainly a priority especially as you have fairly high interest rates being charged and presumably no option to move to 0% I think saving an emergency fund is every bit as important. I also don't think you are sending a particularly good lesson to your DS in paying for all his driving lessons when you obviously cannot afford it. We paid for the first block of lessons for our two daughters and then they paid their own by getting jobs to fit around school/university. Made them appreciate money and they learnt how to budget. They are now fiscally responsible adults with no debts apart from mortgages simply because we drummed into them that credit was not an option, living within a budget was crucial and saving for things was paramount. Learning to say no, I cannot afford that is the first lesson but it will be a good one for your DS to learn so he does not follow the same path.

If I were you I would be tackling this by using the spare income to initially save £1000 emergency fund then direct it all to the debt. Stop using credit full stop.

Sorry the HP is for a car that is technically on a lease, i.e. we plan to hand it back 2 years in and exchange it for a new one, due to the number of miles OH does. I presume I could probably remove it for that reason?

Yes totally agree our overheads are waaaay too night, looking forward to moving to somewhere far cheaper in August.

I've moved £200 today into an EF so that is now started, thanks for the advice.

I haven't actually used the credit cards at all for over 2 months since we started tackling the debt, and they are all now cut up into pieces lol :-)

In other news - DS has two interviews for part-time jobs so fingers crossed this is his first steps towards managing his own finances.

Thanks for the advice, I need to hear it!
  • charliedavis
    Options
    adg89 wrote: »
    It's never too late to remedy that though and to start teaching him how to budget - especially with a part-time income - talk to him about the dangers of overspending and not living within your means - maybe talk about other people's diaries on here? Use them as a cautionary tale.
    I don't think enough people are open about their finances with their family, and sometimes, that can make things worse.
    It looks like you're off to a great start with paying back your debts though, so congrats :-)

Thanks adg89. His Dad (we aren't together) is super frugal and very well-off, so I hope his influence rubs off on him for sure!

Thanks for the encouragement
  • charliedavis
    Options
    I have just read the posts above and see you have already answered about the Zopa loan. Putting money aside for tax/NI is also critical when you are self employed. Do you have an accountant? Good to see you have already put some economy measures in place.

Yes I do have a good accountant, thank goodness. I worked out I need to pay £400 per month towards my January self assessment to avoid getting into debt. Best option will be to pre-pay it to the HMRC I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure