The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hope all goes well today :)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks all, I survived! Feeling absolutely knackered, although I was able to start some actual work today, got on well with everyone and am looking forward to going back tomorrow :)
    If I were you I would take back the £135 house fund and play with your MB profits so far, as pure profits and then you are not risking your hard-earned, only your hobby fund. Log the kitty spend and consider it "banked". No point in making a fund if you don't use it. Even though your CCs are 0% interest, each reduction will reduce any re-stoozing fees, unless they will be all gone by then. But then, I am trying to clear all my debts so that retirement obligations are down to running our lives and homes and pleasure. That is what it is all about.

Good idea, I'll do it as soon as the most recent round of profits comes back to the current account that I use for MB :T

Now that I have proven that this style of MB appears to be sustainable and demonstrably profitable, there is no harm in scaling back the stakes and building them back up again with free money :)

Ps. What did you mean by "Log the kitty spend... don't use it?" It's being a long day and you lost me.
    Karmacat wrote: »
    No financial train wreck, a wonderful day out, MB profits of a zillion per cent - your new job will follow along, it'll be brilliant :)

Cheers KC, your positivity is much appreciated and I managed to approach new job with nary a trace of imposter syndrome by the time I got to the office this morning.
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Hope all goes well today :)

Cheers GG - I'm still standing - well, slumped in a chair if I'm honest :rotfl:

Tomorrow is another day. I'm so enthused I even bought Post-its (well, their non-union cheapo equivalent) and pencils for work (local government death by a thousand cuts mean no resources, but I don't mind as it will make my job easier to have them).
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Glad that today went well for you :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Log the kitty spend was just a suggestion that you keep a record of the MB winnings that you spend so that you can add it to your actual kitty and then you can see how you have done overall. Occasionally a bit of reflective smugness is good for the soul!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    Log the kitty spend was just a suggestion that you keep a record of the MB winnings that you spend so that you can add it to your actual kitty and then you can see how you have done overall. Occasionally a bit of reflective smugness is good for the soul!

Good idea! :T

Absolutely knackered today - the new work is much more cerebral and my brain hurts :o Working late and eating nonsense, but that will settle down after a couple of weeks and establishing a routine again.

We bought DD a new bed and mattress. I'd had good intentions about looking locally for a secondhand one, but time is my main enemy at the moment. Decided it was politic to spend what limited free time I have with DD and Mrs E (and not driving across the city to disassemble beds that I would then have to paint) ;) No regrets.
  • Hi Ed, sounds like the right call on the bed, it’s tough on everybody starting a new job and makes frugaling hard. DH has taken on extra work this term- which equals more cash but less time. Night before last I was suggesting we get extra help at home (someone to cut the grass and clean the windows as I am fed up of doing everything). Not very frugal.

PS I am sure you are rocking the new job.
  • edinburgher
    Hi Ed, sounds like the right call on the bed, it’s tough on everybody starting a new job and makes frugaling hard. DH has taken on extra work this term- which equals more cash but less time. Night before last I was suggesting we get extra help at home (someone to cut the grass and clean the windows as I am fed up of doing everything). Not very frugal.

PS I am sure you are rocking the new job.

Thanks Science_mum, I am trying my best! ;)

As for frugality, I am a woefully bad example at the best of times :rotfl: Don't get me wrong, there have been times in my life when I was probably a shining example of frugality - mending clothes, baking my own bread and home brewing. The problem is (as I see it) that frugality either involves subtraction (i.e. opting not to do something) or the substitution of your labour for lower initial spend on the finished product (for example, the time consuming process of making sourdough bread vs. buying shop bought). Both subtraction and time are hard things to achieve as a parent, as you will be well aware ;)

We've also got a window cleaner after 3 years of basically ignoring our filthy windows, well worth the spend. The first time I cleaned our windows, I managed to drop a 20' ladder on my shoulder and head :eek:

Mrs E is picking up some bedding for DD's new bed today, after that we will screw the nut as regards spending. I have to cut the grass, build the bed, hoover and process the laundry today, as well as making dinner :j

I finally received £30 cashback from TCB after 17 months of chasing! This has been paid off a CC.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

I finally received £30 cashback from TCB after 17 months of chasing! This has been paid off a CC.

Admirable Terrior-like qualities to chase that for 17 months! Well done indeed :T:T
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    Early signs promising for DD's new bed - if the clocks hadn't changed she would have been in bed 'til 7:45! :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    That’s great.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback