The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,162 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    We went for a girl, I am totally outnumbered :rotfl:

You are :eek: :rotfl::rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What with new cat, new work clothes and Mrs E's birthday, we are completely, terrifyingly skint :eek:

I honestly think this is the most parlous our finances have been in 3 years :o

The one ray of sunshine is the fact that MB is proving to be relatively profitable, I've managed to grow my initial £250 to £600, but I'm trying not to pull profits out this early. If it comes to it, I can, but I'd rather not.

In mildly positive news, a rotten P2P investment has made a partial repayment, £15.52 paid off a credit card. I discovered that one of my credit limits was much higher than I'd remembered, so my credit utilisation is now exactly 40%.

I start my new job on Monday, just under a 5% pay rise straight away, more to follow in time :)
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A tiny female tabby kitten is sleeping underneath my armchair :heart2:

:smileyhea :smileyhea :smileyhea

How lovely- hopefully your little kitten takes your side occasionally! :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • beanielou
    Great news on the credit utilisation.
    & on the payrise :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just back from a mammoth day out at a wildlife park (we booked the tickets months ago). Great fun, just the thing to distract me from my new job starting tomorrow. I have a massive dose of imposter syndrome and am trying to lighten up. Just remember, all you can do is go in full of enthusiasm, smile and try to remember people's names :o

It didn't end up being too spendy, which is a first for us. We took a picnic and a couple of coffees and a none-too-impressive doughnut at £7 was our only spend (Mrs E treated us, it was her birthday recently). DD saw a lot of animals, had her face painted and was all smiles all day :love:

I am trying to shove our financial train wreck back on to the rails wherever I can. Today I transferred £99 out of MB profits to pay for the kitten's medical bills (basically this will cover all her appointments for the first 6 months including neutering, microchip and jags etc.) MB pot is now sitting at about £540, which is more than 100% up over a month, although it does still owe "the house" £135. I need to try and find more positivity in my life - any normal person would be "great, that's £500 you've got/spent from nowhere", but I am sitting thing "damn, why isn't this £1,000?" :(

Will try and get a reasonably early night - tomorrow marks the first day of the rest of my life :D

I remember my DFW diaries when I was earning basically minimum wage. If you'd told me that I'd be earning 3x that a decade later I'd have laughed in your face!
  • zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good luck for your new job tomorrow
  • Good luck tomorrow
    The wisdom is that you have 90 days in any new job to make impressions or mistakes
    After that you are deemed to be "experienced"
    So make a note of 90 days from tomorrow and dont be too hard on yourself until then :rotfl:
  • beanielou
    Glad that you have had a good day.
    Hope all goes well tomorrow & going forward.

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Good luck with the new job - they would not have given it to you if they did not think you could do it, and will be willing you to succeed and prove their selection right :-). My only wisdom to pass on is that the higher you go, the more frogs you have to kiss (you, know, the prince thing). Just smile.

If I were you I would take back the £135 house fund and play with your MB profits so far, as pure profits and then you are not risking your hard-earned, only your hobby fund. Log the kitty spend and consider it "banked". No point in making a fund if you don't use it. Even though your CCs are 0% interest, each reduction will reduce any re-stoozing fees, unless they will be all gone by then. But then, I am trying to clear all my debts so that retirement obligations are down to running our lives and homes and pleasure. That is what it is all about.

Your day out sounds wonderful. Treasure the time you have together.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No financial train wreck, a wonderful day out, MB profits of a zillion per cent - your new job will follow along, it'll be brilliant :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure