• Charbles_2
    Options
    thanks

So it will be back soon ?
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It took more than eight months for the system with incorrect prices to be taken offline, so my guess is... no, not soon.
  • Charbles_2
    Options
    Or well sad :( . Money Saving Expert lost a good utility. It was very useful for consumers to compare international call rates. Now we have to use google until they bring it back.

thanks for the update.
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2016 at 6:24PM
    Options
    Alloneword wrote: »
    Ditto, was going to ring me dad in Aus tonight but checker seems to have gone.

Question, How are we supposed to save money if you remove it for the odd call now and then?

All1

If you used it for the odd call in the mess it was in. I doubt if it would have been very cheap.

If you posted the destination you wished to call,whether its Landline or Mobile and whether you have inclusive minutes, and if you are using landline or mobile. No doubt somebody would be able to advise you cheap supplier.

To give you some idea. If you have an EE,Orange, T-Mob,o2, or 3 UK Mobile Payg or Contract. A 25 minute call to oz landline would only cost you 50p using http://www.dialacode.com/cheap-international-calls-to-Australia (Shortcode Access Inclusive minutes not required)
  • Charbles_2
    Options
    I disagree

Call checker compare list was keeping up the competition and providers were dropping their rates . Is the same way with Money Supper Market they keep up the competition . Removing competition is not good for consumers.

There were some mistakes but again there were providers there that were offering great rates.

Dialacode only works from mobile EE,Orange, T-Mob,o2, or 3 and if you are on Landline , GiffGaff, Vodafone, Lebara and Lyca it does not work.

So please bring back the MSE call checker if possible.
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2016 at 7:02AM
    Options
    Charbles wrote: »
    I disagree

Call checker compare list was keeping up the competition and providers were dropping their rates . Is the same way with Money Supper Market they keep up the competition . Removing competition is not good for consumers.

There were some mistakes but again there were providers there that were offering great rates.

Dialacode only works from mobile EE,Orange, T-Mob,o2, or 3 and if you are on Landline , GiffGaff, Vodafone, Lebara and Lyca it does not work.

So please bring back the MSE call checker if possible.

I agree it was a handy reference when it was more accurate.

However many of the calls were no longer cheap since the introduction of the extra charges for calling 084/087 numbers,
    and many people were complaining about running up big bills by using it.

It had no real bearing on competition many of the services being promoted were two different suppliers using different brand names trying to hook people in.

No need for you point out the limitations of dialacode i clearly stated them.Did you not notice i was only using them as an example.
  • stu369
    stu369 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_Nick wrote: »
    articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all,

We've written a new Cheap Calls guide and would love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Nick
    Can we have the old CallChecker back please?, that still worked great a week or so ago.
  • Charbles_2
    Options
    The link is not working
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The callchecker hasn't been accurate for a couple of years - I checked sporadically and used its recommendations a few times. Each time, the price the callchecker stated wasn't accurate, and in a few cases it wouldn't even work to the destination.

I have recently started using toolani from my mobile to foreign landline, and so far so great. No sim needed and no direct debit. Just a shame I can't use it from landline to landline.
  • The_Groat_Counter
    Options
    The 18185, 18866 and 1899 indirect access services have all increased their UK landline rates recently from 0.5p to 0.7p a minute, plus the call 'startup fee' (aka set up fee) of 5p - this is when calling from a BT line (or other compatible line that allows access to these services via their shortcodes).

Still a good value choice for many people - for those without inclusive call packages, or those calling outside the time window of their inclusive call packages, 18185 / 18866 / 1899 beat the call charges of the big telcos hands down - for example, currently for calls to UK landlines BT charges 10.24p/min plus a 17.07p set up fee.

When calling via the 0808 freephone access code (for those who cannot access the shortcodes from their landline - or for use from mobiles), calls to UK landlines are 1p a minute plus 5p call startup fee. Compare to...

* Sky - 11.5p.min (+ 16.p connection fee)
    * TalkTalk - 11.5p/min (+17p connection charge)
    * Virgin Media landline - 11.35p/min (+17.5p connection charge)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure