Which? proclaims Sainsbury's the cheapest supermarket

A._Badger
A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
According to Which? Sainsbury's is currently the UK's cheapest supermarket.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51153285

They must be doing a BOGOF on hallucinogenic drugs is all I can say.

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    A._Badger wrote: »
    According to Which? Sainsbury's is currently the UK's cheapest supermarket.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51153285

Only bought branded items so that explains it,

"The consumer group tracked the prices of 53 branded items like Andrex toilet roll and Weetabix cereal over the year. ...Which? only tracked stores that sell their full range online, so Lidl and Aldi were not included."
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • A._Badger
    Farway wrote: »
    Only bought branded items so that explains it,

"The consumer group tracked the prices of 53 branded items like Andrex toilet roll and Weetabix cereal over the year."

Even so, I think they must have compiled their 'basket' very cunningly. I shop at either Sainsbury's or Morrisons for a top-up shop and the suggestion that the former is cheaper strikes me as one of the most absurd ideas I've heard in a long while.
  • Which? only tracked stores that sell their full range online, so Lidl and Aldi were not included.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have to agree :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

But then the few processed foods I buy tend not be be branded. I suppose it might help people wedded to their brands, but by default they seem not to really think too hard about cost so let them subsidise the big 4's bottom lines.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • A._Badger
    slashlover wrote: »
    Which? only tracked stores that sell their full range online, so Lidl and Aldi were not included.

Yes, we know that. But do you believe they are cheaper than, say, Asda, Tesco or Morrisons?
  • They must have either bunged Which a huge sum or someone working at Which really loves Sainsburys. No way Sainsburys is cheapest, especially on the Branded items.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Sainsbobs did say they'd been looking at their prices recently ... maybe they targetted the basket of goods deliberately, knowing it'd come up soon... and just made sure they were the same price/1p below others until after the results had been published.

I've always found them pricey, but, like all things, it depends what you're looking for and by what measure you're deciding they're pricey.

... so I think they "played the game".
  • A._Badger
    Sainsbobs did say they'd been looking at their prices recently ... maybe they targetted the basket of goods deliberately, knowing it'd come up soon... and just made sure they were the same price/1p below others until after the results had been published.

I've always found them pricey, but, like all things, it depends what you're looking for and by what measure you're deciding they're pricey.

... so I think they "played the game".

I was in a Sainsbury's on Friday (mea culpa) and it struck ne that almost everything I wanted to buy was more expensive than I'd have expected. It's only one example I know, but I wanted a three pack of 200g Heinz baked beans (living the high life again). A quick comparison via mysupermarket,com reveals that ignoring Tesco (which had them on special offer that week) everyone else charged £1.70 Sainsbury's price was £1.80.

I found that sort of small, but irritating difference in a lot of items, which is why I think Which? has reached a very misleading conclusion.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I was in a Sainsbury's on Friday (mea culpa) and it struck ne that almost everything I wanted to buy was more expensive than I'd have expected. It's only one example I know, but I wanted a three pack of 200g Heinz baked beans (living the high life again). A quick comparison via mysupermarket,com reveals that ignoring Tesco (which had them on special offer that week) everyone else charged £1.70 Sainsbury's price was £1.80.

I found that sort of small, but irritating difference in a lot of items, which is why I think Which? has reached a very misleading conclusion.

I'm a L1dl/4ldi shopper by preference, for price.... fewer temptations in there too, although they have "gentrified" their range and prices have risen in the last 5 years or so.

I went into Sainsbobs yesterday, this one is new to me so I decided to go and acclimatise myself with their layout/products, perchance to find something great for lunch. I emerged with a single tin of pineapple chunks at 33p :)

IMHO their bags of 5 doughnuts (now 75p, were 60p last year) have consistently been "the best cheap/bagged doughnuts" for over 20 years, although, with having to eat a bag of five, I tend to only buy a bag once every 2 years (1 doughnut = 30p; 5 were 60p, so I'd just walk off snorting at the rip off).

I'm quite happy with 4ldi's own brand beans, £1 for a 4-pack. I'd hyperventilate if I had to pay "brand" prices :)
  • A._Badger
    I'm a L1dl/4ldi shopper by preference, for price.... fewer temptations in there too, although they have "gentrified" their range and prices have risen in the last 5 years or so.

I went into Sainsbobs yesterday, this one is new to me so I decided to go and acclimatise myself with their layout/products, perchance to find something great for lunch. I emerged with a single tin of pineapple chunks at 33p :)

IMHO their bags of 5 doughnuts (now 75p, were 60p last year) have consistently been "the best cheap/bagged doughnuts" for over 20 years, although, with having to eat a bag of five, I tend to only buy a bag once every 2 years (1 doughnut = 30p; 5 were 60p, so I'd just walk off snorting at the rip off).

I'm quite happy with 4ldi's own brand beans, £1 for a 4-pack. I'd hyperventilate if I had to pay "brand" prices :)

I'm an Aldi shopper too (this was my end of the week top-up) and I wouldn't even consider doing my main shop elsewhere. I agree abut Aldi beans, too, but small tins don't leave any waste if I just want one helping and Aldi only sells large tins.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure