How to obtain credit reports

Comments

• call equifax for help on credit reports
  • I pay monthly my Experian membership subscription. But on my Experian credit report I can't find all my details (monthly payments). I mean it's only Lloyds TSB who appears there (I'm also banking with Barclays, Premier Division but nothing about Barclays appears in my credit report). Nothing about my monthly payments to Virgin Media, for example. Only O2 appears there (and I have 10 direct debits set on my Barclay Account). That O2 DD is in Lloyds. I downgraded my Lloyds account to a simple one, no fee. Will this affect my credit scoring? Last time I checked my credit scoring last week, I was on good with 908 points.

Do I have to do anything in order to see my monthly payments through my Premier Barclays account on my credit report? My first opened account was with Lloyds. Do they need an update or something like that? Thank you.
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Monochrome wrote: »
    I pay my Experian membership subscription monthly, but I can't find all my details (monthly payments) on my Experian credit report. I mean it's only Lloyds TSB who appears there (I'm also banking with Barclays, Premier Division but nothing about Barclays appears in my credit report). Nothing about my monthly payments to Virgin Media, for example. Only O2 appears there (and I have 10 direct debits set on my Barclay Account). Do I have to do anything in order to see my monthly payments through my Premier Barclays account on my credit report? My first opened account was with Lloyds. Do they need an update or something like that?
    Unless credit facilities are involved (eg. mobile phone), your payment histories with utilities are not normally reported to the credit reference agencies, provided that you are not in arrears. In other words, utilities neither help nor harm your credit history, if you always pay up on time.

Note: in the last four months, British Gas has begun to report new customer accounts to the CRAs. [Obviously, BG needs a customer's permission, so only new account holders are affected.]
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • Moggles_2
    Monochrome wrote: »
    I pay monthly my Experian membership subscription, but I can't find all my details (monthly payments)on my Experian credit report. I mean it's only Lloyds TSB who appears there (I'm also banking with Barclays, Premier Division but nothing about Barclays appears in my credit report).
    Barclays Bank reports current accounts to Equifax, not Experian, so that explains that one. I'd order a credit report from Equifax (For help, see page 1 of this sticky)
    I downgraded my LloydsTSB account to a simple one, no fee. Will this affect my credit scoring?
    If the new account provides the same overdraft facilities as the old one, your credit history is not affected.
  • Do not go with experian. I cancelled my subscription and they kept charging me.
  • Moggles_2
    Do not go with Experian. I cancelled my subscription and they kept charging me.
    Forum users have reported even more difficulties cancelling their Equifax subscription. Having tried the free trials, I'd rather pay £2 for the statutory report than hand over my payment details and face another struggle to cancel.

More to the point, we cannot be absolutely certain which credit card providers search a particular agency's files (lenders do not disclose this information), but anecdotal evidence suggests most use Experian, so that one matters more. That said, Barclaycard uses Equifax evidently, hence the above advice.
  • glvr
    glvr Posts: 21 Forumite
    I'm wanting to check my credit reports for potentially adverse info.

I read elswhere that:

* A report based on Callcredit data will show you the most detail.
    * A report based on Equifax data will show you exactly what lenders see.
    * A report based on Experian data will show you only your public data - very little compared to the above options, but will show you what employers and landlords typically see.

Question: Is this correct? Specifically - am I right in thinking that by ordering my own reports I'll see more than 'they' (potential lenders/landlords) do?

I've also read that many lenders/landlords don't bother with Callcredit.

Question: Is this correct?

I'm wondering about Equifax and Experian... and whether the info available in the 'become a paid member' is the same as that supplied in their 'statutory, £2' versions?

Question: Is there a difference?

Both the Equifax statutory report and the Experian free-trial one don't show all the bank/other accounts/ccj stuff I'd expect - either at the current address or previous ones.

I'm wondering if this is because I'm now using a different forename than I once did. I didn't tick the 'have you been known by any other name' options as I simply dropped my original forename and thought that the date of birth I supplied would ensure some 'ah, same person' thing.

Question: Am I right in thinking that if stuff doesn't show on the reports, then such info (including potentially adverse stuff) remains inaccessible?
  • Moggles_2
    glvr wrote: »
    I'm wondering about Equifax and Experian and whether the info available in the 'become a paid member' is the same as that supplied in their statutory £2 versions? Is there a difference?
    None whatsoever.

Having taken advantage of the free trials, I have to say I'd rather pay £2 for a statutory report, than hand over my payment details again and face another struggle to cancel (see #448 immediately above yours)

Btw, the credit reference agencies seem happy to answer questions over the phone if you quote the reference number on your most recent credit report. So if you wanted to check that a particular item had since been updated, there's no need to order further copies of your credit reports ;)
  • Just wanted to moan about Equifax - I tried to order the statutory report and view it immediately online, rather than get it posted. Having entered all the details, created my account, they found my file and asked me to log on to view it. Then they claim my log in details are not valid (I just entered them twice to create the account 30 secs prior!) If I click on the 'forgotten password' link and enter details they claim 'the information provided does not match our records'.

Net result: £2 paid and no credit file provided... will have to wait to Monday to call and complain...

....this actually seems to be a technical problem at their end, anyone else suffered the same situation?
  • Moggles_2
    NorwichMan wrote: »
    Just wanted to moan about Equifax. I tried to order the statutory report and view it immediately online, rather than get it posted. Having entered all the details, created my account, they found my file and asked me to log on to view it. Then they claim my log in details are not valid (I just entered them twice to create the account 30 secs prior!) If I click on the 'forgotten password' link and enter details they claim 'the information provided does not match our records'.Net result: £2 paid and no credit file provided... will have to wait to Monday to call and complain. This actually seems to be a technical problem at their end, anyone else suffered the same situation?
    Can you view a statutory report online then? I thought these were paper-based and available only by post. I do know that if you order statutory reports online from Equifax or Experian, they arrive by post within around 4 working days.

Btw, the CRAs seem happy to answer questions over the phone if you quote the reference number on your most recent report. So if, for instance, you wanted to check that a particular item had since been updated, there's no need to order further copies ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure