Economy Energy, who are they?

Comments

• Thanks Fullforce

I think I'll go down the resolver route for sake of convenience.

Regards Tim
  • timdf911 wrote: »
    Hi Sterlingtimes

would you sharing which formal complaint route you've gone down ?

I'm thinking of using the Resolver website because as you say normal channels just don't work.
    Regards Tim

Hello Tim

I am following the Economy Energy's complaint process here:

https://www.economyenergy.co.uk/customers/make-a-complaint/

I sent my complaint by email with the necessary evidence in the form of attachments. Mindful that Economy Energy may deny the email communication at a later date, I printed out the email and sent it to Economy Energy by tracked Royal Mail Special Delivery.

Economy has 10 working days to respond. Nothing heard as yet.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • FullForce wrote: »
    It is, in the first instance, the only procedure you should follow.

If Economy Energy happened to be a normal good business, I would follow the complaints' procedure only, however, my confidence in Economy Energy to communicate correctly is very low. Already, MSE has stepped in with a news article that will help those seeking redress. I do wish the Daily Mail would pick this up.

I would expect Economy Energy to write back to me accepting that the contract into which we entered is binding upon Economy Energy and that it will rescind the notice that it provided of the 88% unit price increase in gas and 30% unit price increase in electricity.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • FullForce
    FullForce Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 September 2018 at 8:56PM
    Hello Tim

I am following the Economy Energy's complaint process here:

https://www.economyenergy.co.uk/customers/make-a-complaint/

I sent my complaint by email with the necessary evidence in the form of attachments. Mindful that Economy Energy may deny the email communication at a later date, I printed out the email and sent it to Economy Energy by tracked Royal Mail Special Delivery.

Economy has 10 working days to respond. Nothing heard as yet.

I'm confused

2 days ago you said you would not follow this procedure
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74787979&postcount=129

You mention the complaint still has 5 days to run, and the ombudsman is interested already.

You also mention other ways to pursue the complaint.

I will advise you that the ombudsman will NOT investigate any complaint unless
    1. You have followed the suppliers compliant procedure
    and
    2. You have a deadlock letter or at least 8 weeks have passed since you first contacted the supplier with regards the complaint

If the supplier gives you the impression they have given you a final answer, then request a deadlock letter, or at least somethging in writing that confirms they have come to the end of the road as far as offering you a resolution.

As you only created the thead the above linked post is in on 6th of this month, it would seem you have not even reached the stage of escalating the matter to stage 2 of the supplier's complaint procedure.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2018 at 9:14PM
    FullForce wrote: »
    I'm confused
    2 days ago you said you would not follow this procedure
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74787979&postcount=129

For clarification:

I said that I had exhausted communication with the front office who refused to escalate. I did instigate the complaints' process. Because this is a weekend, there are still five working days to run. I am waiting for Economy to respond. Agreed that I have not come to stage 2 as yet.
  • FullForce
    FullForce Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 September 2018 at 9:23PM
    For clarification:

I said that I had exhausted communication with the front office who refused to escalate.
    I did instigate the complaints' process. Because this is a weekend, there are still five working days to run. I am waiting for Economy to respond. Agreed that I have not come to stage 2 as yet.

5 working days until what? Escalate to stage 2 of their compliant process?

You don't need the permission of the supplier to request escalation. I suspect they will not refuse your request if appropriate at the appropraite time. If they do, and it's in writing, I suspect you could take that as a "final response". But they will not consider escatation until at least 10 working days have passed since you initially raised the complaint with them.

It could be another 7 weeks before the ombudsman will accept this complaint ... and many more months before they then actually investigate it.

As you have presumably not been charged the higher rates yet, the supplier is not in breach of their contract as you allege.

Perhaps the situation will become clearer to you before you are able to escalate this matter to the ombudsman, and certainly before thge ombudsman actuually investigate it.
    As I understand it, the supplier has already confirmed to MSE that they will not charge increased prices Uduring the fixed period) if you were informed in writing when you joined that the prices were fixed.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2018 at 9:50PM
    As you have presumably not been charged the higher rates yet, the supplier is not in breach of their contract as you allege.

Thank you, Full Force. I think we look at matters a little differently.

I regard the notice itself as a breach because it tells me that my fixed term contract with fixed price guarantee will become a variable price contract from 7 October and that my annual price will increase by an estimated £600. The contract is varied without my agreement from the point of the notice. I sought to have the notice set-aside but the front office refused. I had a £1,300 contract but from the point of the notice, I have a £1,900 contract (figures approximate).
  • Thank you, Full Force. I think we look at matters a little differently.

I regard the notice itself as a breach because it tells me that my fixed term contract with fixed price guarantee will become a variable price contract from 7 October and that my annual price will increase by an estimated £600. The contract is varied without my agreement from the point of the notice. I sought to have the notice set-aside but the front office refused. I had a £1,300 contract but from the point of the notice, I have a £1,900 contract (figures approximate).

According to your profile, you work within the legal profession.

Perhaps you could ask one of your colleagues who went to law school what the law actually is :)
  • FullForce wrote: »

This is incorrect.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite

Perhaps you could ask one of your colleagues who went to law school what the law actually is :)

All he claims is to be in a "legal' occupation, but don't know why.

No-one would state they were an illegal on a public forum would they??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure