Force Internet Service Providers to allow capped allowance usage

Following on from the new rules to allow mobile customers to limit their bills:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/new-rules-to-allow-mobile-customers-to-limit-their-bills

Surely its time to force all internet service providers to also do the same?

I'm one of the unlucky people to be on fixed allowance for monthly usage, this limits what the family can use/watch/download, but I manage it each month. The problem is each month is getting more difficult due to shifting to online TV and video streaming, game downloads and updates are getting bigger etc.

If we went over the usage allowance it costs £1+VAT per 1GB, there is no cap on this, the bill could easily be in the £100's.

I'd rather set a limit and block usage altogether rather than pay any more that month, I'm not the only one either, I'm seeing many other people complain they've been hit with a massive bill due to the kids downloading something that month.

If I want an unlimited usage package it'd cost me an extra £23 a month (up from £41 to £65)

I'm unable to change broadband provider due to my location, there are no other providers apart from mobile broadband in my area which would be even worse cost effective wise.

There are periodic emails from the provider saying how much percentage is left of the allowance - 50%/75%/90%/100%, but it can take 3-4 hours to update and be alerted (could easily download 20-30GB in this time). There's also the web portal account to see usage with a manual check. There's just no option to cap the usage on the account, why would the ISP not allow this apart from an easy money making scheme?!

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2018 at 2:16PM
    You do realise that in your case the likely result is that your current tariff would disappear to be replaced by the one costing £65.

Mobile users limiting their bill are doing it by also limiting their usage.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    darkovo wrote: »
    Following on from the new rules to allow mobile customers to limit their bills:
    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/new-rules-to-allow-mobile-customers-to-limit-their-bills

Surely its time to force all internet service providers to also do the same?

I'm one of the unlucky people to be on fixed allowance for monthly usage, this limits what the family can use/watch/download, but I manage it each month. The problem is each month is getting more difficult due to shifting to online TV and video streaming, game downloads and updates are getting bigger etc.

If we went over the usage allowance it costs £1+VAT per 1GB, there is no cap on this, the bill could easily be in the £100's.

I'd rather set a limit and block usage altogether rather than pay any more that month, I'm not the only one either, I'm seeing many other people complain they've been hit with a massive bill due to the kids downloading something that month.

If I want an unlimited usage package it'd cost me an extra £23 a month (up from £41 to £65)

I'm unable to change broadband provider due to my location, there are no other providers apart from mobile broadband in my area which would be even worse cost effective wise.

There are periodic emails from the provider saying how much percentage is left of the allowance - 50%/75%/90%/100%, but it can take 3-4 hours to update and be alerted (could easily download 20-30GB in this time). There's also the web portal account to see usage with a manual check. There's just no option to cap the usage on the account, why would the ISP not allow this apart from an easy money making scheme?!

So where are you that you only have one provider?
  • @custardy
    My guess would be Hull where Kingston Communication have an effective monopoly. (No other provider will pay to use their infrastructure)
  • darkovo
    darkovo Posts: 209
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ^ Yep Hull area.
    I'm sure this problem appears in other areas though, as well as those that are stuck in an 18 month contract or whatever, so unable to move for a long time.
  • darkovo
    Forumite
    pmduk wrote: »
    You do realise that in your case the likely result is that your current tariff would disappear to be replaced by the one costing £65.

Mobile users limiting their bill are doing it by also limiting their usage.

Theyre on the edge of causing an uproar as it is, £40+ for pretty low use broadband allowance must be near the top of the country as it is?

Very difficult managing a household's broadband internet usage, especially when kids are involved.
    This isn't somewhere to argue this point though, I quite easily manage my own usage.
  • custardy
    Forumite
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    @custardy
    My guess would be Hull where Kingston Communication have an effective monopoly. (No other provider will pay to use their infrastructure)

Yeah I suspected as much.
    Problem is being such a relatively small area,its a problem I suspect not many have outside of that area?
  • custardy
    Forumite
    darkovo wrote: »
    Theyre on the edge of causing an uproar as it is, £40+ for pretty low use broadband allowance must be near the top of the country as it is?

Very difficult managing a household's broadband internet usage, especially when kids are involved.
    This isn't somewhere to argue this point though, I quite easily manage my own usage.

Do you class 200GB a month as low usage?

https://www.kcomhome.com/products/broadband/
  • darkovo
    Forumite
    custardy wrote: »
    Do you class 200GB a month as low usage?

https://www.kcomhome.com/products/broadband/

Yes I do in this day and age and for a full family of users.

It's pretty limiting.
    You do know the latest COD update is 50GB by itself, Red Dead 2 will be over 100GB in total also.
    There are console games btw.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,923
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Perhaps it's just time for the kids to get a life!:)
  • darkovo
    Forumite
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Perhaps it's just time for the kids to get a life!:)

OK grandad
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport