Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • danielfleetwood
    • By danielfleetwood 15th Apr 18, 11:51 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    danielfleetwood
    Canary Claims - advice needed
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:51 PM
    Canary Claims - advice needed 15th Apr 18 at 11:51 PM
    To cut a long story short - I used Canary Claims to reclaim PPI on 4 accounts. 2 have came back as upheld which I agree, I should pay the 15% fee for them sorting.
    The other 2 have came back as not reviewed but stating an "unfair relationship" was created and they have still paid out but Canary Claims are still stating I owe them the fees. Is this correct? I thought they could only charge you if the bank have paid you PPI money back?

From what I can tell, the second 2 where they were unable to review due to time limits (I never received a letter btw as I moved house) have only paid out 50% of what I am owed?

Advice please.
    Last edited by danielfleetwood; 15-04-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 16th Apr 18, 12:30 AM
    • 94,460 Posts
    • 62,395 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:30 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:30 AM
    but Canary Claims are still stating I owe them the fees. Is this correct?
    Yes it is.

I thought they could only charge you if the bank have paid you PPI money back?
    Any form of redress arising from their letter allows them to bill against it.

have only paid out 50% of what I am owed?
    You are not owed anything. That isnt how it works. Are you sure its 50%? That would suggest a 100% commission but that doesnt exist. The plevin ruling is any excess OVER 50%. e.g. if the commission is 65%, then they refund 15%.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • danielfleetwood
    • By danielfleetwood 16th Apr 18, 12:36 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    danielfleetwood
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:36 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:36 AM
    Level of commission and profit share 79%.

I have received a letter from Canary stating the following...

"as the redress offered in relation to the undisclosed commission is not the full refund of the ppi premiums and interest you paid, we believe it would be prudent to refer your case to the FOS to appeal against their decision"

What should I do?
    • danielfleetwood
    • By danielfleetwood 16th Apr 18, 12:45 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    danielfleetwood
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:45 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:45 AM
    Do I have grounds to try and get more money?
    • danielfleetwood
    • By danielfleetwood 16th Apr 18, 12:47 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    danielfleetwood
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:47 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:47 AM
    I could have sworn that I read on here that you can't complain due to time limits.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 16th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 3,343 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    The firm have rejected your complaint but offered you the Plevin refund on commission. If you feel your complaint is strong you can refer the rejected complaint to the FOS, if your case is weak then accept the Plevin refund and pay the fees.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 16th Apr 18, 10:29 AM
    • 94,460 Posts
    • 62,395 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:29 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:29 AM
    "as the redress offered in relation to the undisclosed commission is not the full refund of the ppi premiums and interest you paid, we believe it would be prudent to refer your case to the FOS to appeal against their decision"
    That seems to be a breach of CMC guidelines. They should not be automatically referring you to the FOS. They should look at the decision and give you personalised advice.

The FOS cannot look at timebarred cases unless the timebar is incorrectly applied.

Do I have grounds to try and get more money?
    Based on what you have said, the complaints havent even been looked at as they are timebarred. Plevin refunds are a defined method. So, you get no more money.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,246Posts Today

8,671Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin