Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jraf
    • By jraf 26th Nov 17, 12:39 PM
    • 65Posts
    • 19Thanks
    jraf
    Curve Card technique - withdraw cash on any credit card with no fee
    • 26th Nov 17, 12:39 PM
    Curve Card technique - withdraw cash on any credit card with no fee 26th Nov 17 at 12:39 PM
    Hey guys,

Just thought I'd share a quick tip for you fellow stoozers if you're not aware already (I didn't see a thread for this in the sub-forum)

If you apply for a curve card (you'll need to do it through the 'Curve' app on iphone or android)
    you can add any card to the app and then pay through the selected credit card. You can withdraw up to 200 cash fee-free using the card and it will show on your credit card statement as a normal transaction rather than a cash withdrawal.

Also, you can get 5 in bonus points on sign up if you get recommened (PM me if you need a code). There's also a referral page on the referrers forum of this site.

Cheers!
Page 1
    • ricky_v
    • By ricky_v 27th Nov 17, 9:13 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    ricky_v
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:13 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:13 PM
    200 per calendar month, 2% charge thereafter according to the fair use policy

https://www.imaginecurve.com/fair-use/

Still, makes a slow stooz a little faster or the possibility of easy cash back on certain cards so I'll look into it abit more thanks
    • jtgaoler
    • By jtgaoler 20th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jtgaoler
    • 20th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    Now that the Curve card is Mastercard Debit (ask in the app if you still have the charge card - it doesn't have "Debit" on it)....

... it's become an even better deal for the self-employed or indeed anyone making a payment to HMRC.

Just used Curve to pay a chunk of tax - went through very quickly, no charges from HMRC, none from Curve. What's not to like?

This will really pick up the pace on my slow-stooze CC.

I have been withdrawing cash for spending too.
    • jtgaoler
    • By jtgaoler 9th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jtgaoler
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    Just to add one final method.

Various banking apps now let you "top up" with a debit card.

I've tried curve with Starling and it let me top up fine, essentially putting cash into a current account right off my Cc....
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 9th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    https://www.imaginecurve.com/fair-use/

In addition to the fees listed above, any behaviour which Curve deems to be "cash recycling" is not permitted. This is where high volumes of cash (e.g. defined by a high cash to spend ratio) are taken out of an ATM using a credit card or other payment card, and then used to repay the card in order to gain rewards on the funding card or Curve Rewards. Depending on the account activity, "high volumes of cash withdrawals" could include spending which is under 200/ month as it will be assessed on the volume and frequency of ATM withdrawals compared to non-ATM spend. Any other equivalent usage which the Curve Compliance Team believes aims to achieve the same outcome, for example via the use of money transfer services, is also not permitted. Such behaviour may result in your Curve account being blocked or cancelled. See Section 6 of Curve Terms and Conditions for further information.
    This will likely get your card banned. The odd cash withdraw is fine. but this will likely see your card blocked?
    Last edited by stevenhp1987; 09-03-2018 at 3:31 PM.
    • The Urbanite
    • By The Urbanite 9th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    The Urbanite
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    Just to add one final method.

Various banking apps now let you "top up" with a debit card.

I've tried curve with Starling and it let me top up fine, essentially putting cash into a current account right off my Cc....
    Originally posted by jtgaoler

Good luck with that!
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 9th Mar 18, 9:41 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:41 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:41 PM
    Curve Compliance Team are a pain in the neck. Questioned my spend when it's genuine.

If you are solely looking to transfer money etc, I'd say hit it hard and enjoy it while it lasts!!!
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 10th Mar 18, 9:46 AM
    • 532 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:46 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:46 AM
    Unfortunately not with Curve at present. The top cards are Amex which Curve still don't support at present.

Everything else is capped at 0.5%, unless you trigger store-specific spend (e.g. 1% ASDA, 0.75% Amazon) - however the store specific spend doesn't trigger if you use curve.

So spend at Amazon and charge to Curve. Use Amazon as the underlying card and you'll only get the standard 0.5% as it's a transaction 'at' (through) Curve - sadly.

Effectively Curve maximum for ATM withdrawals is 200 * 12 * 0.5% - so 12 a year. If you do any cash recycling as suggested above, it's possible to get more but Curve will eventually boot you off if they suspect that. In terms of generating "extra" cashback - the real win is going to be for people using Curve (and then underlying Cashback Credit Card) where a debit card would normally be mandatory - e.g. HMRC. As HMRC is clearly a business expense, even Curve can't kick off about that.....
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 10th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    This is the reason I got Curve... To use it somewhere that doesn't take Visa credit cards (CostCo). I use it for everything now as it's easier, unless I need section 75 protection then I pay directly on my credit card.

I'd suggest not using it to get cashback (via cash recycling), it will only serve to implement costs on those of us who don't! That and you will be quickly booted off.

My only gripe with Curve is you cannot disable DCC (and therefore the associated 1% fee)... So I won't be using it abroad (having to change currency each time is a faff).
    Last edited by stevenhp1987; 14-04-2018 at 10:20 PM. Reason: correct the post
    • jtgaoler
    • By jtgaoler 10th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jtgaoler
    in order to gain rewards on the funding card or Curve Rewards
    This is the crucial part of the Fair Use policy.
    Simply topping up a prepaid card or account with your Curve card is not going to get you rewards on the funding card or Curve.
    • jtgaoler
    • By jtgaoler 10th Mar 18, 4:06 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jtgaoler
    Good luck with that!
    Thanks! Working very well so far.
    Curve also kindly increased my limit when I asked on live chat.
    • Jakg
    • By Jakg 14th Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    Jakg
    Would PayPal friends and family payment be picked up as "cash recycling" I wonder?
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 16th Mar 18, 10:43 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    Free for the standard card yes. Paid card has a few perks like double reward points and a fancy wallet, but not sure it's worth 50!

No credit check, just an ID/AML check
    • jtgaoler
    • By jtgaoler 20th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jtgaoler
    @Jakg

Would PayPal friends and family payment be picked up as "cash recycling" I wonder?

As noted above, I think the key part of the Fair Use policy is that you have to be doing this

in order to gain rewards on the funding card or Curve Rewards

If you are actually just transferring money to them, I can't see how this would be a breach.
    If you mean you would transfer money to them, then they would transfer it back so you could get max. e.g. Amex points, then it clearly would.

BUT, how on earth Curve could check this definitively is not clear.
    Of course, they might just block you 'on suspicion', as they are perfectly entitled to withdraw their service at any time....
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 20th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    Rewards on the funding card is only part of that clause, but it's open to interpretation because they've added it in.

How they apply it, and how it should really be worded is:

Cash recycling
    In addition to the fees listed above, any behaviour which Curve deems to be !!!8220;cash recycling!!!8221; is not permitted. This is where high volumes of cash (e.g. defined by a high cash to spend ratio) are taken out of an ATM using a credit card
    You could also argue that they are saying:

taken out of an ATM using a credit card [full stop here] or [an]other payment card, and then used to repay the card in order to gain rewards on the funding card

Although, as they're eligible for FOS referral, they might not want to be too heavy handed - if they have too many complaints it costs them 550 (or whatever the charge is these days!) for complaint investigated by FOS.

But although they may well refer you to the FUP, or say you've broken it (particularly in relation to online transactions rather than ATM). They won't have an argument with you - I'm fairly sure they'll just refer you to terms and conditions as you say, it's effectively a free-for-all!

Clause 3.1 - They reduce your ATM limit to something like 1, which you obviously then can't cash

Clause 3.3 - And ask for lot of information you can't provide, especially if you are registered as a business but aren't actually trading

Clause 3.8 - In managing risk, they can limit your credit cards (or any debit cards they think are being abused) for any and/or all transactions

Clause 6.1.4 - They may argue it's "reasonable" to request a copy of your paypal statement in relation to certain Curve Transactions

Clause 6.1.5 - Although they need to amend it

Clause 6.1.7 - In particular, fees (/higher fees than average by taking the pee)

6.1.8, 6.1.9 and any of 7.6/7.7

I like it as a genuine useful tool, so although there are many ways I could take the mick @ 0.5% cashback it's not worth it in my view. You'd have to get something like 5k through their pronto and find a way to cash it out (e.g. Paypal etc) for it to even be remotely worth it - on say a 0% card for 30 months or whatever.
    Last edited by Somerset La La La; 20-03-2018 at 6:52 PM.
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 4th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    In the app there is a support/chat

I don't think they have support by phone, although you could try phoning lost & stolen to see if there's any blocks on the card.

Sounds obvious I know - but make sure you have selected the correct funding source in the app and verified it through Mastercard SecureCode or whatever (I had to verify some, but not all, of my cards).

Also click on view limits to see what your limits are - Initially they're lower for new users, although I assume you're not making massive spends.

First transaction also has to be Chip and PIN by the way (in common with all cards I think)
    • adindas
    • By adindas 7th Apr 18, 4:18 PM
    • 3,508 Posts
    • 2,187 Thanks
    adindas
    I just a message from Curve team that they do not allow to link REward Creditcard to Curve anymore and any transaction linking to this reward creditcatd will be declined.

I wonder about people personal experience.
    Does Curve still allow you to link Curve Card with reward creditcard recently ?
    • The Urbanite
    • By The Urbanite 8th Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    The Urbanite
    I just a message from Curve team that they do not allow to link REward Creditcard to Curve anymore and any transaction linking to this reward creditcatd will be declined.

I wonder about people personal experience.
    Does Curve still allow you to link Curve Card with reward creditcard recently ?
    Originally posted by adindas
    Any chance you could copy and paste the message with personal information removed?

Have you been paying off credit card bills or withdrawing more cash than the amount you're spending? I use it purely for non-financial transactions and the odd genuine cash withdrawal and not had any message of the sort yet.
    Last edited by The Urbanite; 08-04-2018 at 8:17 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

2,058Users online

Martin's Twitter