Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    • 3,574Posts
    • 9,785Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Balancing not just the budget
    • 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    Balancing not just the budget 18th Jan 13 at 11:19 PM
    Well it's been more than a few months and I seem to still have more than a few questions, so I think it's time for a new thread

(The old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3629199)
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 18-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...
    Campervan loan progress 6%

Page 2
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 27th Jan 13, 10:04 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    And just to add a little

Home insurance now sorted, 61.50 including legal cover and should give 19 cashback too.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 30th Jan 13, 10:16 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I ought to stop going to Waitro5e

Popped in there tonight as I needed frozen chicken breasts and mature goat's cheese that I can't get anywhere else. Thought the total was a bit high and turns out the ham I picked up was a fiver, not the 3 I thought, and the buckwheat noodles (I'm trying to reduce gluten) were a fiver too - think I was so chuffed at finding them I just didn't look!

On the bright side I just taught myself to make Breton chicken which turns out to be very easy and is another thing I can do with an extra portion to take in for lunch at work. Should be working from home on Friday so hopefully that will be a full week I have managed to eat healthy stuff that is still cheaper than raiding M&S

Tomorrow I must switch the phone and broadband as my current contract helpfully expires just in time to take on the Pr1mu5 offer. Reducing that should cover the rent increase so my outgoings stay the same

Oh and I called in sick today despite the amount of nonsense going on at work. I cannot cover three people's jobs effectively and I refuse to mess up my interview prep by trying. I sent a few emails for the most important things and the rest will have to wait. This is SO progress compared to last year. Slept for most of the day and feel a whole lot better.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 3rd Feb 13, 10:53 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I finally had a haircut and remembered that I'm very lucky not to have them more often - think it's about 6 months since the last one! I am growing it anyway (stuff all that flannel about you can't have long hair in your 30s) and it's a little bit shorter than I wanted but does curl better so guess it's OK.

Also just spent 20 on one pair of tights - I love the flower Tabio ones but can't get to a branch before my interview and nowhere has tights in stock because they're all switching to summer stuff so decided to spend the 4 delivery charge rather than waste any more time shopping. They do last longer than ones from anywhere else as well.

Though have done naff all swotting this weekend as was absolutely wiped out and have slept for loads of it - think it's the stressful week making the difference as I had got used to having things under control. Anyway I have 5 full days to prep just beforehand so certainly no need to panic.

Still haven't heard back from Primu5 about the MAC code for my phone and broadband switch so am hoping that they ask this week. Can't find anything confirming whether my CTax is going to go up.

Interestingly and rather unhelpfully, part of my brain is now stressing about what would happen if I got the job and how expensive it all might be - am telling it to shut up and work on something more helpful like the preparation I need to do

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 23rd Feb 13, 8:00 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Ooops well I have been kinda AWOL and not even lurking - had a birthday and a trip away and the big interview thing. Bad news is didn't get the job - bit peeved, might try again next year. Good news is money situation not too bad - only 50 off the OD this month but it's partly because I've paid for a year's line rental upfront. The trip away was paid for out of my holiday budget feeling v smug... and also had a good day at a spa on a deal that was only 30 so rather pleased with that.

There is a possibility that work are finally going to sort out an acting up role for me, which should mean a bit of extra cash. Allegedly I can sign for this next week, but given how long it's taken to get to this point I am not at all confident it's going to actually happen. Fingers crossed it does.

Bought a pair of jeans today as my old ones finally wore through and weren't decent any more, and the ones I bought before Christmas completely abandoned their stretch after the first wash and fall down! I SO hate jeans shopping but think I've found a decent pair from Ga7. By complete coincidence denim was 30% off today so they were only 32 - not bad. Also I was good and went home rather than waiting in town for my friend who's staying over tonight... and then I've arranged to pick her up and cook here instead of going out. Another 20 or so saved

Oh and one more MSE thing... I got a letter from one of the CCs offering me an extra 2K limit and they agreed to a low life of balance transfer with no fee so have shifted 1,750 from an expensive card to 6.8%. Really pleased as was turned down when I applied for another low rate one a couple of weeks ago.

Some barsteward bumped my car and broke the lights as well as scraping the bumper - that was 100 but it was there in the car fund and I tried out a garage that someone at work recommended who turned out to be fab. Will be taking it to them for service and MOT in a few months.

Have had a spring clean today after realising that the car was really embarrassingly dusty inside I hadn't looked at it in daylight for weeks and it was only when I got it back from the garage I realised what a state it was in! So have hoovered it and done the tyres and the screenwash etc. Also cleaned the house and now just need to get on with the scanning and ebaying that I've been talking about for months . No excuse now the big interview is over as well as the MSc.

I do need to have a bit of a think about goals for this year as decided even if they do give me an upgraded job I need to get out of there within a year or so. Will post something when I've thought it through.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 23rd Feb 13, 8:03 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Oh and one more breaking news thing... somebody pointed out to me that the local council gym is only down the road - for some reason I thought it was further away but was obviously deluding myself

So am going to pop in there in the week and find out more. As I'm not studying any more, am thinking of having a few months to focus on getting fit and I really need some encouragement otherwise I will just fade things out after a few weeks.

I can't believe I'm seriously thinking of a gym then again I can't believe I am 30-something and that the muffin top is attempting to resurface

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 23rd Feb 13, 8:34 PM
    • 7,405 Posts
    • 50,954 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Lovely to hear from you Rosa. Sorry about the job but my FIL always says 'what's for you will not go by you' so perhaps it wasn't for you at this time.

Grr to the car, isn't it annoying when you take care of something just for some barsteward to damage it. I cleaned mine out last weekend, rather full of mud and grass from boot camp. Still needs a wash but I might treat it to a trip to the spa (aka a hand wash that I pass on the way home from work) after pay day.

I can't believe I'm seriously thinking of a gym then again I can't believe I am 30-something and that the muffin top is attempting to resurface
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    It's not a muffin-top ...it's waist muscle
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• vasseur
    • By vasseur 23rd Feb 13, 9:17 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 9,881 Thanks
    vasseur
    Shame about the job and the car but you are sounding very upbeat.

to the new jeans though. I HATE buying jeans and never usually own more than 2 pairs. When i find some that fit i tend to just wear them until they fall off me and then have the whole sorry jeans shopping thing to do again.

God luck at the gym!
    It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back....
    Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 25th Feb 13, 7:20 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    It's not a muffin-top ...it's waist muscle
    Originally posted by kerri gt

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 25th Feb 13, 7:28 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Well having madly tidied the whole flat and car on Saturday (and had a lovely day with friend yesterday) am now looking at clean flat and wondering where my resident guilt got to/ what I've forgotten.

Finally tried out online ordering only to realise that I've stocked up quite effectively in the last few weeks so don't need enough stuff to get the 12 off . Guess I'll just pop down there when I need something and try to stick to the list.

Have looked at the gym classes and am v annoyed to see that they don't have any yoga or Pilates classes on weekday evenings. So would only be able to do swim or gym. Am considering investigating the David Ll0yd but last time I did that, they refused to tell me a cost which I took to be a bad sign.

Didn't spend too much on the weekend either, I cooked for us on Friday night so only bought lunch out. We did have coffee too but they couldn't get the till to work and said they'd bring over the card thing... but didn't and we only realised when halfway down the stairs and they were closing. As the staff had spoken to us twice and nodded goodbye I don't feel too guilty, it's not like we were hiding!

Long day in the city tomorrow for a meeting so will try to have an early night. I've managed several of those in a row now and it's quite odd to wake up feeling OK and refreshed and un-resentful

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 25th Feb 13, 10:14 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Just ordered 60 litres of cat litter - the receptionist at work is going to hate me

But thanks to a combo of offers on Zooplus it makes it about half the usual price (and am pleased I have just used that on more stuff we need, not random toys the moggies won't use!)

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 27th Feb 13, 8:11 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Pay update - really p'd off!
    AM REALLY P*D OFF

Letter re change of post will now apparently not be available to sign until next week. Supposedly only because director and hr guy are out of the office on different days, but still peeved.

And have just found out that I've missed the expenses deadline for the interview I didn't get. They've said 14 days instead of the standard NHS month. Will send it tomorrow but that may be 100 down the pan. I didn't want to look at it straight after the interview - there's a lesson, next time I will put anything aside and have it ready to just stick in an envelope.

Those expenses and paying for internet upfront mean that my total has gone up from last month and is now 9,945 debt with 9,214 net status.

And I decided this afternoon to take Friday afternoon off and treat myself to a facial together with my eyelash tint. Which I may not be able to cancel as they have a charge for cancelling within 2 days.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 27th Feb 13, 8:15 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Oh and also the expenses I was expecting this month haven't turned up plus the Sm1le website has started doing something darn silly and insists on giving me transactions by statement date instead of allowing me to see what went where when. So will be swiftly closing that account if it's not sorted soon.

Breathe, breathe, be very glad I have booked Friday pm off and just enjoy the facial anyway.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• Shelski
    • By Shelski 27th Feb 13, 8:57 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    Shelski
    Well having madly tidied the whole flat and car on Saturday (and had a lovely day with friend yesterday) am now looking at clean flat and wondering where my resident guilt got to/ what I've forgotten.

Finally tried out online ordering only to realise that I've stocked up quite effectively in the last few weeks so don't need enough stuff to get the 12 off . Guess I'll just pop down there when I need something and try to stick to the list.

Have looked at the gym classes and am v annoyed to see that they don't have any yoga or Pilates classes on weekday evenings. So would only be able to do swim or gym. Am considering investigating the David Ll0yd but last time I did that, they refused to tell me a cost which I took to be a bad sign.

Didn't spend too much on the weekend either, I cooked for us on Friday night so only bought lunch out. We did have coffee too but they couldn't get the till to work and said they'd bring over the card thing... but didn't and we only realised when halfway down the stairs and they were closing. As the staff had spoken to us twice and nodded goodbye I don't feel too guilty, it's not like we were hiding!

Long day in the city tomorrow for a meeting so will try to have an early night. I've managed several of those in a row now and it's quite odd to wake up feeling OK and refreshed and un-resentful

Rosa xx
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    David Lloyd gyms are brilliant with a fab range of classes, but they are very very expensive
    Number of debts between us - 3 (2 @ 0%)
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 27th Feb 13, 10:34 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    David Lloyd gyms are brilliant with a fab range of classes, but they are very very expensive
    Originally posted by Shelski
    Thanks... that was my suspicion

Am going to go and talk to the council one tomorrow night as even if I only do gym and swim, I could probably afford private lessons and still pay less than for DL. I also realised that now I have to get home and feed the cats I can't go straight to the DL one anyway.

My Quidco cashback from M0reTh4n has FINALLY come through - faster payer my ****. But that's an extra 60 which is very welcome and has taken the edge of the grumpiness

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 10th Mar 13, 11:23 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    140 for vet consultation and lab tests - little mog's sensitive tum is still not sorted
    28 for Fel1way diffuser

22 on underwear set which is going back :/

30 on essential oil but it's going to be used in homemade stuff and will be very much paid for by not buying Lu5h things

Found really good local aromatherapy shop and can buy stuff there now instead of online - they even have a body cream which will be cheaper than my other option.

Haven't dared add it all up yet.

Also haven't made dentist appt which is good in that it can now happen after payday but very very bad because a) when I made the appointment I hadn't been for over a year and b) that was 3 months ago when they told me I needed this filling.

I also need to book an optician's appointment - if I haven't done it when I next post please shout at me.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 14th Mar 13, 7:45 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    OK adding up done - bad news is have about 105 left til payday (assuming I take off the 100 I wanted to pay to the OD). But that's after paying back the vet bill to the credit card, so I could drop the OD payment if I need to.

Good news is have FINALLY signed the papers for acting up to the next grade. It's only for a few months but means I can demonstrate the work on my CV. Should be a bit extra cash as well, but I don't know exactly how much yet. I may live to regret this as it's unlikely the extra cash will justify the extra hassle of managing the team I've now got to sort out...

CTax bill received and is about 2 a payment higher than last year's, so has gone up slightly. But I've already requested monthly payments so it should go down per month.

Still haven't booked dentist or opticians yet so deserve online nagging

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• vasseur
    • By vasseur 16th Mar 13, 8:27 AM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 9,881 Thanks
    vasseur
    Consider yourself nagged although I can hardly talk because I didn't go to the opticians for 5 years and I knew i needed to for at least 3 of those years. I have my new glasses now and I love them.

Good news on signing the new papers, hope it all works out with your new team.
    Last edited by vasseur; 16-03-2013 at 7:26 PM.
    It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back....
    Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th Mar 13, 1:01 PM
    • 7,405 Posts
    • 50,954 Thanks
    kerri gt
    And I'm nagging you about the dentist - you only get one set of teeth (well adult teeth) and I've seen my mum go through the pain of nearly losing her teeth (partly due to not going and unfortunately partly due to issues a prev dentist missed) - thankfully our current dentist saved many of her teeth but it's the one thing I am religious about going to even though I don't particularly enjoy the experience.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 17th Mar 13, 10:30 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Right, big reminder now in phone to make dentist and optician calls on Monday. I have Friday off so might be able to do the optician then - not the dentist though as it's graduation ceremony on Sat and don't want to risk hamster face in photos!

Currently brain working in background about what on earth to do with new team - suffice to say am inheriting something of a mess. Not one of the permanent staff comes without issues, there is no structure in place and there is total panic over moving to our new organisation... so something of a challenge! I guess I could just sit back and say 'only got it for a few months, can't fix it all, doing the minimum' but that's not me, and it needs sorting... and I do want to show I can run a team as will need it to work at the next level properly. So currently setting up meetings and picking friend's brains for positive examples of team management... any suggestions appreciated!

Also, I've joined a gym . Just the local council one, as it's month by month. Set up to start membership next month and have appointment booked for assessment and induction - they're free if you take the monthly direct debit so worth doing for at least the first month and might get free month by referring friend who is also about to join . Has required that I buy sports bra which I did today as am out all next weekend and don't intend going anywhere near town over Easter! Not cheap but goes on Brav1ssimo loyalty scheme so eventually 10% off

Finally getting nearly bored enough to start the ebay photos too

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 27th Mar 13, 11:24 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,785 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Payday update for March13
    Well it's all a bit complicated this month but in short things are going OK.

As I'm transferring employers at the end of the month payroll are a bit swamped and I don't seem to have had two month's expenses or my backdated acting up money. I'm told it should come through on an extra run later in the month so have estimated it for now.

I have got my council tax over 12 months so that's going to save me about 20 on each monthly bill and make planning rather more straightforward. I've also been good and paid straight back to the credit card everything that got put on it this month. There are some extras that went on the OD as I went out with a friend who came down for the weekend and of course there was my train ticket to my graduation ceremony.

Graduation was OK but I had a fabulous catch-up with some lovely friends afterwards - several of them had travelled in and I was really touched. Also had some lovely messages on FB so feeling very grateful for my fab friends.

My estimates for this month put my total debt at only about 150 lower than last month - 9,820 - but because the savings pots are quite healthy the net status is FINALLY below 9K at 8,910 which I think is something to celebrate

Also I haven't got anything major planned for April or May, my graduation photos etc was already paid for and I'm going to rearrange my flat over Easter rather than going away anywhere . The cats are still costing me a fortune as the little one's sensitive tummy still isn't right but other than that I hope costs will settle down a bit in the next couple of months.

We get a 1% pay increase which should about cover the increase to my pension contributions, and I'm hoping that the extra tax allowance will give me a little extra in my pay each month (and I do mean a little, it will probably only add up to about 10).

Apart from that the only money news is that I have a mystery charge from Pr1mu5 for 19 - very odd since I paid the line rental in advance and they are only supposed to be billing me 99p/month for the internet... glad I spotted that and will be chasing them up.

Not much excitement in the rest of my life, just had a chilled and lovely time last weekend and hoping to do the same for the 4-day one coming

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,614Posts Today

9,410Users online

Martin's Twitter