Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,593Posts
    • 9,467Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, 840 left at 94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, 2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks 200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 61
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 16th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Thanks Rosa, that's useful to know.
    I made a Ginger Crunch instead which is ginger shortbread with ginger fudge icing. There was a version in the vegan book I bought the other day and the idea appealed.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Oooh ginger crunch sounds yummy.

Credit for the microwaving fruit idea should also go to someone online though I can't remember precisely who - I think it was in the comments on the online recipe. Just as well as I think Nigella was recommending cooking them for three hours and those of us with jobs that require us to leave the kitchen ain't doing that .

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Apr 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 9,467 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I will never be making the ginger crunch again. It is lethally addictive. And I weighed myself last night

Drum roll please, today, for the first time ever, I did my tax return in April. I now know exactly what I owe, and what OH owes and it is less than we had in the tax savings account so the surplus can go in the emergency fund, hurrah.

Otherwise not a very productive day although I have managed nearly 10k of unproductive steps so not all bad.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 16th Apr 18, 11:10 PM
    • 12,500 Posts
    • 218,872 Thanks
    greenbee
    Congrats on the tax return. I know I'll be waiting for a while to get all the bits I need for mine - it tends to take a couple of months, but I guess I should start.

Am in a somewhat grotty hotel in Italy, where I've been attempting to work after a brisk walk round the local area (not hugely inspiring). I was hoping to get my head into Italian mode ready for tomorrow, but unfortunately my German colleagues kept speaking English, so I'm now worse off than when I got off the plane. I hope I'll be able to find the Italians tomorrow and make them talk at me for a couple of hours

I haven't weighed myself, but my travel PJs are feeling a bit snug. Need to do better. Risotto (delicious, but still risotto) for supper probably didn't help. Nor the muffin at the airport...
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Apr 18, 7:52 AM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 14,036 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Yey. Well done on the tax return. I'm sure that is a weight off your mind
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Apr 18, 9:26 AM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 9,467 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I've still got the business returns to do but have already paid the tax on that so I'm glad I did it rather than knowing there was a vague amount due.

Hair cut and roots this morning, and then parents evening. Its quite windy and overcast so at least not wasting a good gardening day. The wind is drying out the soil nicely, so hopefully the sunny days do materialise and I can crack on tomorrow.

I was looking at seeds yesterday as I have no leaves/lettuce seeds which was one of the most useful things last year. 1.50 in MrL, at which point it has to generate an awful lot of salad to justify the cost. Need to have a check elsewhere.

Last night we had freezer salmon (in the oven with a drizzle of honey) with a honey and mustard dressing, new potatoes and a huge mixed salad. I did enough spare potatoes for OH to take salad, potato salad (with horseradish, yum) and leftover beef for lunch today which will make a nice change from soup. MrL had some nice frozen tuna steaks which I should have bought. Will pick some up next time if they still have them, they will make an excellent dinner salad. I've boiled him some eggs for fridge grazing, and need to make a lentil loaf or something similar later.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 9,467 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Wilkos obliged with some mixed salad seeds - 1 for 1400 seeds so better value and should do this year and next. I spotted some tins of exterior varnish for 1 in the clearance bit, always useful so I got a couple.

Tuna steak with a big mixed salad tonight. MrL have some in the freezer bit - a rare treat.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Apr 18, 5:43 PM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 14,036 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Tuna salad sounds nice for this weather and the varnish is a total bargain
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 18th Apr 18, 8:36 PM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 35,882 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Ugh you've just reminded me I'll have to fill in Mr SA's tax return shortly.

Hope you've enjoyed the lovely weather today
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 250.33
    Debt 2572.50
    April NSDs 2 AFDs 3
    Weight loss 7/10LBS Emergency Fund 2000/10,000
    Dining room fund
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 19th Apr 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 9,467 Thanks
    redofromstart
    And the weather today? Scorchio!

I've weedkillered the drive and paths at the front, as I know where all of the cats are. Upside snoozing in the sun mostly, and who can blame them? Buying a 5 lilte tub of high strength stuff last year has certainly paid off compared to buying sachets.

Potted on the courgettes, and planted some chilli seed. I now have a whole 4 tomato plants germinated which will do although I hope a couple more will come up.

The blackbirds eggs have all hatched, and its lovely to watch the parents gathering bits for them. The stupid pigeons keep trying to nest in the (cat climbing frame) wisteria.

Aldee seem to have a new 50% off policy so there is actually RTC stuff first thing in the morning. All the super 6 stuff was stickered yesterday so I have far too much veg. I made some marinated mushrooms as an experiment, they will form part of dinner tonight so I am hoping they will make another good cold salad option.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 19th Apr 18, 8:54 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 20,337 Thanks
    sashybo
    Doing well with the seedlings redo. Hopefully it will be a better year for veg this year, last year we just didn't do well at all & the weather didn't help (although having a newborn might have had something to do with it as well ).

Hope the furries enjoyed their sunbathing, my Siamese boy loves the sun but my British gets too hot & prefers the shade. Recently departed little cat was a total sun worshipper though.

I like the new 50% off rtc stuff at Mr Al's. Although I stocked up on hot cross buns so not as healthy as you.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - 10,242 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off 50,592
    Loan 2575.31, CC 0% BT 1250, Car loans 22,960.14

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 20th Apr 18, 8:02 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 9,467 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Sashybo, I gave up for a couple of years when the boys were tiny. Something had to give, and veg growing was one of the things. Its great to get back into it again.

Today OH had a day off (for reasons of sunshine) and we went to visit some proper gardens, which was quite motivating. Good to go while you could see the backbone/structure rather than just lots of plants.

The marinated mushrooms were lovely, a keeper. Must remember to write it out before I lose it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

457Posts Today

5,581Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin