Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    • 3,574Posts
    • 9,784Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Balancing not just the budget
    • 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    Balancing not just the budget 18th Jan 13 at 11:19 PM
    Well it's been more than a few months and I seem to still have more than a few questions, so I think it's time for a new thread

(The old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3629199)
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 18-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...
    Campervan loan progress 6%

Page 91
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 56,839 Posts
    • 231,472 Thanks
    beanielou
    Boo to the electric bill.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 12th Apr 18, 10:15 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,784 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Confessing the cracks
    thank you DIA and Beanie

In honour of discussions elsewhere about imperfection and the cracks where the light gets in...

Cracks
    • I still haven't brushed the carp off the stairs even though robovac has saved me vacuuming the actual floors
    • I haven't dismantled the last piece of furniture which turned out to be too broken to go with the charity stuff, which means that my living room has been a tip since Tuesday and will now stay that way til Sunday
    • I have just washed my hair but only after realising what a disaster it looked in the work loos today - it should have been done yesterday
    • My skin is blotched to **** after being ill
    • I still haven't sent the three short emails I am supposed to do for extra contract and that I have now received two reminders about
    • I have only just accepted that fighting/ resenting/ ignoring a minor health condition makes it worse and prevents me doing things, after a review appointment with a brilliant pharmacist who tactfully pointed out they know fine well it is not managed because I get through the meds too fast. I've had it since childhood. Slow learner
    • I am in dire need of Pilates/ yoga/ walking/ exercise in general - my posture is getting appalling and I could do with shifting a little weight and toning the rest
    • I'm not even going to tell you the state of the garden except that it's a mess compared to the neighbours

Light coming in

• It is darn silly to make myself ill when there is no need - that's a whole lot more stupid than admitting I need to change medication. There is good care available and offered to me free - how mad have I been to turn it away?
    • I will sort the furniture and tidy the living room on Sunday. Then I need one more Swedish store trip which can be a weekend, or I might take a half day and take a friend with me so that it's fun
    • When the living room is sorted and now that the robot hoover is here, I will be able to do floor exercises again
    • I'm going to see one of my very best friends tomorrow, who will cheer me up and make me eat properly and we're going to a style event which will give me lots of ideas on how I want to look which will help motivate me to exercise
    • The house is making progress. It's so nearly there, I just need to be patient.

I should probably do this every week along with the money shuffles

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 12th Apr 18, 11:16 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,784 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Update - have now sent the emails, and made slight progress with organising related folders. Babysteps...
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 12th Apr 18, 11:29 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Talking of style.

Well today I tried on some very expensive jeans still BNWT in my wardrobe 195 ( ) and I could get them on and zipped up but so skinny I could not walk or breathe sooo after thinking for a second but I still do look really fabulous in them, I then toppled over and knocked my head - which actually knocked some sense in to me - so they will be going on fleabay silver lining in all that.

You must look after you - I actually think you are incredible
    and very organised, don't be so hard on you so what if the stairs still have some fluff

Boo to the electric - appreciate that's really stressful but glad to hear its in hand.
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 12th Apr 18, 11:33 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    thank you DIA and Beanie

In honour of discussions elsewhere about imperfection and the cracks where the light gets in...

Cracks
    [LIST]
    [*]I have only just accepted that fighting/ resenting/ ignoring a minor health condition makes it worse and prevents me doing things, after a review appointment with a brilliant pharmacist who tactfully pointed out they know fine well it is not managed because I get through the meds too fast. I've had it since childhood. Slow learner

Rosa xx
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    What is the saying ..all the best people are mad ..?

Now having visions of you being a mental lady with like 200 moggies on the stairs that would defo explain the fluff

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 56,839 Posts
    • 231,472 Thanks
    beanielou
    Baby steps are good

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Apr 18, 8:19 PM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 17,752 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    [*]I'm going to see one of my very best friends tomorrow, who will cheer me up and make me eat properly and we're going to a style event which will give me lots of ideas on how I want to look which will help motivate me to exercise
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Sounds wonderful. such a good idea for a girly day out. I hope it went well
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Apr 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 11,918 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Still smiling at the 'cracks are where the lights get in'. I did wash my hair last night in the end, badly, in the bath but better than not at all. Its sticky rather than dirty today

How much for jeans Sam
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 15th Apr 18, 12:46 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,784 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Yes Sam, clearly all the best people are mad I have owned shoes that have made me fall over, and bottles of alcohol, and occasionally curse the cats for trying it, but never managed to cause it with jeans

Stairs will probably get sorted today along with taking furniture apart, though I make no promises as to whether it will make it to the tip - will most likely be hidden behind the bins for now.

Had a great day at style event, came home with a couple of things that fit my usual style and one gorgeous piece that is an unusual colour for me, but looks fab. And won a great prize on the raffle

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 15th Apr 18, 3:27 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Glad to hear you had a great time
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 15th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,784 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Sunday shuffles...

Too much work done today, doesn't feel like I got any chill time so must try and avoid that in future and balance a bit better. Some garden work done, old furniture dismantled and put by bins, new furniture put together. Haven't got the room sorted again but at least that's less of a job and can be done bit by bit. *all together now* Progress not perfection...

Accounts are ok - one transaction appears to have disappeared between statements on the CC, and I had to ring the bank to find out about a mysterious small payment with just a numerical reference that I didn't recognise. Because I couldn't sleep anyway, I rang at 4am and checked it with the supposed fraud department who were most unhelpful and told me it was probably just an error generated as the account updates went through and to ring customer services if it was still there at 8! Just as well it turned out to be a cheque

Still no tax bill, and I have a payment demand from the old electricity supplier who told me they would be taking the money by direct debit so will have to waste time ringing them tomorrow.

Need to build the small buffer pots back up again as the medical one has been decimated by taxi fares and prescription charges, and there isn't much in the vet bills one either. Still, payday not all that far off now. I made a small overpayment to the mortgage just because it should mean it gets below another 1k mark with the next monthly payment. Budget is otherwise looking ok so far, I can't think of any planned spends before payday except for petrol next weekend and will be staying with family so that will be a cheap trip otherwise. Fingers crossed for a little bit left over but not counting chickens etc.

Cracks and lighting still in progress too

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 15th Apr 18, 10:17 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,784 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Though I did vacuum the stairs - new filter has given old vacuum its suction power back so that was a very well spent 7.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 16th Apr 18, 11:05 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,784 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Ignorance is not bliss, it is expensive
    So after an unhelpful response from the electricity company, I have been doing some online digging and it appears I have an odd meter that is set up for Economy 10. I think what has happened is that the suppliers have told me Economy 7 would be fine with this, while failing to mention that the extra 3 hours would still happen and of course there's nothing I can do to change it except switch the meter.

Time for some phone calls to establish exactly what the meter is set up to do so that I can try and untangle the best option. Of course I wish I'd done that a year ago, but I had other things on my mind

This means that I have 300 outstanding from December, and am currently in debit by 250, when the estimate for Economy 7 for a house of this size was less than 700 for the year . Not happy.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Apr 18, 7:45 AM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 11,918 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Ouch, thats a big jump.

The style event sounds good, I had a look at the site you said about on DIAs diary and have now signed up for the FB bit.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Apr 18, 7:50 AM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 17,752 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Ouch, thats a big jump.

The style event sounds good, I had a look at the site you said about on DIAs diary and have now signed up for the FB bit.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Hmmm, a bit jealous. I hope they have an event near to me...
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    • 56,839 Posts
    • 231,472 Thanks
    beanielou
    Wow, that is steep.

***Keep plodding***
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 17th Apr 18, 7:50 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,784 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    A bit more online digging and a reply from Bulb (who by the way have been really helpful), it looks like I actually have a meter set up for something that is even rarer than Economy 10. Which would have been really helpful to know from the first supplier I spoke to when I moved in, instead of being told it was Economy 10 and assuming that the tariff mentioned on the meter didn't exist any more . So at least now I know why the bills are hideous. Checking with the company who installed it which hours it is supposed to operate, and if they match up with what Bulb is telling me then will have to decide whether to stick with their off peak or move to one of the few suppliers who offer a relevant tariff. Sigh. Today's lesson - trust no sellers, google everything.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 17th Apr 18, 7:54 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,784 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Ouch, thats a big jump.

Originally posted by redofromstart
    Yay! The FB group is great, it's one of the few reasons I am still on fb. Really friendly and supportive.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 19th Apr 18, 7:59 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 9,784 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    My brain hurts trying to make sense of electricity tariff arrangements and it is such a waste of time and energy - it's not as if I don't have anything else to do - but of course it needs sorting to avoid wasting money. Emailing current supplier and original meter supplier to try and sort out who thinks what is on when. Horrified to find out current supplier thinks my supposedly off peak meter is actually on most of the time so that would explain the hideous bill. May have to get a timer put on the water heater.

And probably got a parking ticket today...

Just trying to be grateful that this is happening now and can be dealt with, not in my previous situation.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Apr 18, 8:21 PM
    • 56,839 Posts
    • 231,472 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hopefully not a parking ticket.
    Fingers crossed

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,808Posts Today

8,823Users online

Martin's Twitter