4 years 1 month and I want to be free

Hello all

Thought I'd start this to spur me on and get me more motivated to reach my goals.

I currently have about 17k in debt. I've never missed a payment and regular chuck more into pots. I just feel there never ending. Both me and husband work husband good job me part time with 4 children. We do have surplus income every month and I now don't use credit for anything.

I want to clear these debts I'll do a more detailed post of what they are later and need to do a soa. I need to start budgeting cos I just spend what we have and if owt left end of week distribute it to pots. I want to have money for annual car insurance etc instead of paying them monthly

I just have no more ideas how to clear them faster other than been I'm better control of monies.

I am training so I can work more hopefully around the kids in school but that looking forward 12 months.

I've given myself 4 years to clear because that's when we plan to move and I want to be completely debt free.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• So here goes

Cc1 2748.13
    Cc2 3887.03
    Cc3 2318.85

Loan 4048.44 23 payments left
    Furniture 900 rough guess need to find actual figure.

1k to family. This is to be paid next month and sorted.

So not as bad as I thought actually. That's positive.

Would like to clear these credit card pain in the neck and never use again.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Wishing you well on your journey.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good luck- it is doable!
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • Starmummy
    Starmummy Posts: 537 Forumite
    Best of luck on your journey. Our debt levels are similar.
    I find iot really helps to keep a spending diary/spreadsheet. try going through old bank statements of the past 2-3 months to see what you have actually been spending on what and set yourself a realistic budget. e.g if last month you spent £600 on groceries. it would be really hard to set your budget for half of that straight zway. you are better to reduce by £5 a week until you get to a spend level you are happy with. meal planning is key to this.
    keeping a diary also helps highlight your spending triggers. i.e its sunny lets go to the pub beer garden after work..or oh no it's raining again this makes me sad i deserve a takeaway.

I've found by really thinking about my spends i don't really get pleasure from buying 'stuff', i've actually started reading blogs about becoming minimalist to try and declutter our home . if i don't need it, it's not useful and i don't totally love it then i have no space for it.

the stuff can be sold and paid off the debt and i'm left with only stuff that makes my life easier or that makes me happy..then when the debt is gone i can focus on what really makes me happy..travel.

sorry for waffling. ha ha
    SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • Thank you everyone

Star mummy I love your waffling your words are exactly how I want to start thinking.

Organisation is key for me
    Declutter
    Meal planning
    Just life organised

And so much more acheieved
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Hi. My debt was £18500 last March and is £13400 ish now over a year later so I've been in the similar position of feeling hopeless. Get your soa down so you can see where you can make cuts to overpay debt etc. I look forward to following your journey :)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    What interest rates are you paying on those debts?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • The majority of the cc debt is on 0%. Only on of them I pay interest on some of the balance it works out at £15 a month in interest.

I can't take more cards out as 0 percent as I'm the lowest earner and all debts my name.

I am trying to log on daily and I'm pleased with how I'm coming along so far. No central heating on today and washing on the line. Made tea for tmoz night as busy day tmoz so no temptation chippy and took my own trouser up. I'm trying to get into money saving mindset.

Next plan is to meal plan as I know it's helps me money wise and makes me feel better organised. Do you plan for a week or a month please
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Could your other half take on some of your debts or is that a no go and advised against ? My husband is the only one in the house working at the moment so he's got all the new 0% deals we've taken out. We don't have seperate finances anyway which may be the wrong thing but it works at the moment. Once I'm working we will probably say my money is holiday/fun money and his is bills etc or whatever.
    I meal plan weekly , I bought this book on Amazon called The savvy shoppers cookbook and it's brilliant. She also has a blog/website with weekly meal plans and shopping lists where its around £30 for a weekly shop for a family of 4 . The meal plans are using recipes from the book. You spend more than £30 cos obviously cleaning stuff , toiletries etc but still it's brilliant.
  • Thank you

Storm89 all our finances are together too so in effect he is paying debt and to be fair it's all joint debt anyway.

I just tend t take them out in my name as easier for me to deal with make extra payments etc.....

We just put all our money in the one bank and pay bills and use what's left for whatever else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure